Tuesday, May 3, 2016 • Morning Edition • "We're the god damn Outhousers."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!


Review Group Week #284: Daredevil #1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:19 am

Bendis's run is the best since Miller's. Without a doubt.

As for which one is superior, it's kinda hard to give a definitive answer that since Miller reinvented the character into one of Marvel's top books and introduced most of the elements that became synonymous with those recent run after it was struggling for ages. Born Again is probably the definitive Daredevil story

but for me personally Bendis's entire run with its structure, Maleev's art and huge tone shift while preserving so many of Miller's elements (Underboss, Out, Lowlife, Hardcore, King of Hells Kitchen) there's no doubt in my mind that Bendis's Daredevil is the best run of the character. Ever.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:21 am

fieldy snuts wrote:Bendis's run is the best since Miller's. Without a doubt.

As for which one is superior, it's kinda hard to give a definitive answer that since Miller reinvented the character into one of Marvel's top books and introduced most of the elements that became synonymous with those recent run after it was struggling for ages. Born Again is probably the definitive Daredevil story

but for me personally Bendis's entire run with its structure, Maleev's art and huge tone shift while preserving so many of Miller's elements (Underboss, Out, Lowlife, Hardcore, King of Hells Kitchen) there's no doubt in my mind that Bendis's Daredevil is the best run of the character. Ever.


I kind of count Born Again separately from Miller's main run, and that may actually be better than Bendis. So it goes:

Born Again
Bendis
Miller's main run
Brubaker
Man Without Fear
User avatar

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:21 am

Punchy wrote:Why would you want to wipe away the best 14 years of Daredevil comics?


1) Because DD's "best" happened more than 14 years ago and involved names like: Miller, Colan, Kesel, Everett, Wood, Lee, McKenzie, Janson, Nocenti, Cord, DeMatteis, etc.

2) Because Waid himself in this issue calls those 'years' "miserable" and "uncharacteristic".

3) Because I can :P
User avatar

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:24 am

Punchy wrote:
I kind of count Born Again separately from Miller's main run, and that may actually be better than Bendis. So it goes:

Born Again
Bendis
Miller's main run
Brubaker
Man Without Fear


Spot on.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:25 am

Amoebas wrote:
1) Because DD's "best" happened more than 14 years ago and involved names like: Miller, Colan, Kesel, Everett, Wood, Lee, McKenzie, Janson, Nocenti, Cord, DeMatteis, etc.

2) Because Waid himself in this issue calls those 'years' "miserable" and "uncharacteristic".

3) Because I can :P


1) No they didn't

2) Waid is not the voice of gospel when it comes to Daredevil, and Matt seems to have had some kind of psychotic break now, I'm sure Waid is showing that Matt's attempts to sweep the last few years under the rug is actually more uncharacteristic and crazy.

3) No you can't.
User avatar

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:30 am

Amoebas wrote:
1) Because DD's "best" happened more than 14 years ago and involved names like: Miller, Colan, Kesel, Everett, Wood, Lee, McKenzie, Janson, Nocenti, Cord, DeMatteis, etc.


Most of those guys are artists. Everett barely did any writing, ditto with Wood who only did a few in the 60's.

DeMatteis? 2 words: Daredevil armor.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:35 am

Stan Lee's Daredevil was appalling. A low point being Matt pretending he has an identical twin brother who shows up out of nowhere and is a "cool cat".
User avatar

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:37 am

fieldy snuts wrote:Bendis's run is the best since Miller's. Without a doubt.

As for which one is superior, it's kinda hard to give a definitive answer that since Miller reinvented the character into one of Marvel's top books and introduced most of the elements that became synonymous with those recent run after it was struggling for ages. Born Again is probably the definitive Daredevil story

but for me personally Bendis's entire run with its structure, Maleev's art and huge tone shift while preserving so many of Miller's elements (Underboss, Out, Lowlife, Hardcore, King of Hells Kitchen) there's no doubt in my mind that Bendis's Daredevil is the best run of the character. Ever.

and there's no doubt in my mind that you are wrong.


it goes like this:

Miller (all together, the main run, MWOF, BA, all of it)
Nocenti
Kesel
Smith
Bru
Hine's Redemption mini
Bendis (and i hate to even rank it that high, b/c the art is so goddamn awful it makes the run frankly un-rereadable for me; but i do give Bendis some credit for an interesting direction, even if it's one i don't particularly like, and even though i HATE the ridiculous padding of the early issues and the usual Bendisian stylistic tics in dialogue throughout)
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:37 am

My Daredevil reading is spotty, so I have no opinion on who was best or not. I know I read Miller's run when it came out but I really don't remember it well.
User avatar

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:38 am

fieldy snuts wrote:DeMatteis? 2 words: Daredevil armor.

that was Chichester. JMD got him back OUT of the armor.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:39 am

I read Noceti's run. I really don't get it. Chap as much as you're right on some things, you're liking of meandering boring runs from the past absolutely baffles me.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:39 am

Always fieldy snuts wrote:Stan Lee's Daredevil was appalling. A low point being Matt pretending he has an identical twin brother who shows up out of nowhere and is a "cool cat".


Mike Murdock is hilarious.
User avatar

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:39 am

Always fieldy snuts wrote:Stan Lee's Daredevil was appalling. A low point being Matt pretending he has an identical twin brother who shows up out of nowhere and is a "cool cat".

Stan's DD is very, very uneven. the Mike Murdock stuff is indeed awful. but for every one of those, there's a DD #7 (intro red costume, DD vs. Namor) that was awesome.
User avatar

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:44 am

Always fieldy snuts wrote:I read Noceti's run. I really don't get it. Chap as much as you're right on some things, you're liking of meandering boring runs from the past absolutely baffles me.

:smt011 :smt011

you read the whole run? all the Typhoid stuff early and all the Mephisto/Blackheart/Inhumans stuff late is freaking great. "A Beer With the Devil" is one of my favorite single DD issues.
User avatar

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:47 am

also, Nocenti's run is obviously too deep and intellectual for Twigglet. obviously needed more 5 page " -- the hell?" conversations about nothing to really take the edge off that "boredom"...

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aclezotte, Google [Bot], Kravis, Yahoo [Bot] and 86 guests