Advertisement

Review Group Week #287 - Detective Comics #881

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts

Re: Review Group Week #287 - Detective Comics #881

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:00 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:I wonder when Snydely whiplash will occur

:smt017
The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 346 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:33 pm

Royal Nonesuch wrote:

:smt017

I thought it was a clever name.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:34 pm

Detective Comics #881

Rarely in my adult life do I come across a run that I know instantly will stand the test of time. This is that story. The final chapter to the story of James Gordon, Jr. was just as chilling as every chapter that preceded it. Not only that but Snyder has taken a major moment in the history of Batman and possibly added a new layer to it that would make the hair on the back of Stephen King's neck rise.

The Art played beautifully with the words, allowing for every character their due with some very heavy material.

This issue is just like this run: Picture Perfect

Story: 10
Art: 10
My Score: 10

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:25 am

Detective Comics #881 - 'The Face In The Glass' - Snyder, Jock and Francavilla

Story - I don't really feel comfortable giving a review for this issue, I liked it, but since this is the only chapter of the story I've read, I don't really have that much to say. Snyder is a writer who's impressed me on American Vampire and now Severed, but I decided not to pick up his run on Detective Comics, I don't like Dick Grayson as a character, and two Batman titles were enough for me (Batman Incorporated for the Morrison and Batman & Robin for Damian if you're interested), so I left this one on the shelf.

Picking up this issue right at the end shows that not deciding to buy 'Tec may have been a mistake, Snyder gets Batman, and has returned the character to the more urban and realistic roots of Miller and Rucka, rather than the Silver-Age elements that Morrison brought back in. It all looks like something that's right up my street. I like the use of James Gordon Junior as a villain, and the book had one great shocking moment in the revelation that Barbara Gordon had knives in her legs, but coming in that the end... I didn't care that much. I haven't been following this story from the beginning and seen the mystery that James Junior is the answer to unravel. The shocks here mean little and less to me.

This issue has prompted me to make sure I pick up this story once it comes out in trade (although now I have the ending spoiled for me, d'oh!) and reinforced my decision to pick up Snyder's new Batman #1 in September, but I can't really rave about this as much as the rest of you. It's another case of 'it's not you, it's me', this is a good comic, the reasons for not liking it lie with me. Maybe once I've read the trade I'll pop in with a proper review.

Art - The art was something you don't need prior knowledge to praise, and this issue had great art. I've been wondering for a while my Franco Francavilla's art for Black Panther has seemed a little rushed lately, and now I have my answer, he's been cheating on T'Challa with Batman! The shame! But his work here is up to his usual idiosyncratic genius, his take on James Gordon Junior is fantastically creepy. Jock has long been a favourite, and whilst he doesn't get as many pages as I'd like, but it looks good. I bet it'll look great in the trade.

Best Line - The entire conversation between Oracle and her brother, just gripping stuff, and pretty realistic psychopath. Makes a change from the usual Batman nuts.

6/10

Good comic, but I can't really rate it properly until I've read the whole story.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:55 pm

I'm glad you liked it Punchy!

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:30 am

I'm compiling the Front-Page article now, if you don't get your review up by tonight, it won't be in the article!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:32 am

Oh yeah, and the book currently has an average of 9.2/10.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:48 am

Punchy, gimme until about 4 o'Clock and I'll get mine in. Gonna be a 9 if you wanna work out the average already.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:54 am

Zero wrote:Punchy, gimme until about 4 o'Clock and I'll get mine in. Gonna be a 9 if you wanna work out the average already.

Will do.

Comic_Doctor
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Tag Team

Postby Comic_Doctor » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:11 am

I haven't read an issue of Detective Comics in a long time, so I had absolutely no idea what was happening in the series. I knew this was the last issue, but that's only because it was mentioned when picked for this week's Review Group. That said, I did enjoy this issue quite a lot.

The story was wordy, but I didn't mind. It really helped me catch up on what has happened lately, and I felt that it fit James' character. Snyder is growing as a writer in my eyes.

The art was moody, and it fit the issue nicely. I liked all the reds used in the coloring for the kidnapping scenes. Very good storytelling as well.

There was lots of action near the end of the issue, and it was portrayed with lots of energy!

GRADE: 7 of 10

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:41 am

Detective Comics #881

Scott Snyder has been a revelation on Detective Comics, and has been gifted with two exceptional artists with which to tell his year-long story on the title. Jock I already knew as one of my favourite artists but Francesco Francavilla came out of nowhere for me and brought all the necessary menace, gloom and wonderful facial acting that a story like this needed. Both artists had plenty of shocking reveals over the course of the year and the sight of Barbara's legs here, as well as Gordon's entrance at the end of the story are both very well handed.

As to the story itself, it's a real shame the DC reboot is relieving Dick of the cowl as in James jr he seems to have found himself a foe every bit as vile as any of his mentor's and far more personal to boot. This was an expertly done story of families and of Dick really coming into his own as Batman. It's a shame we have to get the status quo back so quickly, but at least we got one truly classic story out of it.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:22 am

I think this is the highest rated book I ever picked. :D

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:53 am

The new average is 8.86.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:01 pm

Punchy wrote:The new average is 8.86.

Still the highest rated book I ever picked!!!

Thanks everyone who read it.

Kiss my butt those who didn't.

I'll kiss your butt if you will.
:groucho:

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 346 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:11 pm

Those of you who gave it a low score because you haven't read the run should do your best to find the whole run because this really is an amazing book.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand