Advertisement

Review Group Week #290: Uncanny X-Force #14

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Review Group Week #290: Uncanny X-Force #14

Postby Starlord » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:32 pm

Uncanny X-Force #14: First and foremost I must say that there is no other comic that Marvel puts out that is better than this. I've been on the mutant roller-coaster for 35 y
ears and this is one of those times where nearly every book is more hit than miss. THIS book, though, is firing on all thrusters. Love it. Love the art. It was my number one book in my review column: Starlord: Top to Bottom this week. This is not the best issue of the series but this is also the weakest I've read and it's still awesome.

Story: 9
Art: 10
My Score: 9.5

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Advertisement

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:36 pm

Looks like I'm rejoining the group...

Story
This continues to be my favorite book and Marvel's best. Remender has been great as the writer on this since the first issue. His dialogue is great and really nails each characters personality. I loved that despite becoming Apocalypse, Archangel has maintained a calm and not become the typical villain. It's great that Wolverine has been taken out of the fight. I would love if he was inactive the rest of this story just to see how the team makes it out of this mess without his help. It was nice to see someone foil Fantomex's illusions as I felt the gimmick was being overused. What I really like about Remender's writing is how he handles Deadpool. Despite what Punchy says, Deadpool does not suck. He's just been written poorly for several years now. That is not the case here. To see how else Deadpool can be written well, check out Joe Kelly's run on the original ongoing. Can't wait for the next issue of this book.

Art
The art in this issue is amazing. I love Opena's work and was happy to see him return to the art here. I loved his work on Vengeance of the Moon Knight and was happy to see he was the artist on Uncanny X-Force. All his characters look great as does the action sequences. I only hope he's still around post-Schism. As Punchy said, Dean White deserves praise for his coloring on the book. He's helped the art maintain consistency despite different pencilers but I feel he excels when paired with Opena.

Story - 9
Art - 10
Overall - 9.5

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Title: Harbinger of the Ponypocalyse
Formerly: Lord Solaris, Discord

Postby SilverPhoenix » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:48 am

Since the pick is mine on short notice, (If the original selector still wants the pick, I'll give it to him) I'm going to say fuck it, and pick Static Shock #1

Solicitation

The brilliant, slightly awkward high school student Virgil Hawkins transforms into the cocky electromagnetic hero Static! A mysterious tragedy forces the Hawkins family to relocate from Dakota to New York City! Virgil embarks upon new adventures in a new high school and a new internship at S.T.A.R. Labs! As Static, he dons a new uniform and establishes a new secret headquarters! But is he ready to take on the new villains who lurk in New York City's underworld?

Comic_Doctor
Motherfucker from Hell

Title: Tag Team

Postby Comic_Doctor » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:26 pm

I’ve heard great things about Uncanny X-Force since it debuted, but I have always been cautious about the praise because I didn’t want to be disappointed when I finally read it. I’m happy to say the praise was well earned.

Uncanny X-Force #14 was a solid comic, both in writing and artwork. I was unsure of its choice for this week’s review because we’re reading Chapter 4 of The Dark Angel Saga. Will a reader like me that’s not familiar with this saga be confused, or in the dark? Luckily, no.

The opening recap page quickly caught me up to speed and Rick Remender’s writing kept things simple yet good. I really enjoyed his take on the characters. They all seemed to be spot on, and each one’s dialogue seemed different and to character.

Jerome Opena is becoming a better and better artist each time I see his work. His detail was amazing, and I loved the mood he delivers in his images. Opena makes Archangel seem cold and soft at the same time. Plus the action sequences were smooth and well layed-out. A cover by one of my favorites, Esad Ribic, didn’t hurt either.

I can’t wait to read the earlier issues of Uncanny X-Force, and I’m looking forward to future issues as well.

GRADE: 8.5 of 10

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:31 pm

I don't have the time this second to write a full review, but I have enjoyed this arc so far. This isn't the strongest installment, but there are a lot of interesting things in play. Is Warren still in control in there somewhere, playing everyone? Will Fantomex's ace in the hole come into play at the end? Why is the technology in "The World" and the Celestial tech exactly the same?

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 28 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:57 pm

Just FYI, guys, Punchy is going to be filling in for me for a couple of weeks while I catch up on some real life stuff. This weekend was not the kindest to the BlueStreak family and Punchy was kind enough to help cover for me so that I can get caught up on various things without the Review Group suffering.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 280 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:03 pm

BlueStreak wrote:Just FYI, guys, Punchy is going to be filling in for me for a couple of weeks while I catch up on some real life stuff. This weekend was not the kindest to the BlueStreak family and Punchy was kind enough to help cover for me so that I can get caught up on various things without the Review Group suffering.

You go and take care of what you need to take care of. I hope things are good for you in the long run.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:03 pm

Punchy who?

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 28 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:05 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
You go and take care of what you need to take care of. I hope things are good for you in the long run.

Oh, it's nothing super serious or life-threatening. But thanks for the well wishes!

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:04 pm

If it's not serious or life threatening why are you inflicting a second reign of Punch upon us? Jerk!

For reals, take care and whateves.

I think I'm going to create an Alternative Review Group where the new mandate will be only OGNs that don't chart on Diamond. It's going to be hyper exclusive as only Mercury, Royal and myself will be members. I might have invited Eli, but he liked this week's comic way too much.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand