Advertisement

Swamp Thing #1 (Plants can scream Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34372
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 43 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Swamp Thing #1 (Plants can scream Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:32 pm

Now this was good comics. I’ve never really read much Swamp Thing, only the very early Alan Moore stuff, so I was kind of nervous coming into this, would I be lost? Sucked down into a continuity swamp? Thankfully now, Scott Snyder continues to show why he’s one of the comics industry’s rising stars with probably my favourite DC #1 so far. The narration from Alec Holland is interesting, with some truly interesting insights into plant-life, the guest-appearance from Superman was strong, and the scene where those guys had their heads twisted round was creepy as fuck. Snyder is becoming a master of comic-book horror. Add to that career-best work from Yanick Paquette, and you can’t get much better. I guess I’ll need to track down some more classic Swamp Thing now, because this one has it’s roots in me.

Advertisement

MoneyMelon
User avatar
Chief Yankee Wanker
 
Posts: 26406
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:02 pm
Title: Internet Celebrity


Re: Swamp Thing #1 (Plants can scream Spoilers)

Postby MoneyMelon » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:25 pm

I'm not a big Swamp Thing guy, but Snyder has really become of of my favorites recently. I'm eagerly waiting for the trade of this.

alaska1125
User avatar
dINGO
 
Posts: 3015
Likes: 95 posts
Liked in: 101 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:22 pm


Re: Swamp Thing #1 (Plants can scream Spoilers)

Postby alaska1125 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:04 pm

Now this, friends, is a damn fine comic. Beautiful, creepy stuff.

Sromkie
User avatar
underclassman
 
Posts: 38
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:32 am


Re: Swamp Thing #1 (Plants can scream Spoilers)

Postby Sromkie » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:22 am

alaska1125 wrote:Now this, friends, is a damn fine comic. Beautiful, creepy stuff.

Agreed. After reading all of the new #1s from this week, I would put this at the top of the stack. Now I wish I had gotten two so I could send one to my brother. My LCS was out of them by the time I got home and read my copy.

Actually... aside from Action, they ran out of all of the new #1s. Stuff's going so fast!

eltopo
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 71050
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:04 am
Location: hell
Title: The greatest poster ever
Formerly: Mister Fister, Johhny Assplay,TerriG


Re: Swamp Thing #1 (Plants can scream Spoilers)

Postby eltopo » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:29 am

Punchy wrote:Now this was good comics. I’ve never really read much Swamp Thing, only the very early Alan Moore stuff, so I was kind of nervous coming into this, would I be lost? Sucked down into a continuity swamp? Thankfully now, Scott Snyder continues to show why he’s one of the comics industry’s rising stars with probably my favourite DC #1 so far. The narration from Alec Holland is interesting, with some truly interesting insights into plant-life, the guest-appearance from Superman was strong, and the scene where those guys had their heads twisted round was creepy as fuck. Snyder is becoming a master of comic-book horror. Add to that career-best work from Yanick Paquette, and you can’t get much better. I guess I’ll need to track down some more classic Swamp Thing now, because this one has it’s roots in me.

I'm looking forward to this book
Image

Amoebas
User avatar
Son of Stein
 
Posts: 19986
Likes: 149 posts
Liked in: 241 posts
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:27 pm
Location: Auburn, MA
Title: Amorphous Anomoly


Re: Swamp Thing #1 (Plants can scream Spoilers)

Postby Amoebas » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:17 pm

A very nice book indeed. Snyder really did some impressive homework on this one. Loved the new 'take' on Holland (did not see that coming). The art was superb. This one's a winner.

eltopo
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 71050
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:04 am
Location: hell
Title: The greatest poster ever
Formerly: Mister Fister, Johhny Assplay,TerriG


Re: Swamp Thing #1 (Plants can scream Spoilers)

Postby eltopo » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:54 pm

Amoebas wrote:A very nice book indeed. Snyder really did some impressive homework on this one. Loved the new 'take' on Holland (did not see that coming). The art was superb. This one's a winner.

you're a winner
Image

Zero
User avatar
Zombie Guard
 
Posts: 9209
Likes: 13 posts
Liked in: 53 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:00 am
Location: The Frozen North
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian


Re: Swamp Thing #1 (Plants can scream Spoilers)

Postby Zero » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:40 pm

Art was good, twist has promise. Looking forward to more of this please.

eltopo
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 71050
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:04 am
Location: hell
Title: The greatest poster ever
Formerly: Mister Fister, Johhny Assplay,TerriG


Re: Swamp Thing #1 (Plants can scream Spoilers)

Postby eltopo » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:55 am

read this last night I really liked it good first issue
Image

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: Swamp Thing #1 (Plants can scream Spoilers)

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:56 am

The nod to John Totleben was nice.
Image

eltopo
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 71050
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:04 am
Location: hell
Title: The greatest poster ever
Formerly: Mister Fister, Johhny Assplay,TerriG


Re: Swamp Thing #1 (Plants can scream Spoilers)

Postby eltopo » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:11 am

Yannick Paqieck (sp?)'s layouts in this book were really impressive. That guy continues to get better
Image

e_galston
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 19382
Likes: 219 posts
Liked in: 327 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:38 pm
Location: Frederick, MD
Formerly: Sitebreaker


Re: Swamp Thing #1 (Plants can scream Spoilers)

Postby e_galston » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:23 am

I really enjoyed this book. Not a big Swamp Thing fan, or Synder fan for that matter, but after meeting him last month at Baltimore Comic Con, and hearing his obvious love for the books and characters he's working on, and his plans for both books, i decided i'd try both Swamp Thing and Batman, and i'm glad i did.
Image

chap22
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 21385
Likes: 27 posts
Liked in: 133 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:08 pm
Location: Missi-by God-ssippi, a.k.a. Chapveria
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon


Re: Swamp Thing #1 (Plants can scream Spoilers)

Postby chap22 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:36 am

this is one i may try digitally once the price drops. love Snyder, but just never cared for Swampy or his stories. but since EVERYBODY seems to be loving it...
Image
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

avengingtitan
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 19364
Likes: 11 posts
Liked in: 130 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:26 am
Location: Hershey, PA


Re: Swamp Thing #1 (Plants can scream Spoilers)

Postby avengingtitan » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:04 am

I guess I'm the voice of dissent. It wasnt that good. I mean sure it showed promise and I like Snyder but his books arent as good as they were before the reboot.

I have to wonder what Superman was talking about. "The events of the past year." What events? Flashpoint, Brightest Day, Blackest Night, etc?

I cant say I ever read a lot of Swamp Thing and this doesnt really make me wanna come back for more.

I have to wonder how long until artists get sick of drawing all those lines in Superman's costume. I still dont like the collar or belt but whatever.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34372
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 43 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Re: Swamp Thing #1 (Plants can scream Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:36 am

avengingtitan wrote:I guess I'm the voice of dissent. It wasnt that good. I mean sure it showed promise and I like Snyder but his books arent as good as they were before the reboot.

I have to wonder what Superman was talking about. "The events of the past year." What events? Flashpoint, Brightest Day, Blackest Night, etc?

I cant say I ever read a lot of Swamp Thing and this doesnt really make me wanna come back for more.

I have to wonder how long until artists get sick of drawing all those lines in Superman's costume. I still dont like the collar or belt but whatever.


Based on one comic?

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], Yahoo [Bot] and 145 guests

Advertisement