Advertisement

Review Group Week #287 - Detective Comics #881

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Re: Review Group Week #287 - Detective Comics #881

Postby fieldy snuts » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:03 pm

Detective Comics #881

Snyder can write some really twisted stuff. All his stuff that I've read confirms that and this book is no exception. The true extent of how messed up James Jr. was puts him right up there with the Joker in the way he took a perverse pleasure in torturing his sister, especially regarding the references to The Killing Joke.

Dick Grayson came off as more Batman than ever yet still had some sort of individuality that seperates him from Bruce Wayne, a plus to the credit of Snyder's writing...but the Batman role in this story felt kind of jarring and out of place to me as the real strength of the story came from the Gordon family's role throughout this arc...I struggle to think of a story where Commissioner Gordon has been put through the wringer so much and after the title was a Gordon-centric book for so long I didn't care for it at all. As a result, while this was a great conclusion to a truly epic run, it wasn't exactly the strongest book Snyder has put out on this title. Still great though.

I'm really annoyed that Snyder is off this book and will be separated from artists like Jock and Francavilla is favor of artists like Capullo who'll be giving us Riddler mohawks. He gave us probably one of the best Detective Comics runs in the titles history (which was further enhanced by such fitting artists) only to be paired with someone who has what i see as the generic DC in-house art style. Maybe my fears are unfounded, but DC's track record with artist/writer pairings worries me.

On the art front...there is no doubt in my mind that Jock and Francavilla (Miss you on Black Panther :( )are awesome artists. I'd kill to have them do street level books over at Marvel, especially Jock who I've loved whenever he does collaborations with Andy Diggle. But despite how they can both carry books, the way the art transitioned from one to the other inside an issue was a bit jarring to say the least, especially since it went right back to Jock in mid-scene of all things. Really ruined the feel of the art.

Story: 8.5
Art: 8
Overall: 8.5

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

Re: Review Group Week #287 - Detective Comics #881

Postby Punchy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:33 am

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15297&catid=69&Itemid=176

Article.

The final average score is 8.81, which is kind of creepy, #881 gets a score of 8.81.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand