Sunday, July 24, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "We go in so you don't have to."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

New Avengers Annual #1 (Nookie Spoilers)

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:47 pm

This issue was worth it just to see Gabriele Dell’Otto draw those splash pages of the terrible threats the Avengers have created. Just phenomenal stuff. Dell’Otto’s stuff here wasn’t fully painted like his usual work, but it looked fantastic nonetheless. The story was decent, I initially thought Wonder Man’s heel turn was a bit silly, but you have to admit he does have a point about the bad stuff the Avengers have caused. The team he created was a lot of fun too, some pretty lame characters, but Bendis made them into a threat. I particularly liked seeing Atlas again, I miss that guy in the Thunderbolts. Plus D-Man was hilariously pathetic. It’ll be interesting to see where Bendis is taking this ‘Revengers’ concept, and how far he will take it. I suppose we have to wait for the Avengers Annual.

m0d0k

Bron-Yur Stomper

Postby m0d0k » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:15 pm

Is Wonder Man a full-on villain now? Or is he eventually redeemable?

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:40 pm

m0d0k wrote:Is Wonder Man a full-on villain now? Or is he eventually redeemable?

I think Bendis is playing on the character's history of being unstable mentally and as a result he believes the Avengers do more harm than good.

As for this being out of character? It was established long ago by LOTS of writers that ionic powers erode on people's sanity. maybe he got a reprieve through his last resurrection and it finally tipped him over the edge after Disassembled, the Civil War, House of M, WWH and Dark Reign. All of those in a way were Avenger related so in his warped view the Avengers actions were a trigger for these reactions that resulted in death and suffering for his friends.

I can see why D-Man, Ethan Edwards, Anti-Venom and Black Goliath's kid are on this team given that they're not exactly examples of perfect mental health....but the rest of the roster feels kind of shoehorned in.

The art was ok but I feel it could've used better colorist. Del'Otto's transition from a painter to a penciler still retains the feel of his cover work. the coloring though....eh.

Oh yeah, Avengers Mansion is becoming the new X-Mansion, it's getting blown up pretty often :lol:

avengingtitan

Rain Partier

Postby avengingtitan » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:46 pm

Yea Bendis has made a point of saying that Simon's mental faculties are eroding. Tony even tried to talk to him about it at one point in the first few issues of Avengers.

Zenguru

Staff Writer

Postby Zenguru » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:12 pm

"There's Captain Ultra! He's afraid of fire!"

"AAAAIIIEEEE!!!!!"

:lol:

DeadFett

Outhouse Editor

Postby DeadFett » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:20 pm

This book sure was pretty. Looking forward to Avengers Annual to see where Bendis goes with this.

Zenguru

Staff Writer

Postby Zenguru » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:33 am

DeadFett wrote:This book sure was pretty. Looking forward to Avengers Annual to see where Bendis goes with this.

You and me both. His Avengers run has been hit and miss, but this element is the story I've been waiting for.

DeadFett

Outhouse Editor

Postby DeadFett » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:56 pm

Zenguru wrote:You and me both. His Avengers run has been hit and miss, but this element is the story I've been waiting for.

I'm also glad The Hood isn't involved in this too.

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:07 am

DeadFett wrote:

The Hood will probably be on the New Dark Avengers :groucho:

Zenguru

Staff Writer

Postby Zenguru » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:14 am

DeadFett wrote:

If Bendis puts Hood in the Avengers Annual, I will personally shred my copy and make a Bendis doll out of the scraps and burn it. And over that fire I will wish that he be teamed at least semi-permanently with Rob Liefeld.

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:29 am

fieldy snuts wrote:
I think Bendis is playing on the character's history of being unstable mentally and as a result he believes the Avengers do more harm than good.

As for this being out of character? It was established long ago by LOTS of writers that ionic powers erode on people's sanity. maybe he got a reprieve through his last resurrection and it finally tipped him over the edge after Disassembled, the Civil War, House of M, WWH and Dark Reign. All of those in a way were Avenger related so in his warped view the Avengers actions were a trigger for these reactions that resulted in death and suffering for his friends.

I can see why D-Man, Ethan Edwards, Anti-Venom and Black Goliath's kid are on this team given that they're not exactly examples of perfect mental health....but the rest of the roster feels kind of shoehorned in.

The art was ok but I feel it could've used better colorist. Del'Otto's transition from a painter to a penciler still retains the feel of his cover work. the coloring though....eh.

Oh yeah, Avengers Mansion is becoming the new X-Mansion, it's getting blown up pretty often :lol:

I hope the next issue shows the reconstruction of the mansion complete with blueprints.

/FourthmanRIP'd

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:46 am

Dell'otto made this book damn near unreadable for me. seriously, people like that muddied crap? i couldn't tell half the villains apart AT ALL through the whole book. just not a fan.

story was alright though.

DeadFett

Outhouse Editor

Postby DeadFett » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:46 am

Zenguru wrote:If Bendis puts Hood in the Avengers Annual, I will personally shred my copy and make a Bendis doll out of the scraps and burn it. And over that fire I will wish that he be teamed at least semi-permanently with Rob Liefeld.

:lol: And I will join you.

leave a comment with facebook