Saturday, August 27, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "That smell was here before we went in."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Review Group Week #284: Daredevil #1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:08 am

If you only read one Punchy thread a week, make it this one!

http://www.theouthousers.com/forum/the-news-stand/this-week-punchy-t68420.html
User avatar

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:11 am

Punchy wrote:If you only read one Punchy thread a week, make it this one!

http://www.theouthousers.com/forum/the-news-stand/this-week-punchy-t68420.html


The one full of spoilers for comics I haven't read? Admittedly, most of them I probably won't read but that's not the point.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:14 am

Zero wrote:
The one full of spoilers for comics I haven't read? Admittedly, most of them I probably won't read but that's not the point.


There's not too many spoilers.
User avatar

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:16 am

Punchy wrote:
There's not too many spoilers.


One spoiler is enough. Plus you and I have wildly different taste in comics a lot of the time.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:17 am

Zero wrote:
One spoiler is enough. Plus you and I have wildly different taste in comics a lot of the time.


It doesn't mean you can't read it and call me an ejit!
User avatar

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:25 am

Punchy wrote:
It doesn't mean you can't read it and call me an ejit!


Eh. I'm trying not to argue so much online. This is about as feisty as I feel I can get.
User avatar

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:44 am

Punchy wrote:
Except DD went through a lot of stuff before he was possessed by 'The Beast'. What happened to Milla (his wife!) should haunt him and change him. You can't just move on from a Wife who went crazy because of your actions.

meh, you talk about Waid establihing he may have gone through a psychotic break now, but marrying Milla in the first place was the result of a psychotic break. Bendis pretty clearly set that out.

and why can't he just move on? there's precedent!! Matt moved on pretty damn quick after Heather Glenn killed herself because being with Matt drove her nuts...at least Milla's still sucking in air and blowing it back out again.

as far as Milla goes, good riddance to bad rubbish, IMMO. if Waid never mentions her, it'll be too soon.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:49 am

I guess I was wrong when I said this comic could be the end of the Daredevil fan wars.
User avatar

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:04 am

Punchy wrote:I guess I was wrong when I said this comic could be the end of the Daredevil fan wars.

well, i disagree with your charcterization of it as a "fan war", personally, because i don't fit into either of the 2 camps you ascribe to the war. i myself worship at the altar of Miller's DD. it is by miles and miles the best work on the character ever, and one of IMMO the top 10 superhero comic runs of all time (when looked at all together: the initial run, BA, and MWOF). i love DD in dark stories, mixing himself with gritty, noir elements like Turk, Josie's Bar, gang wars, etc. yet i also like my DD more swashbuckley, b/c that's who Matt is as a person.

b/c here's the thing that the recent decade or so's worth of writers (Bendis, Bru, Diggle) have forgotten: even Frank knew when enough was enough. yeah, he beat on DD and beat on him and beat on him, but in the end Matt overcame and found himself. he was "born again" as himself. Nocenti pulled a similar trick, laying defeat and disgrace and shame and bad decisions on him for 50-60 issues until Matt, because he is the HERO of the story, fought his way back up out of literal Hell to find himself again. and that waas just nowhere to be found in Bendis, et al's runs.

and yes, i'll buy the fact that events change a man. but here's where i think your true divide lies: most of us realize this is a serial medium. and most of us realize that in such a serial medium, while stories matter, characters matter more. and there's only so far and so much you can change a character until he's no longer recognizable to the fans that follow him. and once you do that, not every writer is going to be able to write stories of a high enough quality to keep those readers who read the book for Matt Murdock as opposed to those who read for BMB, or for Bru, or for "let's see how much shit Writer X can pile on DD this arc"
User avatar

Chris

Rain Partier

Postby Chris » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:28 am

Write a shorter essay next time, Strict!

Bendis and Bru's runs were great.
User avatar

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:31 am

Leviticus Payne wrote:Write a shorter essay next time, Strict!

Bendis and Bru's runs were great.

eat it, Queenie! :P

i liked Bru's run a lot. Devil in Cell Block D, the arc he co-wrote with Rucka was great, and Return of the King were all great.

Bendis's run was crap.
User avatar

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:44 am

chap22 wrote:well, i disagree with your charcterization of it as a "fan war", personally, because i don't fit into either of the 2 camps you ascribe to the war. i myself worship at the altar of Miller's DD. it is by miles and miles the best work on the character ever, and one of IMMO the top 10 superhero comic runs of all time (when looked at all together: the initial run, BA, and MWOF). i love DD in dark stories, mixing himself with gritty, noir elements like Turk, Josie's Bar, gang wars, etc. yet i also like my DD more swashbuckley, b/c that's who Matt is as a person.

b/c here's the thing that the recent decade or so's worth of writers (Bendis, Bru, Diggle) have forgotten: even Frank knew when enough was enough. yeah, he beat on DD and beat on him and beat on him, but in the end Matt overcame and found himself. he was "born again" as himself. Nocenti pulled a similar trick, laying defeat and disgrace and shame and bad decisions on him for 50-60 issues until Matt, because he is the HERO of the story, fought his way back up out of literal Hell to find himself again. and that waas just nowhere to be found in Bendis, et al's runs.

and yes, i'll buy the fact that events change a man. but here's where i think your true divide lies: most of us realize this is a serial medium. and most of us realize that in such a serial medium, while stories matter, characters matter more. and there's only so far and so much you can change a character until he's no longer recognizable to the fans that follow him. and once you do that, not every writer is going to be able to write stories of a high enough quality to keep those readers who read the book for Matt Murdock as opposed to those who read for BMB, or for Bru, or for "let's see how much shit Writer X can pile on DD this arc"


I agree with everything, except the bolded line. In the "King of Hell's Kitchen" arc, Bendis has Matt realizing that he can't impose some weird street-level tyranny to end crime. Rather, he has to win the good old-fashioned superhero way. And ol' DD teams up with Spidey, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage to kick some bad-guy ass. It's a strong arc and a change in direction. And it shows Matt returning to the mainstream superhero ranks -- no more rogue tactics.
User avatar

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:49 am

Eli Katz wrote:
I agree with everything, except the bolded line. In the "King of Hell's Kitchen" arc, Bendis has Matt realizing that he can't impose some weird street-level tyranny to end crime. Rather, he has to win the good old-fashioned superhero way. And ol' DD teams up with Spidey, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage to kick some bad-guy ass. It's a strong arc and a change in direction. And it shows Matt returning to the mainstream superhero ranks -- no more rogue tactics.

and then goes right back to shit-piling' leading directly to freaking jail.
User avatar

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:57 am

chap22 wrote:and then goes right back to shit-piling' leading directly to freaking jail.

Well, I see that as he can't escape the consequences of his previous bad decisions.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:10 pm

Eli Katz wrote:Well, I see that as he can't escape the consequences of his previous bad decisions.


Exactly, Daredevil was a character who's actions had consequences when the tone was dark. A swashbuckling DD goes against those consequences unless it's the result of a mental breakdown.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cavemold, Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot], Zechs and 55 guests