Advertisement

Review Group Week #285: Amazing Spider-Man #666

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: Review Group Week #285: Amazing Spider-Man #666

Postby Punchy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:39 am

And is it really the comic's fault if certain fans can never get over OMD?

Advertisement

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 410 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:42 am

Punchy wrote:Where was the reference to OMD?

Everytime I read a slott written issue of amazing spider-man it always has MJ in it and they always make some joke about them being exes and it not working out. Like at the start of big time when Peter was homeless and he went to her house to stay and they both started laughing *wink wink nudge nudge*

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:45 am

Punchy wrote:And is it really the comic's fault if certain fans can never get over OMD?

OMD is best ignored by everyone. Slott doesn't seem to get that because he's always tossing major elements of that story intot he book for no reason and makes jokes about it.

Marvel did the right thing when they completely ignored the clone saga for 15 years, it was a terrible story that should be ignored.

Just like Wolverine fighting death everytime he dies or almost everything Fraction ever written on x-men (gillen did the right thing focusing on Whedon concepts)

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:49 am

Rockman wrote:
OMD is best ignored by everyone. Slott doesn't seem to get that because he's always tossing major elements of that story intot he book for no reason and makes jokes about it.

Marvel did the right thing when they completely ignored the clone saga for 15 years, it was a terrible story that should be ignored.

Just like Wolverine fighting death everytime he dies or almost everything Fraction ever written on x-men (gillen did the right thing focusing on Whedon concepts)

But they didn't mention OMD specifically, and Peter and MJ are exes, they have to mention it, it's not for no reason as you suggest, new readers might get confused about whether Peter is dating her or Carlie. It's not like they brought up Mephisto or whatever.

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 36 posts

Postby LobsterJ » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:52 am

Punchy wrote:
But they didn't mention OMD specifically, and Peter and MJ are exes, they have to mention it, it's not for no reason as you suggest, new readers might get confused about whether Peter is dating her or Carlie. It's not like they brought up Mephisto or whatever.

new readers? :smt017

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:53 am

LobsterJ wrote:
new readers? :smt017

They do exist, and Marvel are pimping this pretty hard, what with the twitter hashtags and things. New readers could also include people who already read Marvel but not Spider-Man.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:12 am

Punchy wrote:

your missing the point.

I hated OMD and the start of BND. I thought the whole deal with devil thing ruined the character.

I stopped reading for years and only started again when Romita Jr did an arc, then dropped it, and then started picking it up again when Black Cat came back into the picture (issue 600 i think).

Everytime Slott issues would roll around we would always get these tounge in cheek jokes referencing OMD or the results of OMD (MJ being an ex is a result of that). I'm fine with them saying oh she's an ex, but an extended conversation with the Thing about it or the joke from the start of big time I think is just trying to antagonize people who still think they could have done these stories with them together.

Oh and Pete not having Spider-sense is really lame.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:29 am

Rockman wrote:
your missing the point.

I hated OMD and the start of BND. I thought the whole deal with devil thing ruined the character.

I stopped reading for years and only started again when Romita Jr did an arc, then dropped it, and then started picking it up again when Black Cat came back into the picture (issue 600 i think).

Everytime Slott issues would roll around we would always get these tounge in cheek jokes referencing OMD or the results of OMD (MJ being an ex is a result of that). I'm fine with them saying oh she's an ex, but an extended conversation with the Thing about it or the joke from the start of big time I think is just trying to antagonize people who still think they could have done these stories with them together.

Oh and Pete not having Spider-sense is really lame.

I really don't think Slott is trying to antagonise you.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:40 am

My LCS sold out of ASM. I'll check the other one, a little further away, to grab it.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:42 am

Punchy wrote:
I really don't think Slott is trying to antagonise you.

not me personally.

I think he's poking fun at people who liked the marriage though.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:44 am

Rockman wrote:
not me personally.

I think he's poking fun at people who liked the marriage though.

Well why shouldn't he? They're pretty ridiculous at this point! :P

I think it's anti-OMD people being too sensitive, rather than Slott being deliberately provocative.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:32 am

Punchy wrote:
Well why shouldn't he? They're pretty ridiculous at this point! :P

I think it's anti-OMD people being too sensitive, rather than Slott being deliberately provocative.

I've given this series several chances since OMD.

Sadly slott isn't the writer for me on this title. I've never particularly cared for anything by him but I keep giving him a shot but its a waste. He's the Marvel version of Geoff Johns.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 200 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:31 pm

0 for story? :lol:

You're tripping.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 375 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:59 pm

I haven't read any title starring Spider-Man in years and as a result I was afraid that I wouldn't understand everything that was going on this issue. Admittedly there were a few changes that surprised me (not that I wasn't expecting that to be the case thought) like, "when did J Jonah Jameson become Mayor of New York?" and "When did JJJ get a father named Jay and when did that father get together with Aunt May?" I do have to say that Dan Slott did a good job of making sure that new readers like myself did indeed understand these points and also in staying on them only long enough for them to be clear before getting on with the story. I do have to say that I like where Peter is currently working -- it makes a lot of sense.

There really wasn't anything for me to point out that was bad. I got a laugh out of the hospital scene with Betty -- "It's stuck to my skin! It won't come off!" I also enjoyed the poker scene as well as the fight with Julia Carpenter. Having said all of that, we come to the bottom line of the whole point of this issue. It's a prelude issue for Spider Island and as such if it works the way it's supposed to, the reader should come away wanting to see what happens in that story. That may have been the case with others, but sadly not with me. I liked everything having to do with the supporting cast and Peter's current life but had no interest in anything having to do with the build up to Spider Island.

This is a tough one for me to rate because I really enjoyed the fluff half of it, but had no interest in the Spider Island build up which is essentially the meat of the story. I guess I'll give it a 5 out of 10.
Last edited by Stephen Day on Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:10 pm

Jay is Jonah's dad, not his brother.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand