Advertisement

Review Group Week #284: Daredevil #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 409 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: Review Group Week #284: Daredevil #1

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:29 pm

John Snow wrote:To add to my long list of Review Group accomplishments, I am now the first member to have picked a book that went on to win Best Single Issue at the Eisners with Hellboy: Double Feature of Evil. I hope those of you that scored it under a 10 feel foolish now, especially Stephen Day who gave it a 6.

Meh, I've read an uber amount of cthulhu like stuff and as a result I tend to compare attempts to do Lovecraftian storytelling to other such attempts. Compared to other comic books, yes it was very good, but compared to other works that attempted what Mignola was attempting it wasn't nearly as good as it could have been.

I stand by my rating.
Last edited by Stephen Day on Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:41 pm

Amoebas, Matt Murdock said he was behaving uncharacteristically NOW, not during the Bendis and Brubaker runs.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 409 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:42 pm

It was interesting to see Matt Murdock try to fit back into his old life and to deal with the fact that his secret ID is nowhere near as secret as he would want it to be. the courtroom scene and rooftop scene with Kirsten McDuffie were both fun to read because of this. I laughed out loud when Ms. McDuffie flicked her earring at Matt, "Ow, did you just throw something at me!" :lol:

The fight scene with the Spot was fun and I love the way that Daredevil's radar sense was depicted this issue.

Overall, this was a good issue that I'll give a 7 out of 10.

Thank you Troy for the sig

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:05 pm

So, I read this book twice and it's not bad, it's just bland. I really wanted to like this but as happens to me a lot in the review group I just ended up not caring, and this is from someone who counted daredevil as his favorite book once upon a time before david mack ruined bendis' run. Since that one issue of David Mack's Daredevil #51 I have yet to read a daredevil issue that's grabbed me. I would have rather having the whole issue by Marcos Martin and that might have bumped the score for me but overall like I said this issue left me feeling bland and couldn't hold my interest.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Doc Spider

Postby Doc Jon » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:08 pm

Don't we get preview issues from certain companies?

You guys should review those sometimes.

HJJOUNB SAWLWEN HATES MEO!!!! -Royal

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:24 pm

Jon Salwen wrote:Don't we get preview issues from certain companies?

You guys should review those sometimes.

We don't like to give out the preview copies to too many people.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 31 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Review Group Week #284: Daredevil #1

Postby BlueStreak » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:05 pm

Amazing Spider-Man 666 is the pick for next week.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:03 pm

why do you hate us?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:08 pm

Jonathan Carroll wrote:Amazing Spider-Man 666 is the pick for next week.

The preview shows Spidey stopping a robbery, having a mid-air monologue about his recent life, and JJJ having a shit-fit about him being a menace--I think we can safely say this is a Spider-Man issue like no other!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:58 am

Daredevil #1 - 'Man w/o Fear' and 'A Bonus Tale' - Waid, Rivera, Martin & Rodriguez

Story - Daredevil fans can, on the whole, be divided into two distinct groups. The first is the group that worships at the altar of Frank Miller, and loves the character for the darkness, for the noir, and for just how fucked-up Matt Murdock's life is. They love Bendis and Brubaker and what to see Daredevil as the darkest superhero comic on the market. The second group are fans of the Daredevil we had before Miller took over and revolutionised the character, they like a swashbuckling, fun-loving Daredevil, who is literally without fear. These two sides are perpetually at War, for the past 10 years, the dark side has been winning, but now it looks like the forces of swashbuckle are fighting back.

I myself have firmly succumbed to the dark side, so when it was announced that Mark Waid was relaunching Daredevil, and retooling the character to a more light-hearted, old-school style, I was pretty pissed. I felt that Waid was just coming in and wiping away all the development and depth that Bendis and Brubaker (and to a lesser extent Andy Diggle) had given to Matt Murdock. I felt that Daredevil had gone too far towards darkness, and to try and step back was unrealistic and insulting to the fanbase.

Thankfully, it looks like Mark Waid recognised all my complaints, and has crafted a Daredevil that for the first time covers both bases. Could the never-ending war between the forces of light and dark finally be over? Maybe.

Yes, this book is much lighter than the Daredevil we've been used to for the last decade. Matt is fighting crime with a smile on his face, with a reckless abandon. He may be back in the law courts, trying to get his secret identity back. But Waid recognises this is pretty ridiculous. Matt can deny he's Daredevil until he's blue in the face, but everybody still knows it's true. And this attempt to go back to the old days? There's a hint here that Matt may have actually snapped and gone totally mad. This is a coping mechanism, he can't deal with all the people who have died, with his wife who is catatonic, with the fact that he fought his friends, so he's just snapped back. Hell, the other superheroes don't trust him at all, as the last page indicates, Captain America has some problems. And so does Foggy Nelson. In this issue's back-up story, Foggy expresses real doubts about Matt's mental state. Waid knows it's pretty ridiculous to try and put this genie back in the bottle, but does it anyway, and somehow, the balancing act works.

Overall, I really enjoyed this issue, despite my expectations. Yes it was lighter than I like my Daredevil to be, but you can't have black coffee all the time. The fight between DD and the Spot was a lot of fun, and did a great job at setting up what Waid's vision for Matt is. Waid also sets up an interesting mystery with Matt and Foggy's new court case. My one complaint with Bendis and Brubaker's otherwise superlative runs that there wasn't enough hot legal action, so it's good that Waid is getting us back to that. But as I said, all this lightness and return to the old days is undercut with a dark side. In his attempts to be lighter than ever, Matt Murdock may have actually become even darker. This run could finally be a Daredevil for everyone.

Art - The real star of this comic is the artwork, it's just bloody amazing. With Maleev and Lark, Daredevil has had some of the most consistent artists in the industry, and Paolo Rivera is right up there with them. His art is perfectly suited for the tone Waid establishes for the book, and he does some really interesting layouts. I love the two panels on page 2 which place Matt's eyes in the gutters. I also loved the way Rivera illustrated Daredevil's radar sense. And with a back-up story from Marcos Martin, this issue is a real feast for the eyes. Martin's art isn't as experimental as it was in his last few issues of Amazing Spider-Man, but it's still brilliant. The double-page spread of Matt and Foggy walking across the block was beautiful, and had another example of innovative renditions of Matt's super-senses. I think my problems with Waid's take on DD would be a lot bigger if these two fantastic artists weren't involved, they are two of the best in the industry.

Best Line - 'I'm not sure...'

7.5/10

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:13 am

Two writers can both "get" a character and still write him or her two entirely different ways. People are complex and manifest different identities to a large extent at different points in their lives, and so should comic book protagonists.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:16 am

Asmodeus Jones wrote:Two writers can both "get" a character and still write him or her two entirely different ways. People are complex and manifest different identities to a large extent at different points in their lives, and so should comic book protagonists.

Yeah, but beyond a certain point, it's hard to go back to how you were before. If you've murdered someone, it's hard to move beyond that. Certain experiences are too big to recover from.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:21 am

Except people recover from demonic possession in the marvel universe all the time, and get free passes for it. Wasn't that the crux of the Shadowland deal?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:24 am

Asmodeus Jones wrote:Except people recover from demonic possession in the marvel universe all the time, and get free passes for it. Wasn't that the crux of the Shadowland deal?

Except DD went through a lot of stuff before he was possessed by 'The Beast'. What happened to Milla (his wife!) should haunt him and change him. You can't just move on from a Wife who went crazy because of your actions.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:26 am

I haven't read the entire run, so she never felt like a real character to me.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand