Advertisement

Review Group Week #289: Ultimates #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post


Re: Review Group Week #289: Ultimates #1

Postby ****** » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:53 am

Punchy wrote:
But why? When we reviewed All-Nighter did it get better reviews because it was free?


There's a difference between an artist trying to get their work out and seen any way that they can and one of the world's largest entertainment corporations squeezing an extra dollar out of you for a preview of another book and around a 1 in 7,500 chance of getting a book signed by Stan Lee.

It may not effect the actual content of the book, but it can certainly effect the perception of the reader.

Advertisement

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post


Re: Review Group Week #289: Ultimates #1

Postby ****** » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:55 am

Punchy wrote:
It's called the 'Ricklash' granddad!


He's too shitty for me to make the effort to remember his first name.

Starlord
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 35133
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:03 pm
Location: Michigan


Re: Review Group Week #289: Ultimates #1

Postby Starlord » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:58 am

Woo Hoo! Love X-Force! Like Rick! Hopefully this will help me get the bad taste out of my mouth from this week. :lol:
Image

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34187
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Re: Review Group Week #289: Ultimates #1

Postby Punchy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:01 am

John Snow wrote:
He's too shitty for me to make the effort to remember his first name.


Remender is awesome, and X-Force is his best work so far. Of course you probably still think Fear Agent was his best, and have been Ricklashing since he 'sold out' but working at Marvel has made him 10 times the writer he was.

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post


Re: Review Group Week #289: Ultimates #1

Postby ****** » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:09 am

Punchy wrote:
Remender is awesome, and X-Force is his best work so far. Of course you probably still think Fear Agent was his best, and have been Ricklashing since he 'sold out' but working at Marvel has made him 10 times the writer he was.


His indie work was the worst. All concept, no execution horseshit.

Starlord
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 35133
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:03 pm
Location: Michigan


Re: Review Group Week #289: Ultimates #1

Postby Starlord » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:10 am

John Snow wrote:
His indie work was the worst. All concept, no execution horseshit.


That sounds like Hickman to me? :smt017
Image

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34187
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Re: Review Group Week #289: Ultimates #1

Postby Punchy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:11 am

John Snow wrote:
His indie work was the worst. All concept, no execution horseshit.


At Marvel he's actually been able to execute stuff, I mean, he made Punisher-as-Frankenstein work.

Starlord
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 35133
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:03 pm
Location: Michigan


Re: Review Group Week #289: Ultimates #1

Postby Starlord » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:14 am

Punchy wrote:
At Marvel he's actually been able to execute stuff, I mean, he made Punisher-as-Frankenstein work.


The only time since Ennis that I actually enjoyed Punisher.
Image

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: Review Group Week #289: Ultimates #1

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:15 am

John Snow wrote:
The title pages don't bother me. It's clearly a vanity thing with Hickman and his design background.


#1, not gonna pay for some dude's "vanity", #2, every other person in the world has a "design background" at this point--even me--and that doesn't mean that was good design or use of page-space at all. Actually, as far as graphic design goes, you almost could not do a lazier job on those 2 pages than BIG BLACK LETTERS of the title.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34187
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Re: Review Group Week #289: Ultimates #1

Postby Punchy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:19 am

Starlord wrote:
The only time since Ennis that I actually enjoyed Punisher.


You're not reading Jason Aaron's run?

Read my article on it!

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post


Re: Review Group Week #289: Ultimates #1

Postby ****** » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:23 am

Punchy wrote:
At Marvel he's actually been able to execute stuff, I mean, he made Punisher-as-Frankenstein work.


The artists made that work. The two issues we read for the group were suck.

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post


Re: Review Group Week #289: Ultimates #1

Postby ****** » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:24 am

Asmodeus Jones wrote:
#1, not gonna pay for some dude's "vanity", #2, every other person in the world has a "design background" at this point--even me--and that doesn't mean that was good design or use of page-space at all. Actually, as far as graphic design goes, you almost could not do a lazier job on those 2 pages than BIG BLACK LETTERS of the title.


I DIDN'T SAY IT WAS GOOD!

I just said it didn't bother me. :smt102

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: Review Group Week #289: Ultimates #1

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:31 am

John Snow wrote:
I DIDN'T SAY IT WAS GOOD!

I just said it didn't bother me. :smt102


You know what, if it'd been a $2.99 and he chose to waste 2 pages (and a third at the end, BTW), fine. But don't ask me to pay an additional dollar for 2 extra pages that are just wasted telling you what the title of the comic is after you've just turned the page from the cover itself--there is NO utility that adds to the comic, none at all.

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post


Re: Review Group Week #289: Ultimates #1

Postby ****** » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:38 am

Asmodeus Jones wrote:
You know what, if it'd been a $2.99 and he chose to waste 2 pages (and a third at the end, BTW), fine. But don't ask me to pay an additional dollar for 2 extra pages that are just wasted telling you what the title of the comic is after you've just turned the page from the cover itself--there is NO utility that adds to the comic, none at all.


All true, but it still doesn't bother me. He should do it every issue.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: Review Group Week #289: Ultimates #1

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:12 pm

John Snow wrote:
All true, but it still doesn't bother me. He should do it every issue.


Prepare to be Netzered! :x

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alijafferythehunk, Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 77 guests

Advertisement