Advertisement

Review Group Week #282: Jonah Hex #69

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 46 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Re: Review Group Week #282: Jonah Hex #69

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:17 pm

Punchy wrote:We didn't know he was Jonah's dad until about halfway through, is my point, he was just some stereotypical old man up until then.

hence the spoiler and black out crap, fool!

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 375 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:23 pm

Daringd wrote:Sorry the review is late but

While I enjoyed Jonah Hex #69 I couldn't help but think Lemire's art didn't fit...at least for this kind of story. Besides that I thought it was great but that they could have gotten a better artist.

7.0/10

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you think Lemire's art fit the story? Everybody else seems to have thought it was one of the best parts of this issue.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:24 pm

thefourthman wrote:I think you might should restate that final sentence. Some of us might have to burn down your, well screw it, burn you down.

I'm ready to form a lynch mob!

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:35 pm

Eli Katz wrote:I'm ready to form a lynch mob!

Whoa there, let's hear him out first. Let him state his reasons for why he feels the way he does. He might have a good reason for his opinion.

If you still don't like his answer after that, well, have to with the lynching then. :P :wink:

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:01 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
Whoa there, let's hear him out first. Let him state his reasons for why he feels the way he does. He might have a good reason for his opinion.

If you still don't like his answer after that, well, have to with the lynching then. :P :wink:

This is the RG -- we need controversy and contempt or else we die.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:09 pm

Eli Katz wrote:This is the RG -- we need controversy and contempt or else we die.

Well, OK then, lynch away.

Just keep this in mind; if you're ever the one people are calling on to be lynched, I might not step in the way like I did here. :P

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 46 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:50 pm

Eli's a real man, he wants no back up from Canadians!

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 338 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:48 pm

I've been a Jonah Hex fan since the 70's. I still own that awful 80's scifi future series. I was gladly there for issue #1 of this current series as I have been for the entire run.

Reading the reviews here makes me hope some of you will continue to check the book out, because there have been some truly great stories in the issues you've missed (especially #50 drawn by Cooke).

As for this issue - I knew Jonah was going to eventually find his Pa, I just didn't know this was going to be it. Having a deeper background into the character than most, I state with certainty that the bastard got everything that came to him.

For a series that rarely mentions continuity, this issue was filled with dialog about previous tales - credit to Gray & Palmiotti because with every mention, I clearly recalled the details of those stories and how excellent they are.

This story was spectacular, years of waiting for this encounter and it's nothing like I expected it would be - this was better. The final scene was damn near perfect. With this series coming to an end (kinda) this issue serves as a great final chapter.

The art - while it fit the story excellently, I kept getting distracted by some inconsistent characters early on (the blond thief's face looked different every other panel for example). Once I got used to Lemire's style that feeling ebbed. Even so, for pulling me out of this book with his art, I can't give the book the perfect 10 it could have gotten.

Story - 10
Art - 9
Overall 9.5

Not part of this issue is what comes next. Sure Jonah will continue for another issue and then he moves on to All Star Western, but with his Pa now dead, that's one less demon Jonah needs to carry. With closure comes... what? I look forward to seeing what G & P come up with.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:48 am

Jonah Hex #69

I liked the art, I liked the story and I liked this comic. Jonah Hex usually leaves me wondering why i don't enjoy it more and usually it's down to the art I guess because when someone as accomplished as Lemire or Darwyn Cooke draws an issue this is a comic I want to read.

Sorry for the late and half-assed review. Reasons.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand