Advertisement

Review Group Week #283: Red Wing #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Review Group Week #283: Red Wing #1

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:59 pm

Starlord wrote:

And I rarely enjoy either of them. That being said I do like their non "big 2" stuff more. If they just want to play around with technique, that's fine with me. Create a book and do it. Just wish they wouldn't use the iconic books to pleasure themselves because all it really does is leave the pages sticky and undesirable to many purchasers.

No wonder the Big 2 books are just the same thing over and over.
The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:26 pm

There's only really one choice for next week...

Daredevil #1

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 41 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:27 pm

Punchy wrote:There's only really one choice for next week...

Daredevil #1

I'd get it if I wasn't tightening my stash. I spent over $20 for comics, this week. :oops:

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:43 pm

I like experimentation except when all you're doing is taking a fairly straightforward story and chopping up the narrative and/or in some other way making something not that interesting much more complicated with the tricks you can employ easily with graphic lit.

Some of the big two stuff by those guys, especially Hickman, is like that to me, and some isn't. Hickman's best stuff for me has never been his Marvel stuff though The Nightly News is the one I would call the most interesting. I haven't read transhuman though. This reminds me a little of Red Mass for Mars, which was my least favorite.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 48 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:23 pm

Daredevil #1

Awesome choice!

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 280 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:00 pm

Daredevil #1

Hmmm, I think its a big enough deal from Marvel that my LCS should have a copy for me to buy.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:32 pm

RED WING #1 is another silly book by Hickman. It is more coherent and straightforward than typical Hickman work, but it features some of his trademark flaws as a storyteller.

First, the story and dialogue are overloaded with mumbo-jumbo sci-fi talk. I know that Hickman loves to throw around portentous sounding, but ultimately meaningless phrases. But after all the mumbo-jumbo in SHIELD, it would great if he tried to write characters who say normal things for once. Second, the book is filled with epic space wasters that are meant to make the story seem BIGGER and BETTER than it actually is. That double-page spread of aphorisms about time and paradoxes is just ridiculous. Didn’t he do something similar in ULTIMATE THOR, if I remember correctly? Anyway, I would prefer more plot, better characterization, and much less white space. Finally, for all the overwrought dialogue and epic flourishes, Hickman tells what appears to be a fairly routine time-travel story. A time traveler lands in the wrong era. Yeah, I’ve never seen that before.

The art by Nick Pitarra is adequate but unremarkable, and too often the backgrounds in his panels lack detail. He also relies too much on color to fill the page and does not add enough shadows to give his illustrations a three-dimensional feel. Admittedly, the depiction of the ancient Mayan settlement at the end of the book is very good, but otherwise Pitarra’s work is lacking. The art, like the story itself, feels empty.

I suppose Hickman fans will praise this issue and miniseries. That’s fine. But if you are not a fan, and you haven't enjoyed his work so far, this series certainly won’t change your mind about him.

STORY: 2
ART: 4
OVERALL: 3

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 172 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:27 pm

Eli Katz wrote:RED WING #1 is another silly book by Hickman. It is more coherent and straightforward than typical Hickman work, but it features some of his trademark flaws as a storyteller.

First, the story and dialogue are overloaded with mumbo-jumbo sci-fi talk. I know that Hickman loves to throw around portentous sounding, but ultimately meaningless phrases. But after all the mumbo-jumbo in SHIELD, it would great if he tried to write characters who say normal things for once. Second, the book is filled with epic space wasters that are meant to make the story seem BIGGER and BETTER than it actually is. That double-page spread of aphorisms about time and paradoxes is just ridiculous. Didn’t he do something similar in ULTIMATE THOR, if I remember correctly? Anyway, I would prefer more plot, better characterization, and much less white space. Finally, for all the overwrought dialogue and epic flourishes, Hickman tells what appears to be a fairly routine time-travel story. A time traveler lands in the wrong era. Yeah, I’ve never seen that before.

The art by Nick Pitarra is adequate but unremarkable, and too often the backgrounds in his panels lack detail. He also relies too much on color to fill the page and does not add enough shadows to give his illustrations a three-dimensional feel. Admittedly, the depiction of the ancient Mayan settlement at the end of the book is very good, but otherwise Pitarra’s work is lacking. The art, like the story itself, feels empty.

I suppose Hickman fans will praise this issue and miniseries. That’s fine. But if you are not a fan, and you haven't enjoyed his work so far, this series certainly won’t change your mind about him.

holy shit maybe I shouldn't bother reading this.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 41 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:33 pm

Eli Katz wrote:RED WING #1 is another silly book by Hickman. It is more coherent and straightforward than typical Hickman work, but it features some of his trademark flaws as a storyteller.

:lol:

:P

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:48 pm

As much as I crap on Hickman, I do always look forward to reviewing his books. So if I'm wrong, I'm having a hell of a lot of fun doing it.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:50 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
holy shit maybe I shouldn't bother reading this.

Well, you never know -- you might really disagree with me.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:19 pm

wow, Eli is totally right. This comic really is just very boring and meandering and then of course the real moment of the comic is when the student ask about survival of a pod then you see someone survive a crash probably the main characters son....yeah this comic looks very paint by numbers and I can't imagine it getting any better.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:20 pm

Eli Katz wrote:As much as I crap on Hickman, I do always look forward to reviewing his books. So if I'm wrong, I'm having a hell of a lot of fun doing it.

his ff is actually kind of good..till he kills johnny.

- Les Paul

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:25 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
his ff is actually kind of good..till he kills johnny.

I only read the Johnny death bag issue, which I didn't like. So I can't comment.

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Eli Katz wrote:First, the story and dialogue are overloaded with mumbo-jumbo sci-fi talk.

I stopped reading after this line.

When you watch an episode of Star Trek do you complain that it's not The Wire?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand