Advertisement

Review Group Week #283: Red Wing #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: Review Group Week #283: Red Wing #1

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:30 am

Punchy wrote:
Matt Murdock has mother issues too, and issues with women, pretty much issues with everything really, he's fucked up.

Issues with everything? There is a protagonist I should be able to relate to.

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:34 am

Geoff Johns is another one who always writes about daddy issues.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:37 am

Yeah common literary theme outside comics too, I am just surprised that it seems to be everywhere lately.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:40 am

Asmodeus Jones wrote:Yeah common literary theme outside comics too, I am just surprised that it seems to be everywhere lately.

I guess most writers of genre stuff are the kind of nerdy kids who didn't get along with their more macho fathers, because they came from a different generation where men were men and fixed cars and ate raw meat, rather than play D&D :groucho:

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:44 am

Punchy wrote:
I guess most writers of genre stuff are the kind of nerdy kids who didn't get along with their more macho fathers, because they came from a different generation where men were men and fixed cars and ate raw meat, rather than play D&D :groucho:

That definitely isn't a model I would be personally accustomed to by experience, perhaps explaining why it's been jumping out at me and seeming just a little weak as a motivational theme as well sometimes.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:47 am

Asmodeus Jones wrote:
That definitely isn't a model I would be personally accustomed to by experience, perhaps explaining why it's been jumping out at me and seeming just a little weak as a motivational theme as well sometimes.

Me neither, my dad read comics as a kid, and is not macho at all. Of course I'm younger than Johns and Hickman.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:13 am

Punchy wrote:
Me neither, my dad read comics as a kid, and is not macho at all. Of course I'm younger than Johns and Hickman.

Yep. I moved back near my family a few years ago for the first time in decades, I could write a book on that. One thing I realized though is that our communication troubles in our earlier history weren't all my fault like I had imagined they must have been. The more I dug into my family's history and recent past before my adoption, the more I came to understand how the pain and trauma from those days that pre-date me entirely affected my life as a kid and much of my early adult life as well.

I'd say that's where the healing began, but... :lol:

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:47 am

Asmodeus Jones wrote:
Yep. I moved back near my family a few years ago for the first time in decades, I could write a book on that. One thing I realized though is that our communication troubles in our earlier history weren't all my fault like I had imagined they must have been. The more I dug into my family's history and recent past before my adoption, the more I came to understand how the pain and trauma from those days that pre-date me entirely affected my life as a kid and much of my early adult life as well.

I'd say that's where the healing began, but... :lol:

I never went through that guilt fortunately. I guess if you come from a bad family, it's good to come from one that is over-the-top messed up. In such cases, it's stunningly clear who has the psychological issues and who is an innocent and unfortunate victim.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:10 pm

Eli Katz wrote:I never went through that guilt fortunately. I guess if you come from a bad family, it's good to come from one that is over-the-top messed up. In such cases, it's stunningly clear who has the psychological issues and who is an innocent and unfortunate victim.

Yeah. Plus my family is ultra-religious, and they seem to identify more with "sinners" than their collateral damage. My folks'll watch the same re-runs of Law & Order and SVU over and over and somehow it's tied into that, and my old man does all this prison ministry--when he tells me about some guy in there they just sound like scumbags who want a cookie and a hug to me.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:30 pm

I would read comics and my father would scream at me: Get those filthy books out of your left hand!

He never understood me. :cry:

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:06 pm

Starlord wrote:I would read comics and my father would scream at me: Get those filthy books out of your left hand!

Guess you loved Dick too much. :P

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:07 pm

Starlord wrote:I would read comics and my father would scream at me: Get those filthy books out of your left hand!

What did you have in your right ha--oh, right.

/easyjoke'd
The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Title: Harbinger of the Ponypocalyse
Formerly: Lord Solaris, Discord

Postby SilverPhoenix » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:10 pm

Just gave this book the first read and well...It's definitely not what I expected. Of course, I'll be giving this a 2nd and 3rd read, but if I don't catch something that I missed, my review is going to surprise the crap out of some people.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:24 am

SilverPhoenix wrote:Just gave this book the first read and well...It's definitely not what I expected. Of course, I'll be giving this a 2nd and 3rd read, but if I don't catch something that I missed, my review is going to surprise the crap out of some people.

Surprised how?

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:40 am

The Red Wing 1

This seems like a movie-ready concept now. I don't get the complaints that this was hard to follow, at all. I liked the concept. Wars being fought in time, spaceships flying with dinosaurs, that's cool stuff, combined with the human element of the missing father. The execution did not blow me away however. I put this mostly on the design elements. I think the future and time traveling ships should be depicted a lot cooler and futureistic The style is Quitely-lite, and I love Quitely, but I'd much prefer the original thing. Not the worst comic I read in my shipment, but not the best either. I think I'll check out the trade

Score 6

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand