Advertisement

NCAA Football Preview Pt. 2

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Carrie

Liked in: 63 posts

NCAA Football Preview Pt. 2

Postby Carrie » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:59 am

NCAA football columnist Ben Wilder takes on the big boys of the Big 10, Pac 10 and the SEC in his second and final installment of the 2008 NCAA Football Preview.

Advertisement

C20Percent
rubber spoon

Liked in: 0 post

Postby C20Percent » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:33 am

Alabama got off to a decent start last year -- the game against FSU notwithstanding -- but they completely lost it in their last 4 regular season games (still didn't lose any game by more than 7 points). I'm pretty excited with the improved offense and an experienced QB under center. If we can survive Clemson and Arkansas, then I think we've got a good chance against Georgia, but if we go into that game with a .500 record, then it's game over.

Mississippi State over Alabama? :smt018

And I'm gonna go with the upset: Wisconsin over Ohio State in the Big-10.

zombiemichaeljackson
rubber spoon

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:39 am

C20Percent wrote: If we can survive Clemson and Arkansas, then I think we've got a good chance against Georgia, but if we go into that game with a .500 record, then it's game over.

I really don't think Arkansas is going to be a problem this year, they probably still have enough talent hanging around to win a few they shouldn't, but overall they're going to have a pretty awful year.

Mississippi State over Alabama?

That's what I thought too, but when I was putting this together I did a pretty ridiculous amount of research and the more I read about Miss St. the more I realized that they have a chance to be really good. They just need Carrol to go from 'efficient' to 'good' and for the receivers to step up.

The problem Wisconsin has is that they have one of the harder in conference schedules in the Big Ten. I think Illinois may surprise people with how well their defense plays this year.
Last edited by zombiemichaeljackson on Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:40 am

C20Percent wrote:Alabama got off to a decent start last year -- the game against FSU notwithstanding -- but they completely lost it in their last 4 regular season games (still didn't lose any game by more than 7 points). I'm pretty excited with the improved offense and an experienced QB under center. If we can survive Clemson and Arkansas, then I think we've got a good chance against Georgia, but if we go into that game with a .500 record, then it's game over.

Mississippi State over Alabama? :smt018

you might do well to remember that Alabumble hasn't scored an offensive TD on the Dogs since 2004. ;-) additionally, State gets two weeks to prepare for that game this year, while Bama will be coming directly off Saban's first return game to Baton Rouge. even if Bama doesn't get annihilated in that game (which i think they will), Saban may not survive it. those students are gonna have something special waiting for him.

also, State's schedule lines up well, playing UT, Vandy, and UK from the East, while Bama has to play UK, UGA, and UT. i can definitely see the Dogs finishing 3rd in the West (even without my maroon-colored glasses).
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

C20Percent
rubber spoon

Postby C20Percent » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:50 am

chap22 wrote:you might do well to remember that Alabama (FU!) hasn't scored an offensive TD on the Dogs since 2004. ;-)

A little wager, then? :)

I think the MissStake vs. Alabama game boils down like this -- whichever team has the most to play for will win that game.

This is all a moot point because Alabama is gonna own the SEC is about 2-3 years.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:02 pm

C20Percent wrote:A little wager, then? :)

I think the MissStake vs. Alabama game boils down like this -- whichever team has the most to play for will win that game.

This is all a moot point because Alabama is gonna own the SEC is about 2-3 years.
i think honestly at that point they'll both be 6-win teams jockeying for bowl position. and i'll wait until closer to game time to see about injuries, etc before i place any wagers with you. ;-)

but i'll say this...i ain't scared of 'Bama in the least. and i also ain't scared of them "owning" anything any time soon.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

zombiemichaeljackson
rubber spoon

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:04 pm

I didn't get a chance to fit this in the article, but after looking over all the conferences I think they rank like this for the upcoming year.

SEC-duh
Big 12-Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas Tech, and Texas can all have legitimate shots to be *very* good.
Pac 10-there's a little drop off this year as a bunch of the teams, Oregon, Oregon St, Cal, UCLA, are reloading.
Big Ten-They'll be better than last year, but not great.
Big East-They'll fall off a little, and W.Va aren't going to be even remotely as good as people think, but it should be competitve.
ACC-Other than Clemson and maaaaaybe Va Tech this conference is dog poo right now.

C20Percent
rubber spoon

Postby C20Percent » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:08 pm

No Missouri vs. Oklahoma or Missouri vs. Texas Tech = Total Fail.

I think Kansas gets exposed this year.

GratefulFred
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby GratefulFred » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:04 pm

Go Vols!

Carrie

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby Carrie » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:10 pm

GratefulFred wrote:Go Vols!

What he said. :wink:

GratefulFred
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby GratefulFred » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:43 pm

Carrie wrote:What he said. :wink:

*high-five*

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:47 pm

C20Percent wrote:And I'm gonna go with the upset: Wisconsin over Ohio State in the Big-10.

Not with the lack of depth they're not.

C20Percent
rubber spoon

Postby C20Percent » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:01 pm

Chris wrote:Not with the lack of depth they're not.

How about if Wisconsin wins the Big-10 you give me 5 trades -- if anybody else wins I give you 1 trade?

Wait a minute... :smt012

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:43 pm

C20Percent wrote:How about if Wisconsin wins the Big-10 you give me 5 trades -- if anybody else wins I give you 1 trade?

Wait a minute... :smt012

Wisconsin lost their shot.

Last year was the year the Buckeyes were supposed to finish second or even third in the Big 10, and Wisconsin was supposed to finish first. I remember all the talk before the season began.

Now, I just don't think Wisconsin has enough, whereas the Buckeyes are pretty much at their peak once more with experienced offense, defense, and depth.

zombiemichaeljackson
rubber spoon

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:18 pm

Chris wrote:whereas the Buckeyes are pretty much at their peak once more with experienced offense, defense, and depth.

I still don't think OSU has enough speed in their front seven to stop a truly elite offense, but I do think that they're good enough to make them have to work up and down the field, and I also think that Wells can grind out enough yards to keep the ball away from the aforementioned offense. So, while I think they can play with USC it will take a perfect game to actually beat them.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum