Advertisement

Idiot's Guide Weekly: The Quest for The New Comic Book Reader, Part Two

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 206 posts

Idiot's Guide Weekly: The Quest for The New Comic Book Reader, Part Two

Postby LOLtron » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:35 am

IGW presents part two of a three part satire about what the comic book industry is doing to bring in new readers.

(Editor's Note: This is part two of a three-part, half-cocked satire about the comic book industry's attempt to draw more readers into comics.  All characters presented in the satire are fictional.  Part one can be found here.) 

The Quest for the Mythical New Comic Book Reader Part Two: The Reboot

Having been thoroughly creeped out by Joey Q's methods and worried that he might find me interesting enough to add to his kill list, I quickly left the coffee shop and hopped on a jet to fly to Warner Bros. national headquarters to meet up with Tiple D, DC's Chief Executive in Charge of New Comic Book Readers Acquisition. When I arrived at WB's headquarters, I was ushered to the basement and then into a disheveled office at the end of a dark hallway.

I was struck with how complicated his office seemed to be. The office was filled with chalkboards and whiteboards, many of which contained random phrases such as "The Death Did Happen, the Characters Did Not!" or "In the DCnU, Mickey Mouse was never born." Comic books were strewn across the floor and around the chalkboards with no discernable pattern or organization.   In one corner a small bonfire had been lit using several stacks of comic books, causing a haze of smoke to fill the room.

As I took a step into the room to get a closer look, a bald man in a lab coat came rushing at me. "DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING!" he screamed. "EVERYTHING IS ALMOST PERFECT!" This man was Triple D. 

After assuring him that I wouldn't disturb anything in the room, Triple D composed himself and greeted me. He appeared to be slightly jittery and distracted. When I asked him what was wrong, he explained that his company had recently begun ratcheting up the pressure for positive sales figures and an end to the eroding market. According to Triple D, if WB didn't see positive results soon they'd cut his funding and put him out of a job.

As we talked, Triple D would occasionally pick up a random comic and toss it into another pile or jot down another nonsensical phrase on one of his chalkboards. When I asked him why the office was in such disarray, he shot me a puzzled look. "Don't you see? This is how we bring in new readers."

"By trashing your office and setting stuff on fire?" I asked.

"The old ways weren't working. There needed to be a change. This, this is the change that's needed." I asked him to explain further. "The fire made up of old comics draws them in. That way they know that we're getting rid of the old world and replacing it with a new one. Once they're inside, we've put our new comics on top of the piles of the old ones so that new comic book readers can find them easier and are able to understand them without worrying about what came before."

He suddenly stopped in front of a pile of comics and pulled out a random issue of The Flash. "Damnit, Wally West! People don't care about you! Why do you keep pestering me?" He crumpled up the comic and hurled into the fire in the corner of the room. "Sorry, the new universe is still a work in progress. We're still trying to figure everything out."

"So how would a messy, obviously incomplete world attract new comic book readers?" 

"Because people like new things! People don't want old boring things like books or records or network television. They want the Twitters referenced and cell phones and strip clubs! No one cares about history, all people care about is the now!" He suddenly pulled out a piece of chalk and scribbled "We're all Cyborgs now!" onto a nearby chalkboard.

"Do you honestly think this will work?" I asked.

"I certainly hope so," Triple D responded. "Otherwise WB may pull my funding and just get rid of their comic division all together." He sighed. "Desperate times call for desperate measures. " Before I had a chance to continue, Triple D pointed to the door. "Look! The reboot is working! A new comic book reader approaches!"

Sure enough, a new comic book reader cautiously came into the room and started sniffing around. His eyes were nervous and his steps unsteady, but eventually he made his way to a pile and picked up a comic. He smiled as he read it and gently put it down when he finished, and picked up another comic off the mound.

Triple D's eyes flashed in anger. "NO! NO! NO!" he yelled. "THOSE OLD COMICS DON'T MATTER ANYMORE! PUT IT DOWN, PUT IT DOWN!" The new comic book reader looked up in fright and scurried out of the door.   Triple D sighed and picked up the comic the new comic book reader had been perusing. "Oh, Stephanie Brown, you harlot. What will I do with you?"

"Why don't you just get rid of all the old comics since they don't matter anymore?" I asked.

Triple D looked confused. "If I get rid of all the comics, new comic book readers wouldn't be interested in reading the new ones. Only getting rid of some of them makes far more sense." Crumpling up the comic in his hand, he said "Do you mind helping me go through these piles and straighten out some of these comics. I don't want things to be more confusing than they already are."

Tomorrow:  The Way of Bob

Written or Contributed by: BlueStreak

http://173.199.169.70/index.php/columns/idiots-guide-to-comics/15583-idiots-guide-weekly-the-quest-for-the-new-comic-book-reader-part-two.html/
Last edited by LOLtron on Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: JFusion Discussion Bot UPDATE

Advertisement

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 177 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: Idiot's Guide Weekly: The Quest for The New Comic Book R

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:45 pm

Triple D reminds me of Jude.

KarateGuy
Faster Pussycat

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Idiot's Guide Weekly: The Quest for The New Comic Book Reader, Part Two

Postby KarateGuy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:04 pm

Keep up the good work! Love the continuation!

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:08 pm

KarateGuy wrote:Keep up the good work! Love the continuation!

Thanks!

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 62 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:26 pm

WORDS CANNOT ADEQUATELY EXPRESS HOW MUCH I LIKED THE FIRST TWO PARTS OF THIS.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 62 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:30 pm

"Why don't you just get rid of all the old comics since they don't matter anymore?" I asked.

Triple D looked confused. "If I get rid of all the comics, new comic book readers wouldn't be interested in reading the new ones. Only getting rid of some of them makes far more sense."

What makes satire so effective and awesome is that while the words are surely different, you know, I know, we all know that some variant of this conversation took place. I sure as hell have said they should have wiped it all clean, but what do I know?

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand