Advertisement

Review Group Week #284: Daredevil #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Review Group Week #284: Daredevil #1

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:59 pm

]

Gawds dammit, BlueStreak! I'd much rather be reading A Dance with Dragons than starting the thread for you. Slack. Errrrrr.

Daredevil #1
as selected by Punchy

Written by MARK WAID
Penciled by PAOLO MANUEL RIVERA AND MARCOS MARTIN

THIS SUMMER, THE DEVIL IS REBORN. RENEWED. RESSURECTED.
With new enemies, new friends...and that same old "grinnin' in the face of hell" attitude, The Man Without Fear is back in a double-sized first issue and leading with his face! Mark Waid (AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, Irredeemable, RUSE) joins neo-legendary artists Paolo Rivera and Marcos Martin for a new spin on Daredevil that will leave you gasping for air. Having turned his world upside over the past several years, Matt Murdock realizes that justice may not be blind to his past and villains may not be the only ones looking for answers. Bring it on. If Matt Murdock could see what he was doing...he'd be terrified.
40 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

BlueStreak has next week's pick, I suppose I'll have to do that for him too.

If you would like to join the group, it's easy. Just post a review and I'll add you to the member's list. As long as you stay active, eventually it will be your turn to make a pick.

With $4 comics becoming the norm, the economy being what it is and the growing popularity of mail order services the Review Group recognizes that it's becoming harder and harder to commit to participating each and every week. As long as you can post one review per calendar month you will stay in the member's list. It doesn't matter if you post your review the week of it's release or if you post it later. There is no such thing as a "late" review.

The only request I make is that if you don't plan on posting a review or if you're going to be posting late is that you drop a note in the thread so that I can keep track of who is active and who isn't. The Spreadsheet of Doom is thorough, but it can't read your mind.

Comics are to be scored on a scale from 1-10. 1 being suck, 10 being a damn good comic. Beyond that, there's no right or wrong.

If it's your week, you must announce your selection by 5pm EST the day Diamond releases it's shipping list. If you do not announce your pick at that time, I will add a poll to the thread that will remain open until 12pm EST so that the group can make the selection for that week. (If you're seriously MIA, I'll probably put the poll up sooner) To ensure that you know it's your week, I will PM you when Midtown's list goes live on Thursdays. Also you'd better keep in mind the Amber Atoms rule, if your pick isn't reviewed by 2 or more people you will be exiled from the Group for 1 year. Our definition of a single issue comic is limited to comics listed at $3.99 or lower, anything above that is off limits. Also, to prevent utter filth being chosen deliberately, the Weird Worlds Rule has also gone into affect. Any book scoring a new all-time low (2.12 as of today) will not count as a miss if people wisely choose not to purchase it. Any poor soul who did review the book will earn a free pass on a book of their choice.

Punchy (this week)
BlueStreak
guitarsmashley
starlord
John Snow
thewhinyman
fieldy snuts
Daringd
Amoebas
SilverPhoenix
Eli Katz
Twig
AMS
Comic_Doctor
Zero
Kerny
Royal Nonesuch
Victorian Squid
False Prophet
Stephen Day
GLX

BLUE indicates explanation given for not posting a review.
RED indicate that no review or explanation has been posted in two weeks.
RED and BOLD will be deleted at the end of the week unless a review or explanation is posted.

Eventually, I (or amlah) will putting together all of our reviews and we will have our very own article on the front page of The Outhouse! If you would like for your review to be included, please try to have it posted by the end of day on Monday.

Advertisement

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Re: Review Group Week #284: Daredevil #1

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:01 pm

Sorry guys, lost track of the day. Will update SoD either this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:03 pm

My OP would have been better!

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand

Gawds dammit, BlueStreak! I'd much rather be reading A Dance with Dragons than starting the thread for you. Slack. Errrrrr.

Daredevil #1
as selected by Punchy

Written by MARK WAID
Penciled by PAOLO MANUEL RIVERA AND MARCOS MARTIN

THIS SUMMER, THE DEVIL IS REBORN. RENEWED. RESSURECTED.
With new enemies, new friends...and that same old "grinnin' in the face of hell" attitude, The Man Without Fear is back in a double-sized first issue and leading with his face! Mark Waid (AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, Irredeemable, RUSE) joins neo-legendary artists Paolo Rivera and Marcos Martin for a new spin on Daredevil that will leave you gasping for air. Having turned his world upside over the past several years, Matt Murdock realizes that justice may not be blind to his past and villains may not be the only ones looking for answers. Bring it on. If Matt Murdock could see what he was doing...he'd be terrified.
40 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

BlueStreak has next week's pick, I suppose I'll have to do that for him too.

If you would like to join the group, it's easy. Just post a review and I'll add you to the member's list. As long as you stay active, eventually it will be your turn to make a pick.

With $4 comics becoming the norm, the economy being what it is and the growing popularity of mail order services the Review Group recognizes that it's becoming harder and harder to commit to participating each and every week. As long as you can post one review per calendar month you will stay in the member's list. It doesn't matter if you post your review the week of it's release or if you post it later. There is no such thing as a "late" review.

The only request I make is that if you don't plan on posting a review or if you're going to be posting late is that you drop a note in the thread so that I can keep track of who is active and who isn't. The Spreadsheet of Doom is thorough, but it can't read your mind.

Comics are to be scored on a scale from 1-10. 1 being suck, 10 being a damn good comic. Beyond that, there's no right or wrong.

If it's your week, you must announce your selection by 5pm EST the day Diamond releases it's shipping list. If you do not announce your pick at that time, I will add a poll to the thread that will remain open until 12pm EST so that the group can make the selection for that week. (If you're seriously MIA, I'll probably put the poll up sooner) To ensure that you know it's your week, I will PM you when Midtown's list goes live on Thursdays. Also you'd better keep in mind the Amber Atoms rule, if your pick isn't reviewed by 2 or more people you will be exiled from the Group for 1 year. Our definition of a single issue comic is limited to comics listed at $3.99 or lower, anything above that is off limits. Also, to prevent utter filth being chosen deliberately, the Weird Worlds Rule has also gone into affect. Any book scoring a new all-time low (2.12 as of today) will not count as a miss if people wisely choose not to purchase it. Any poor soul who did review the book will earn a free pass on a book of their choice.

Punchy (this week)
BlueStreak
guitarsmashley
starlord
John Snow
thewhinyman
fieldy snuts
Daringd
Amoebas
SilverPhoenix
Eli Katz
Twig
AMS
Mammon, Fool Breaker
Comic_Doctor
Zero
Kerny
Royal Nonesuch
Victorian Squid
False Prophet
Stephen Day
GLX

BLUE indicates explanation given for not posting a review.
RED indicate that no review or explanation has been posted in two weeks.
RED and BOLD will be deleted at the end of the week unless a review or explanation is posted.

Eventually, I (or amlah) will putting together all of our reviews and we will have our very own article on the front page of The Outhouse! If you would like for your review to be included, please try to have it posted by the end of day on Monday.

Seriously, it's not that hard to find a decent version of the cover. The OH posts the previews for goodness sake! :P

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:05 pm

I just used yours. :P

Sorry, that was the first cover on the google search and I need to be quick as we have guests from a federal agency doing our annual review around me.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:20 pm

I'll be skipping this week. I have a good feeling that I'll dig this and, to be frank, I'm trying to rein in my pull list. Besides, even though I'm not buying anything this week, I actually think that an off week might be good for me. Comics make up a huge portion of my purchases and it might be best if I didn't get anything. I have plenty trades to catch up, so it's not like I'm not going to read anything.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 60 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:11 pm

Daredevil #1

Daredevil has been 'grim & gritty' my whole life. Since 1979, when the character came under the pen of Frank Miller, Matt Murdock has been on a downward spiral of suffering, misery and ninjas. It's for this reason that he's one of the only Marvel characters whose book I'd read regardless of the creators. I love the faux-noir take on the superhero genre Daredevil brings, I love the cast of low-lifes, dames, thugs and assassins that usually populate Hell's Kitchen and I love the moody art and muted colours that is used to portray it. Needless to say then: Mark Waid's Daredevil #1 is not a comic I ever wanted to read.

By all accounts the character is returning to his roots and becoming a grinning, swashbuckling, happy-go-lucky superhero again. Well after over 30 years moving on from this I can't help but think this isn't what the character needed. Daredevil was unlike anyone else when Miller stopped him being a second-rate Spider-Man and while this is far from being a bad comic, it's not very far at all from being a Spider-Man comic. Luckily it's anything but second rate. Mark Waid is a fantastic writer who frequently raises the bar in whatever he writes, being by far the best and most consistent writer Spidey had during Brand New Day and the writer of definitive runs on Captain America and the Fantastic Four and his Daredevil will no doubt be more of the same well-written superheroics. His Foggy is written well and his courtroom scenes pop nicely but I feel like his handle on Matt himself is around 30 years out of date.

Paulo Rivera is given a lot to do, and he comfortably manages it all with his handling of DD's radar senses probably a highlight of the book. The Spot fight could have been confusing and hard-to-follow under a lesser artist but Rivera's storytelling is clean and clear and handles it all very well. That he holds his own when the (arguably pointless) backup by Marcos Martin looks as good as it does is probably praise enough.

Overall it's a well made comic, and one I enjoyed reading. It's a throwback to a long time ago and a well made one, but I can't help but feel like the change in direction has removed a lot of what makes the character stand out and whether or not being well-made will be enough to hold my interest for more than a few months.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 60 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:33 pm

That's 3 weeks in a row, get my name out of the red!

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:12 pm

Zero wrote:That's 3 weeks in a row, get my name out of the red!

When I update the SoD tomorrow, I'll do it!

(Or I'll do it right now).

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 379 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:35 pm

BlueStreak wrote:
When I update the SoD tomorrow, I'll do it!

(Or I'll do it right now).

I reviewd Jonah Hex a week ago. That should clear me up too.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 41 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:05 pm

I'm not in the RG, but since I trade wait just about everything, I figured I'd chime in on this since I actually bought this today just to see how it is, being a massive DD fan..

Fucking amazing.

And I say this as someone who did NOT want a return of the swashbuckling stuff.. as someone who was a fan of the grim and gritty runs of Miller, Bendis, and Bru.

But I couldn't help but love this issue. Waid really seems to get the character - even if it is an aspect of him that hasn't been seen in a long time. The same can be said of the supporting cast as well, and I like the introduction of this assistant DA chick, who will no doubt become a love interest in the run.

I have mixed feelings about the status quo, with Matt choosing to just ignore everything he's done during Diggle's run, and basically not confronting his recent past.. seems like there's a lot of story potential there, some of which may be tapped as soon as next issue with Cap.. but it just seems rather silly. Like sticking his head in the sand or closing his eyes to the problems at hand. It's only been a few months since all that Shadowland stuff, right?

The only complaint I had overall with the issue was Matt kissing the bride at the mob wedding. I felt like it was pretty stupid, and only there to drive home the point that this is the new and improved, swashbuckling DD by Waid. It was unnecessary, and felt jarringly out of place.

The art, however, was the real winner of this book. Paulo Rivera - my god.. I love how they (I dunno who is responsible for it's creation) choose to show Matt's senses visually.. that's brilliant. I can't believe it hasn't been thought of before.

I have to wonder if I would've enjoyed this issue so much if not for such amazing art from Rivera and Martin.. and that's a worry I have when they eventually leave the book, because I never really saw either of those as longterm options on any book. Even with the alternating schedule. But that'll be a problem for later. For now, I can't wait for the first trade of this to come out.

8/10

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 210 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:50 pm

why am i bold again? i reviewed the red wing =/

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:55 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:why am i bold again? i reviewed the red wing =/

Haven't updated SoD yet so I just used last week's. Be assured that everything will get sorted out tomorrow.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:04 pm

I haven't read a Daredevil book this light-hearted in.....well over a decade. And from Bendis through to Brubaker and then through to Diggle it kept getting darker and darker leaving me wondering how low can Matt Murdock keep falling.

Waid has written a really fun book where Matt Murdock isn't just a guy with a personal life of hell but a seemingly happy lawyer/swashbuckling vigilante who has a new lease on life. Kind of jarring given how everyone he's touched throughout the other arcs has basically withered away while he's left moping about it. Makes me question if Waid's setting us up for a look into his sanity. There's definitely something off by how he went from depressed to a glass-half-full kind of guy, especially after kissing the bride at the mob wedding.

And as stated earlier, there's legal drama focus once again which was pretty lacking save for that Brubaker/Rucka story about 2 years back. And when it comes to Murdock's day-to-day life outside of his new happy-go-lucky persona we get those litte scenes of how he lives day to day life with a radar sense that Paolo Riviera does a great job of bringing to life on top of the already pretty this book is graced with.

In summary, it was a damn good book, a lot better than I expected when I heard this'd be a return to the swashbuckling side of Daredevil which I never cared for. Last page looks like it may also address the Shadowland stuff which seems to have been forgotten so far. Hope so because it feels like there's a large chunk of story missing to bridge Diggle's last run with Waid's.

Story: 8.0
Art: 10.0
Overall: 9.0

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:05 pm

BlueStreak wrote:
Haven't updated SoD yet so I just used last week's. Be assured that everything will get sorted out tomorrow.

oh that's what SoD stands for.

Porcelain38
dINGO

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Staff Writer.

Postby Porcelain38 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:14 pm

I agree with everyone in that I loved the dark and gritty stuff, and this was a pleasant surprise.

It just feels good to be picking up a Daredevil book again.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand