Advertisement

Review Group Week #284: Daredevil #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Re: Review Group Week #284: Daredevil #1

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:08 am

If you only read one Punchy thread a week, make it this one!

http://www.theouthousers.com/forum/the-news-stand/this-week-punchy-t68420.html

Advertisement

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 68 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:11 am

Punchy wrote:If you only read one Punchy thread a week, make it this one!

http://www.theouthousers.com/forum/the-news-stand/this-week-punchy-t68420.html

The one full of spoilers for comics I haven't read? Admittedly, most of them I probably won't read but that's not the point.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:14 am

Zero wrote:
The one full of spoilers for comics I haven't read? Admittedly, most of them I probably won't read but that's not the point.

There's not too many spoilers.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:16 am

Punchy wrote:
There's not too many spoilers.

One spoiler is enough. Plus you and I have wildly different taste in comics a lot of the time.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:17 am

Zero wrote:
One spoiler is enough. Plus you and I have wildly different taste in comics a lot of the time.

It doesn't mean you can't read it and call me an ejit!

Zero
Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:25 am

Punchy wrote:
It doesn't mean you can't read it and call me an ejit!

Eh. I'm trying not to argue so much online. This is about as feisty as I feel I can get.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:44 am

Punchy wrote:
Except DD went through a lot of stuff before he was possessed by 'The Beast'. What happened to Milla (his wife!) should haunt him and change him. You can't just move on from a Wife who went crazy because of your actions.

meh, you talk about Waid establihing he may have gone through a psychotic break now, but marrying Milla in the first place was the result of a psychotic break. Bendis pretty clearly set that out.

and why can't he just move on? there's precedent!! Matt moved on pretty damn quick after Heather Glenn killed herself because being with Matt drove her nuts...at least Milla's still sucking in air and blowing it back out again.

as far as Milla goes, good riddance to bad rubbish, IMMO. if Waid never mentions her, it'll be too soon.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:49 am

I guess I was wrong when I said this comic could be the end of the Daredevil fan wars.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:04 am

Punchy wrote:I guess I was wrong when I said this comic could be the end of the Daredevil fan wars.

well, i disagree with your charcterization of it as a "fan war", personally, because i don't fit into either of the 2 camps you ascribe to the war. i myself worship at the altar of Miller's DD. it is by miles and miles the best work on the character ever, and one of IMMO the top 10 superhero comic runs of all time (when looked at all together: the initial run, BA, and MWOF). i love DD in dark stories, mixing himself with gritty, noir elements like Turk, Josie's Bar, gang wars, etc. yet i also like my DD more swashbuckley, b/c that's who Matt is as a person.

b/c here's the thing that the recent decade or so's worth of writers (Bendis, Bru, Diggle) have forgotten: even Frank knew when enough was enough. yeah, he beat on DD and beat on him and beat on him, but in the end Matt overcame and found himself. he was "born again" as himself. Nocenti pulled a similar trick, laying defeat and disgrace and shame and bad decisions on him for 50-60 issues until Matt, because he is the HERO of the story, fought his way back up out of literal Hell to find himself again. and that waas just nowhere to be found in Bendis, et al's runs.

and yes, i'll buy the fact that events change a man. but here's where i think your true divide lies: most of us realize this is a serial medium. and most of us realize that in such a serial medium, while stories matter, characters matter more. and there's only so far and so much you can change a character until he's no longer recognizable to the fans that follow him. and once you do that, not every writer is going to be able to write stories of a high enough quality to keep those readers who read the book for Matt Murdock as opposed to those who read for BMB, or for Bru, or for "let's see how much shit Writer X can pile on DD this arc"

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 173 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:28 am

Write a shorter essay next time, Strict!

Bendis and Bru's runs were great.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:31 am

Leviticus Payne wrote:Write a shorter essay next time, Strict!

Bendis and Bru's runs were great.

eat it, Queenie! :P

i liked Bru's run a lot. Devil in Cell Block D, the arc he co-wrote with Rucka was great, and Return of the King were all great.

Bendis's run was crap.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:44 am

chap22 wrote:well, i disagree with your charcterization of it as a "fan war", personally, because i don't fit into either of the 2 camps you ascribe to the war. i myself worship at the altar of Miller's DD. it is by miles and miles the best work on the character ever, and one of IMMO the top 10 superhero comic runs of all time (when looked at all together: the initial run, BA, and MWOF). i love DD in dark stories, mixing himself with gritty, noir elements like Turk, Josie's Bar, gang wars, etc. yet i also like my DD more swashbuckley, b/c that's who Matt is as a person.

b/c here's the thing that the recent decade or so's worth of writers (Bendis, Bru, Diggle) have forgotten: even Frank knew when enough was enough. yeah, he beat on DD and beat on him and beat on him, but in the end Matt overcame and found himself. he was "born again" as himself. Nocenti pulled a similar trick, laying defeat and disgrace and shame and bad decisions on him for 50-60 issues until Matt, because he is the HERO of the story, fought his way back up out of literal Hell to find himself again. and that waas just nowhere to be found in Bendis, et al's runs.

and yes, i'll buy the fact that events change a man. but here's where i think your true divide lies: most of us realize this is a serial medium. and most of us realize that in such a serial medium, while stories matter, characters matter more. and there's only so far and so much you can change a character until he's no longer recognizable to the fans that follow him. and once you do that, not every writer is going to be able to write stories of a high enough quality to keep those readers who read the book for Matt Murdock as opposed to those who read for BMB, or for Bru, or for "let's see how much shit Writer X can pile on DD this arc"

I agree with everything, except the bolded line. In the "King of Hell's Kitchen" arc, Bendis has Matt realizing that he can't impose some weird street-level tyranny to end crime. Rather, he has to win the good old-fashioned superhero way. And ol' DD teams up with Spidey, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage to kick some bad-guy ass. It's a strong arc and a change in direction. And it shows Matt returning to the mainstream superhero ranks -- no more rogue tactics.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:49 am

Eli Katz wrote:
I agree with everything, except the bolded line. In the "King of Hell's Kitchen" arc, Bendis has Matt realizing that he can't impose some weird street-level tyranny to end crime. Rather, he has to win the good old-fashioned superhero way. And ol' DD teams up with Spidey, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage to kick some bad-guy ass. It's a strong arc and a change in direction. And it shows Matt returning to the mainstream superhero ranks -- no more rogue tactics.

and then goes right back to shit-piling' leading directly to freaking jail.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:57 am

chap22 wrote:and then goes right back to shit-piling' leading directly to freaking jail.

Well, I see that as he can't escape the consequences of his previous bad decisions.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:10 pm

Eli Katz wrote:Well, I see that as he can't escape the consequences of his previous bad decisions.

Exactly, Daredevil was a character who's actions had consequences when the tone was dark. A swashbuckling DD goes against those consequences unless it's the result of a mental breakdown.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand