Advertisement

Review Group Week #289: Ultimates #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Comic_Doctor
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Tag Team

Re: Review Group Week #289: Ultimates #1

Postby Comic_Doctor » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:18 pm

I'm a bit behind on my reviews, but I wanted to get something in for this ASAP

-------------------

I've been totally out of the loop when it comes to reading any Ultimate books. I knew Spidey was going to bite it, so I picked up his last issue, then the full Ultimate Fallout mini.

With the little I've read recently, I still found Ultimate Comics The Ultimates #1 easily accessible (for the most part). I've always enjoyed Hickman's writing, and although this isn't his best work, it's still quality stuff that had me interested. All the characters are familiar, even if I don't know the Ultimate versions that well.

Esad Ribic is an amazing artist - his 'painted' work is always top-notch. It seemed that his interiors here were pencil and ink, with no painting involved. As a result it didn't look like Ribic art that I'm used to. It wasn't up to par for Ribic IMO.

The combined effort was enough to please the comic fan in me, and they did their job well enough since I plan on getting issue #2.

GRADE: 7.5 of 10

Advertisement

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 161 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Re: Review Group Week #289: Ultimates #1

Postby superfictious » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:48 pm

You know, I enjoy Hickman's work much more when I don't have to reread and review them. He's a 'young' writer with a lot of great ideas and a fun approach but sometimes things just don't click. Ultimates is one of those times.

I had to think twice about how to review this book. Even though I consider it a centerpiece for a linewide reboot, I'm going to judge the book on its on merits and not how it handles being the first book in a relaunch.

There's just nothing really special about this. We're introduced to a new, mysterious faction in the middle of nowhere and their symbolic atomic-mushroom shaped construct. We have Nick Fury back in control of SHIELD and handling multiple crises with cool aplomb. We have Iron Man, Hawkeye, Thor, and international teams of supersoldiers being hastily dispatched to deal with these crises. Of course, things go horribly wrong and we're left to wonder what-the-fuck and What Would Cap Do? But it feels as Hickman is relying on the reputation of the Ultimates to make the landscape bigger and more grandiose than what's actually put on the page. Reading a book about supersoldiers at war is a lot more fun when we know who the enemy is, even if it's under the vague umbrella of 'terrorism'.

And, yeah I know I'm in the really small minority, I don't like the art. It's pretty, I guess, but it's soulless and confined. Even the part with the Asgardians, which should highlight proseless storytelling, doesn't seem that impressive. It seems like silence for the sake of it in a medium that's meant to take advantage of word and art.

Maybe I've just changed too much to appreciate the Ultimate Universe. I hope not. I like Hickman enough to give the title another chance but I'm wondering if there's anything unique he can impart this book and the UU that's not already being done better in the current 616.

Story: 5
Art: 6

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand