Advertisement

Review Group Week #285: Amazing Spider-Man #666

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LobsterJ
User avatar
Great Scott!!!
 
Posts: 4755
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 4:28 pm


Re: Review Group Week #285: Amazing Spider-Man #666

Postby LobsterJ » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:12 pm

Rockman wrote:
I've given this series several chances since OMD.

Sadly slott isn't the writer for me on this title. I've never particularly cared for anything by him but I keep giving him a shot but its a waste. He's the Marvel version of Geoff Johns.


except johns sells comics.

Advertisement

Stephen Day
User avatar
Wrasslin' Fan
 
Posts: 32622
Likes: 40 posts
Liked in: 44 posts
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:46 pm
Location: Canada
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja


Re: Review Group Week #285: Amazing Spider-Man #666

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:14 pm

Punchy wrote:Jay is Jonah's dad, not his brother.


Really? He looks young to be his dad. What's the story there?
Image

Thank you Troy for the sig

Stephen Day
User avatar
Wrasslin' Fan
 
Posts: 32622
Likes: 40 posts
Liked in: 44 posts
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:46 pm
Location: Canada
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja


Re: Review Group Week #285: Amazing Spider-Man #666

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:32 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
Really? He looks young to be his dad. What's the story there?


I should be clearer here. When did the character show up? I don't remember him from back when I was reading the Spider titles regularly.
Image

Thank you Troy for the sig

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post


Re: Review Group Week #285: Amazing Spider-Man #666

Postby ****** » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:43 pm

Amazing Spider-Man #666

First off, I really like Dan Slott. Or I used to, since I haven't read Spider-Man for a couple of years it's been a while since I've read his stuff. This was the most boring Dan Slott comic I have ever read. Peter's doing this, and this, and this, and this, and this... I tried to stick with it, but 20 pages in and I couldn't help but skim, just flat out too tedious for me. Some people like to whine about Peter's marriage getting OMD'd, me, I like to whine about Peter ever becoming an adult. I like Peter as a teenager, the forthcoming Untold Tales Omnibus might be the only Spider-Man book I read for the next 10 years, that's how long it's going to take for me to want to read adult Peter Parker again after this borefest.

The art was okay. I'm not a big Caselli fan, but he has continued to improve over the years.

Story: 1
Art: 6
Overall: 3.5

fieldy snuts
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 18269
Likes: 6 posts
Liked in: 10 posts
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:34 pm
Location: The 3040
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones


Re: Review Group Week #285: Amazing Spider-Man #666

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:08 pm

Though 0's and 1's are for Austen X-Men comics...this is by no means that bad =/

Rockman
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 26677
Likes: 11 posts
Liked in: 9 posts
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:25 pm
Formerly: AMS


Re: Review Group Week #285: Amazing Spider-Man #666

Postby Rockman » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:27 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:0 for story? :lol:

You're tripping.


at first I was going to give it a 6 for story, but when I really started reading it I hated it that much. This is worse than any single Austen X-men comic.

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post


Re: Review Group Week #285: Amazing Spider-Man #666

Postby ****** » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:29 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:Though 0's and 1's are for Austen X-Men comics...this is by no means that bad =/


I'd rather read something stupid than something boring. This was boring.

Amoebas
User avatar
Son of Stein
 
Posts: 18870
Likes: 69 posts
Liked in: 26 posts
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:27 pm
Location: Auburn, MA
Title: Amorphous Anomoly


Re: Review Group Week #285: Amazing Spider-Man #666

Postby Amoebas » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:00 pm

I had no intentions of getting this book but by happenstance while visiting my old home town, I went into a comic shop I hadn't been in for almost 15 years. I ran into this (now grown) kid that used to hang around there and to my utter shock he not only remembered (name and anecdotes) but he recently had bought the store. As owner he showed me HIS cover for ASM #666 (which has him on the cover) so I bought it more for the novelty of an old pal done good than for the book itself...
Image

However, once I actually read the book, which is written by Dan Slott whom I loved on She-Hulk, Thing and Might Avengers, I quickly realized that the decision I made years ago to stop reading Spider-Man was the right one.

Slott did a great job of introducing me to the status quo and characters. It read a lot like how comics used to be back when the creed was 'every comic is someone's first comic'. The difference he is that nothing in here makes me care or even give a damn about Spidey.

Two Avengers teams and the FF? Jonah STILL playing the menace card. That got old in 1964!!! Firestar acting like a dweeb. She was an Avenger (a real one) - sad to see her reduced to her old 'amazing Friends' status. Rulk - really? :roll: Jackal - really really? :roll: :roll:

The only thing that I was actually interested in reading was what Carlie wanted to talk about and of course it's the one thing that never happened.

The book is written well, but since JMS and then OMD there's still nothing here for me anymore. And that makes me sad.

The art was good but I kept getting a cartoony Terry Dodson vibe that never let up. Caselli draws an awful Thing (and all the spider men on the last, you'd think they wouldn't be wearing dress shos if they can suddenly climb walls).

Story - 3
Art - 4
Overall - 3.5

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34189
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Re: Review Group Week #285: Amazing Spider-Man #666

Postby Punchy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:58 am

Stephen Day wrote:
I should be clearer here. When did the character show up? I don't remember him from back when I was reading the Spider titles regularly.


It was during Brand New Day, in a 2-part story by Mark Waid and Marcos Martin, he and Spider-Man were trapped in the subway by the Shocker. I think it was #578. He got married to Aunt May in #600.

Rockman
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 26677
Likes: 11 posts
Liked in: 9 posts
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:25 pm
Formerly: AMS


Re: Review Group Week #285: Amazing Spider-Man #666

Postby Rockman » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:21 am

Amoebas wrote:I had no intentions of getting this book but by happenstance while visiting my old home town, I went into a comic shop I hadn't been in for almost 15 years. I ran into this (now grown) kid that used to hang around there and to my utter shock he not only remembered (name and anecdotes) but he recently had bought the store. As owner he showed me HIS cover for ASM #666 (which has him on the cover) so I bought it more for the novelty of an old pal done good than for the book itself...
Image

However, once I actually read the book, which is written by Dan Slott whom I loved on She-Hulk, Thing and Might Avengers, I quickly realized that the decision I made years ago to stop reading Spider-Man was the right one.

Slott did a great job of introducing me to the status quo and characters. It read a lot like how comics used to be back when the creed was 'every comic is someone's first comic'. The difference he is that nothing in here makes me care or even give a damn about Spidey.

Two Avengers teams and the FF? Jonah STILL playing the menace card. That got old in 1964!!! Firestar acting like a dweeb. She was an Avenger (a real one) - sad to see her reduced to her old 'amazing Friends' status. Rulk - really? :roll: Jackal - really really? :roll: :roll:

The only thing that I was actually interested in reading was what Carlie wanted to talk about and of course it's the one thing that never happened.

The book is written well, but since JMS and then OMD there's still nothing here for me anymore. And that makes me sad.

The art was good but I kept getting a cartoony Terry Dodson vibe that never let up. Caselli draws an awful Thing (and all the spider men on the last, you'd think they wouldn't be wearing dress shos if they can suddenly climb walls).

Story - 3
Art - 4
Overall - 3.5


yep thats the comic that I bought too.

Starlord
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 35133
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:03 pm
Location: Michigan


Re: Review Group Week #285: Amazing Spider-Man #666

Postby Starlord » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:15 am

Rockman wrote:
yep thats the comic that I bought too.



ditto
Image

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Eli Katz
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 10818
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 11 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:44 pm
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012


Re: Review Group Week #285: Amazing Spider-Man #666

Postby Eli Katz » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:01 pm

Well, ASM #666 isn't mind-blowingly awesome. And the scenes with Spidey swinging from robbery to robbery are a bit dull. But this isn't by any stretch a bad issue.

The overall light tone of the book is perfect for Spidey. And the story has enough allusions and references to the glorious past to warm my old fanboy heart. I am thrilled, for example, to see Gloria Grant back in Amazing Spider-Man. I hope that Slott has Gloria and Pete finally go out. Spidey writers never explored the sexual tension between these two characters back when Gloria was first introduced as Pete's neighbor. It would make for an interesting romance now -- two characters that have a long history, but no serious history, between them. Anyway, what I enjoy about Slott's Spider-Man is the balance between old and new elements. There's enough of both to interest fans no matter how long they've been following Spidey's misadventures.

The art is slightly too cartoonish for me. The exaggerated anatomy -- especially the oversized feet -- gets on my nerves. But I recognize that the illustrations are strong and dynamic and that the storytelling is straightforward yet engaging.

STORY: 6
ART: 8
OVERALL: 7

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: Review Group Week #285: Amazing Spider-Man #666

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:24 pm

Really busy right now so a short review from me..

I read so many Spider-Man comics as a kid, was a big fan, homemade Spider-Man costume one Halloween and everything. When they came out with this web shooter in the mid-'70s, I begged my parents to buy me one. Pleaded for one! In K-Mart!

Image

They said no, dammit. No?! But then I found a five dollar bill on the floor in the books aisle (romance section) as I wandered up and down the aisles cursing them and their penuriousness. My father was a God-fearin' man, and he said to take that money and buy that web shooter was to make a deal with the Devil. I said I'd call that a bargain. The best I ever had! Web shooters! Take that, Faust!

At some point though, I just burned out on the sheer number of robberies foiled, hoods webbed up, JJJ apoplectic fits, and girl troubles. And Spider-Man is one of those characters where I'm too invested in the books I read as a kid--in my case the '60s and '70s, also heavily influenced by the 1967-1970 cartoon run which I still love and own the DVD set of the complete episodes. Those Ditko issues, those John Romita issues. Early Marvel Team Up. I love those.

Dan Slott bores me a little once again here, but I think the Spider Island idea would make a fun cartoon. Dan Slott should write cartoons. Caselli does a decent job here, hopefully the dynamic style will work well with a city full of webs and web-slingers. (Hate the FF suit though. There's no reason for a group as currently diverse as the Future Foundation to dress alike anyway, and the new designs are el sucko.) Slott's writing just drags for me, I don't mean to be rude about it, he's just not my cup of tea. I will be buying the Cloak & Dagger tie-in issues though, out of fondness for the characters.

Good but not great, I can see how this might go either way, fun or lame.

6.75

fieldy snuts
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 18269
Likes: 6 posts
Liked in: 10 posts
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:34 pm
Location: The 3040
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones


Re: Review Group Week #285: Amazing Spider-Man #666

Postby fieldy snuts » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:33 pm

This being a prelude, I attributed the "not much happens except intro's to everyone and every story" to that.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: Review Group Week #285: Amazing Spider-Man #666

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:36 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:This being a prelude, I attributed the "not much happens except intro's to everyone and every story" to that.


It covered a decent amount of territory, just a lot of it was familiar territory. One thing I forgot, I hope Jameson gets powers.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: costard, Google [Bot] and 70 guests

Advertisement