Advertisement

Review Group Week #291 - Static Shock #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 347 posts
Title: Self Important

Re: Review Group Week #291 - Static Shock #1

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:38 pm

Eli Katz wrote:Criminal #4.

Should have picked Pigs #1
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Advertisement

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:07 pm

My actual review is with the 52apalooza, but my scores are roughly

Writing: 7
Art: 9

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:38 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
Should have picked Pigs #1

I've read it already.

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:49 am

Story
I thought this was a good introduction to the character for new readers unfamiliar With Static Shock. The writers did a good job of explaining how Static's powers worked and establishing his personal life. They crammed a lot of information into this first issue that it could be somewhat overwhelming. There certainly was a lot of action here as well. I enjoyed the scenes of Static chasing the man in the stolen STAR Labs suit and was surprised to see him shot by assassins. I also liked the villain Piranha at the end. I almost feel the writers should've stretched this first issue into two issues.

Art
I liked the art here. Scott McDaniel did a good job and his style here fit the tine of the book very well. All the characters looked good as did the backgrounds. I think he put a lot of detail into his panels here.

Story - 7
Art - 8
Overall - 7.5

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:39 am

Static Shock #1 - 'Recharged' - McDaniel, Rozum, Glapion and Underwood

Story - Static is one of the few DC characters I have virtually no experience. I wasn't reading DC in the 1990s so the whole Milestone thing passed me by. I watched the cartoon series, but had no idea it was based on a comic, so it freaked me the hell out when the animated Justice League showed up in the show.

I read one or two of his appearances in Teen (and Terror) Titans, but those comics pretty much all sucked, so really, this new #1 is my first experience of Static Shock. And on the basis of this issue, it's not really for me.

I mean, the issue itself was fine, Rozum and McDaniel's writing does the job of setting up who Virgil Hawkins is and what his current status quo is. But the whole book is just really generic. There's nothing here that 25 other teen superhero titles won't give you, and I'd rather read Invincible or Ultimate Spider-Man or Generation Hope than this. There's nothing new here, I may as well be reading 1970s Spider-Man titles. It's the same city, the same attitude, the same distrust from the public. Hell, I may as well be reading current Spider-Man, as Virgil and Peter Parker are working at similar companies.

There are some interesting things here, like the use of another Milestone hero, Hardware as a mentor for Static, but it's only a small detail. Rozum and McDaniel also come up with some pretty novel uses for Static's powers, such as when he tracks the bullet using UV light. The villains are forgettable, and the mystery at STAR Labs doesn't hook me. I will say that the ending of the issue is a surprise, but I doubt it will stick.

Overall, this was a competently put together comic that just wasn't for me. Maybe if I was a fan of Static from way back, this would thrill me, but as I've never read a Static book before, there was nothing here to interest me. I like teen superheroes as much as anybody, but I like them with a little more spice than this. So yeah, if you like Static, then you'll probably like this, if you don't... probably not.

Art - Scott McDaniel is a pretty polarising artist, some love his blocky style, others hate it. I myself quite like it and think the art in this issue is great. The action flows well and he manages to make quite a busy costume work.

Best Line - 'He's dead'

6/10

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 347 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:01 am

Eli Katz wrote:I've read it already.

Any good?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:09 am

I'll probably be skipping this week. Criminal is one of my Trade books.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:14 am

Eli Katz wrote:Criminal #4.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:08 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
Any good?

It has potential. But the art is weak. I had trouble reading it because of the art -- it looked amateurish.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 393 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:32 pm

Punchy wrote:

Criminal is on my pull list so I should be able to participate this week. :)

Thank you Troy for the sig

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:36 am

Static Shock #1

I've tried several times to work up a paragraph on this book and it's even more difficult than just finishing the comic was to begin with. What a sorry new debut for this character, whose co-creator passed away tragically earlier this year. This feels like a misfire on all cylinders, from writing that tediously has the character describe his actions in pseudo-science nonsense, possibly because looking at the finished artwork one can barely even guess at what is supposed to be happening during the clunky narration as Static chases Plasma Ball-Guy around his new city leading up to the "shocking" last page reveal--I'm guessing that was a hologram or something.

I can't force myself to say much else about this, one of the weakest new 52 debuts that should've been among the strongest.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:03 am

Make sure to get your reviews up by tonight if you want them to appear in the front-page article.

Hermit_Sage

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 13 posts
Title: OH Elections Commissioner
Formerly: The Middle Sage, Phenomenal Sire

Postby Hermit_Sage » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:10 am

really this group is back to be run by Punchy?

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Postby Greg » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:18 am

Honestly, I can't believe I have a new Static book in my hand. It's been so damn long and I truly hope it stays afloat. We need more books like this.

I had a lot of fun with it for sure. It wasn't one of the greatest ever, but to be back into the mind of Virgil, even explaining his next thoughts and abilities was just too awesome not to love. I'm very excited that Hardware is a part of this book. He was my favorite when McDuffie brought Milestone back into the DCU and always hoped to see more of him. I thought the explanation for his move to NYC was pretty legit and made sense. Though the one issue I have with that is: now that Virgil, a black kid with dreadlocks, moves from Dakota to NYC, no one, not even his family, would be suspicious that Static, another black kid with dreadlocks, from Dakota, is also in NYC? Or how about people back home? Virgil and Static leave Dakota the same time and so forth?

The voice of Virgil felt like a return to home and meeting up with an old friend who never lost his charm. Is it as I fully remember it when McDuffie was writing the character? Surely no, but McDaniels and Rozum do capture the overall essence of the character and I can't wait to see what they come up with as the series goes on. While in interviews, it's been said there won't be a connection to the cartoon series, but Ebon would be great to have as a foil in the comics (wink nudge to the creators if they're reading this).

Writing - 8
Art - 8
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:30 am

The Middle Sage wrote:really this group is back to be run by Punchy?

Only for a little while.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand