Advertisement

Review Group Week #290: Uncanny X-Force #14

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: Review Group Week #290: Uncanny X-Force #14

Postby Punchy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:25 am

John Snow wrote:Marvel's best book my hairy white ass. Fucking retards.

I said ONE OF!

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:15 am

Why is everybody so pissy this week?

I blame Justice League #1.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:17 am

I had consumed more than a few adult beverages when I made that post, but I stand by the 'fucking retards' portion.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:30 am

John Snow wrote:I had consumed more than a few adult beverages when I made that post, but I stand by the 'fucking retards' portion.

Out of curiosity, what do you consider to be Marvel's best book?

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:24 am

Probably either The Stand or Daredevil.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 64 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:07 am

John Snow wrote:Probably either The Stand or Daredevil.

Definitely Punisher Max.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 362 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:09 am

Zero wrote:
Definitely Punisher Max.

that only half counts.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:25 am

Uncanny X-Force #14 - 'The Dark Angel Saga, Chapter Four: Thunder For The Next World' - Remender, Opena and White

Story - Look, it was a surprise to me too. I never expected to like Uncanny X-Force. I mean, it was X-Force, it's a lame concept. The X-Men, but we kill! EXTREME HARDCORE ROCK! It looks dumb. It even has Deadpool in it, who sucks.

But then it turned out to actually be good, and to actually be trying to do something new with several hoary old X-Concepts. And it was surprising! And Deadpool wasn't even annoying! He was actually funny and had a personality! Against the wishes of seemingly the entire comics-reading world, Uncanny X-Force is actually one of the best comics Marvel is putting out. It may not get mentioned out of embarrassment, but trust me, it's damn good.

And this chapter, #14 is no exception. Of course I'm only saying this because I've read all 13 (and the point.one story) previous issues, and know what's going on. I imagine any readers who are new to the book will be mightily confused. But the short story is this, after killing Apocalypse in the first arc, X-Force now have to deal with the fact that 'Poccy has been sort of reborn in the body of Archangel. In order to save him they needed a Celestial Seed. After a brief but bloody journey into the Age Of Apocalypse continuity, the team returned to the 'real world' but came face to face with Apocalypse-Archangel and his Horsemen. It all sounds insanely complicated, but it's good fun.

This issue is divided into 3 segments, the first brings us up to speed with what Archangel has been doing whilst X-Force were in the AoA Universe. He travels with Dark Beast to a secret underground city and unleashes the 616 version of Holocaust, who is now called Genocide, because calling a character Holocaust is in bad-taste but Genocide is OK. What fascinates me about these scenes is how reasonable Archangel seems, being possessed by Apocalypse has not made him a snarling villain, he is kind to his subordinates and has a strange, sad smile on his face. He is even fairly reasonable to X-Force when he fights them. It's fucking creepy, and much more effective than it would be to have him monologuing and mwahahahahaing.

The second segment is a fight between X-Force and Archangel's gang. It's pretty damn bad-ass, and thankfully Remender subverts Fantomex's illusion powers. I've mentioned before how it seemed like Remender has over-used this trick, but perhaps this over-use was all building to this point, where it's up against a foe it has no chance of beating. You also have Wolverine immediately being taken out in a shocking way by Genocide, he has half his fucking body burned off. It's basically all down to Psylocke to take down the bad-guys, but she fails and is kidnapped.

The third segment is the aftermath of this fight, and it is goddamn bleak stuff for X-Force. Wolverine is out of action, and in a fantastic scene, Deadpool explains how they can't go to anyone else for help. Probably the best thing about this book is how Remender writes Deadpool, under RR's pen he's an actual character, and his humour doesn't override every single scene. The fact that he actually thinks in this issue is refreshing, and makes me almost like Wade Wilson for the first time ever. And when something comes from Deadpool's mouth with a straight face, you know the straits are dire indeed. I have no idea how X-Force are going to defeat Archangel, and that's a refreshing thing indeed in comics.

I also have no idea how Warren Worthington is going to come back from this as a hero, because at the end of this issue, he orders Genocide to blow up a whole town. It was just a disturbing scene, the way he talks to the little boy who is about to be reduced to mere atoms, the way the boy says 'it's OK, they're superheroes', ugh, shudder. It was an amazing ending to a great issue, and one that means I can't wait for #15 to come out.

This was quite simply another strong instalment of a great series. As I said, new readers may be a bit lost, but I'm not a new reader so I don't want to speak for them. If they are lost, they should try and catch up, because this book is worth their while. This book may come with a cache of lame 90s expectations, but it's actually a fantastic example of all that's good with modern superhero comics, it's edgy, it's funny, and it's approaching old ideas in new ways. Plus it has Fantomex in it, and that guy is awesome.

Art - Jerome Opena is back! He drew the excellent first arc of the series, but then left. He's a great fit for X-Force I think, his style is pretty unique, it's angular and kinetic, and the characters have unique facial expressions you've never seen from other artists. It separates the book from normal superhero fare, and grounds it somewhat, despite the incredibly ridiculous stuff that's going on. He is ably assisted by the colours of Dean White, who is probably, after Remender the most important member of the X-Force team, his colours unite all the different artists who have worked on the book and make it a unified whole. Great work.

Best Line - 'I haven't used any incendiary language. Why escalate things?' 'It's what I do best'

9/10

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:04 pm

I haven't been following this series, but, after reading this issue, I wish that I'd started from the start. And this admission comes from somebody who hasn't enjoyed the X-Men since the early '90s, when Jim Lee illustrated that new X-Men series. This book has solid dialogue, a great battle, and mind-blowing art. Seriously, the art in this book is amazing. The art alone makes this a worthwhile purchase -- it's that beautiful.

STORY: 8/10
ART: 10/10
OVERALL: 9/10

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:44 pm

Eli Katz wrote:I haven't been following this series, but, after reading this issue, I wish that I'd started from the start. And this admission comes from somebody who hasn't enjoyed the X-Men since the early '90s, when Jim Lee illustrated that new X-Men series. This book has solid dialogue, a great battle, and mind-blowing art. Seriously, the art in this book is amazing. The art alone makes this a worthwhile purchase -- it's that beautiful.

STORY: 8/10
ART: 10/10
OVERALL: 9/10

Uncanny X-Force, Detective Comics...

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
I TOLD YOU SO
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:26 pm

Yes, yes, you did. I bow down to thee.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:30 pm

Eli Katz wrote:Yes, yes, you did. I bow down to thee.

don't forget to cradle the balls.

- Les Paul

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:41 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
don't forget to cradle the balls.

No problem.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:45 pm

Eli Katz wrote:No problem.

excellent.

- Les Paul

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:34 pm

If Amoebas doesn't make a pick by 9 AM EST, SilverPhoenix will take control of the pick for next week.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand