Advertisement

Review Group Week #289: Ultimates #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 32 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Re: Review Group Week #289: Ultimates #1

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:14 am

Punchy wrote:Can we please stop reviewing based on price points? It fits within the RG's limits, that should be enough.

I could see why paying an extra dollar for a plastic bag and a two page spread of the title of the book could effect one's opinion of the comic.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:21 am

Punchy wrote:Can we please stop reviewing based on price points? It fits within the RG's limits, that should be enough.

Ok, a big fat zero then for the fact that this was undistinguished from its 616 counterparts entirely with the exception of Nick Fury's melanin count, and that it seems to pick up on plot-points from Fallout that didn't make much sense to me.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:27 am

I didn't like the story because it portrayed Captain Britain as arrogant and bullheaded with a superiority complex and a tendency to unnecessarily pick fights. I really think that Hickman is trying to cast the British in a poor light, as we know that Brits wouldn't actually act like that. :P

On a related note, was it just me or did Hickman sneak in that all of Southeast Asia was one country now? I recall reading that last night but didn't want to reread the book.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:43 am

Ultimates #1

Hickman does one thing in his work that no other writer of late has been able to do for me. He makes me appreciate Bendis and Morrison. This book was SO not worth the money it's not funny. There really is nothing here worth reading at all. As usual with Hickman there is setup, setup, and then there is some setup.

It's a first issue, I know, so that is to be expected, unfortunatly he is so dull in his dialogue that I became uninterested in about three pages. I think he's so focused on creating this ultra amazing story with two hundred threads that he loses perception on the characters he's writing about.

Now if you are a fan of Hickman's writing, then go for it. This is probably right up your ally. Personally I don't get it, but then I've never really understood the Ultimate Universe other than another playground where this time writers can kill off whoever they want much easier. For me this was probably the worst comic I've read in several months. Even the art did nothing for me, though it wasn't horrible, but it was bland. The whole book was bland.

Story: 0
Art:2
My Score: 1

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:50 am

Asmodeus Jones wrote:
Ok, a big fat zero then for the fact that this was undistinguished from its 616 counterparts entirely with the exception of Nick Fury's melanin count, and that it seems to pick up on plot-points from Fallout that didn't make much sense to me.

Harsh.

This was still better than any of the last 5 Bendis Avengers comics we've reviewed, IMO.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:52 am

John Snow wrote:
Harsh.

This was still better than any of the last 5 Bendis Avengers comics we've reviewed, IMO.

Have we reviewed a Bendis comic since New Avengers #3? (too lazy to check the SoD)

Postby ****** » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:02 am

BlueStreak wrote:
Have we reviewed a Bendis comic since New Avengers #3? (too lazy to check the SoD)

Thank god no.

That was worse than either of Jude's XMF picks.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:04 am

John Snow wrote:
Harsh.

Not nearly enough, IMO. And the polybag/dollar increase for a two-page reiteration of the title in BIG LETTERS is enough of a fucking boondoggle to kill any and all of the leeway I would've given the book. It irritated me so that I didn't have any good-will for the writer or comic by the time I reached the third page.

FF on the other hand was actually decent this month.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:13 am

John Snow wrote:
Harsh.

No, it wasn't. Actually Bendis' entire run on all the Avengers books was better than this one single issue.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:32 am

BlueStreak wrote:I didn't like the story because it portrayed Captain Britain as arrogant and bullheaded with a superiority complex and a tendency to unnecessarily pick fights. I really think that Hickman is trying to cast the British in a poor light, as we know that Brits wouldn't actually act like that. :P

On a related note, was it just me or did Hickman sneak in that all of Southeast Asia was one country now? I recall reading that last night but didn't want to reread the book.

To be fair, the Captain Britain in this issue is Jamie Braddock, who is, in the 616 an insane villain, so this is a step up!

Daringd
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Daringd » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:36 am

Actually guys I looked at the shipping again and some how missed that Uncanny X-Force #14 was coming out. So if it is cool with everyone can I change my pick to
Uncanny X-Force #14

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:42 am

BlueStreak wrote:
I could see why paying an extra dollar for a plastic bag and a two page spread of the title of the book could effect one's opinion of the comic.

But why? When we reviewed All-Nighter did it get better reviews because it was free?

Postby ****** » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:46 am

Asmodeus Jones wrote:
Not nearly enough, IMO. And the polybag/dollar increase for a two-page reiteration of the title in BIG LETTERS is enough of a fucking boondoggle to kill any and all of the leeway I would've given the book. It irritated me so that I didn't have any good-will for the writer or comic by the time I reached the third page.

FF on the other hand was actually decent this month.

The title pages don't bother me. It's clearly a vanity thing with Hickman and his design background.

Postby ****** » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:48 am

Daringd wrote:Actually guys I looked at the shipping again and some how missed that Uncanny X-Force #14 was coming out. So if it is cool with everyone can I change my pick to
Uncanny X-Force #14

Here comes the Remendlash, motherfuckers! :deadpool

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:51 am

John Snow wrote:
Here comes the Remendlash, motherfuckers! :deadpool

It's called the 'Ricklash' granddad!

leave a comment with facebook