Advertisement

Secret Avengers #15 (Dead means Dead Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Secret Avengers #15 (Dead means Dead Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:17 pm

A weird issue, probably the best of the four Spencer has written, but strange nonetheless. It was interesting to see what a TMZ-like site would be like in a world with superheroes, and the meta-commentary about death having no impact anymore was fun. But it was all a bit preachy and speechy, and Black Widow came across as kind of a bitch. I don’t know why Spencer thought to use Secret Avengers to make speeches and statements, it’s an odd choice, one that worked here more than it did in the terrible #13, but still odd. It’s good that he felt the freedom to write stories like this though, he didn’t do what I expected from this title, and the unexpected should always be welcomed.

Advertisement

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Secret Avengers #15 (Dead means Dead Spoilers)

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:05 pm

I do not think that I've been shy about my overall unimpressed-ness with most of Nick Spencer's output. I think he's a lot of flash and bang and very, very little substance. I also think he's something of a flavor of the month and that much like we have seen with Matt Fraction, all of the acclaim will bottom out when he slips into mediocrity sooner rather than later.

But all that being said, I did think that this issue was a nice one, especially since Fraction couldn't be bothered to spend more than a couple of frames with people dealing with the loss of Bucky in the pages of Fear Itself. I was also intrigued by Black Widow's take on superheroes returning from the grave: it was, at the very least, different.

Overall, this hasn't won me over as a Spencer fan, but I can at least give the devil his due.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 324 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:24 pm

what i don't get is how does this issue and the Black Widow One Shot work timeline wise. In the one shot it clearly says that Cap sent her to Europe right after Bucky died, but this issue seems to be right after he died too.

Dragavon
Podcaster

Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Postby Dragavon » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:28 pm

I was actually very impressed with this issue. I almost wish that Spencer would stick around instead of Ellis taking over.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:13 am

I haven't been too impressed with this title pretty much from go, even with Brubaker it has been underachieving. Probably gonna drop it, bummer because the premise of an actual covert secret Avengers roster is a cool idea.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:18 am

48THRiLLS wrote:I haven't been too impressed with this title pretty much from go, even with Brubaker it has been underachieving. Probably gonna drop it, bummer because the premise of an actual covert secret Avengers roster is a cool idea.

I reckon you should at least try the first Ellis issue, if Warren Ellis can't make this team work, then it just can't be done.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:21 am

Punchy wrote:
I reckon you should at least try the first Ellis issue, if Warren Ellis can't make this team work, then it just can't be done.

Probably will... I am usually all talk when I say I am going to drop something, I am a sucker.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:24 am

48THRiLLS wrote:
Probably will... I am usually all talk when I say I am going to drop something, I am a sucker.

Hah, me too, I've been threatening to drop X-Factor for about 2 years.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 159 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:37 am

I'd have taken a punt on Ellis, but Jamie McKelvie is one of those artists I can't stand. Especially after seeing the preview.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:03 am

fieldy snuts wrote:I'd have taken a punt on Ellis, but Jamie McKelvie is one of those artists I can't stand. Especially after seeing the preview.

McKelvie is only doing the first issue.

And he's awesome, you suck! :P

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 159 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:47 am

Ah crap, Kev Walker's taking over after this.

Looks like I'll be picking this up after all.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 324 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:45 am

i don't think Kev Walker is doing more than one issue... i think its gonna be different artists on different issues

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:21 am

e_galston wrote:i don't think Kev Walker is doing more than one issue... i think its gonna be different artists on different issues

Yeah, it's a different artist every issue for (I think) 6 issues.

Think Global Frequency but with the Avengers.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 124 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:06 am

Anyone notice that all but Black Widow seemed to be characters from bones? Maybe it was just me. I liked the issue but I started laughing at the Dead is dead and "death should mean something" Panel. :-D
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 280 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:19 pm

Punchy wrote:A weird issue, probably the best of the four Spencer has written, but strange nonetheless. It was interesting to see what a TMZ-like site would be like in a world with superheroes, and the meta-commentary about death having no impact anymore was fun. But it was all a bit preachy and speechy, and Black Widow came across as kind of a bitch. I don’t know why Spencer thought to use Secret Avengers to make speeches and statements, it’s an odd choice, one that worked here more than it did in the terrible #13, but still odd. It’s good that he felt the freedom to write stories like this though, he didn’t do what I expected from this title, and the unexpected should always be welcomed.

This is the main reason why I liked this issue too. It's always cool to read a story that takes a different look at the MU than what I've seen before.

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand