Advertisement

Review Group Week #292 - Criminal: TLOTI #4

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: Review Group Week #292 - Criminal: TLOTI #4

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:45 pm

Was reading it that hard?

Advertisement

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:41 am

I was disappointed by this issue. It felt rushed and disjointed. Very anticlimatic compared to the other issues. Review to come.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:47 am

Yeah, unsatisfying ending and resolutions to various conflicts all around. Surprisingly bad, with some real crime fiction no-nos you'd think Brubaker was too seasoned to fall for.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:51 am

Mike Mercury wrote:Yeah, unsatisfying ending and resolutions to various conflicts all around. Surprisingly bad, with some real crime fiction no-nos you'd think Brubaker was too seasoned to fall for.

How can a genre have 'no-nos'? Surely writers should be allowed freedom? What no-nos did he do?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:52 am

Punchy wrote:
How can a genre have 'no-nos'? Surely writers should be allowed freedom? What no-nos did he do?

Sure, the freedom to fuck up a good story.

The rest you'll have to wait for.

This is the reason I didn't want to read this issue--I was afraid it would fall short and it did. Wish I hadn't, in retrospect.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:04 am

The PI subplot was weak and went nowhere. And the explanation of the serial killing -- that it was a murder spree to cover up the motive behind one particular murder -- is overused. I have seen variations of this storyline in TV shows like Ironside. Yuck.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:12 am

Mike Mercury wrote:
Sure, the freedom to fuck up a good story.

The rest you'll have to wait for.

This is the reason I didn't want to read this issue--I was afraid it would fall short and it did. Wish I hadn't, in retrospect.

If you don't want to read a comic because it might fall short you'll end up not reading anything!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:14 am

I don't necessarily disagree with you about the ending being unsatisfying, but I just find the idea that you think there are set rules which crime stories can't break problematic.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:15 am

Eli Katz wrote:The PI subplot was weak and went nowhere. And the explanation of the serial killing -- that it was a murder spree to cover up the motive behind one particular murder -- is overused. I have seen variations of this storyline in TV shows like Ironside. Yuck.

Yup. The PI subplot felt like something written to be a primary conflict then was discarded during the process of writing the story--but in favor of what? Feels like a story that began with a beginning killing and an end where the killer gets away with it, but the middle is a muddle.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:18 am

Punchy wrote:I don't necessarily disagree with you about the ending being unsatisfying, but I just find the idea that you think there are set rules which crime stories can't break problematic.

It doesn't surprise me that you are thinking too didactically about this--when one subverts or breaks conventions of crime fiction, the result can be marvelous (when done well). This wasn't breaking or subverting conventions at all, it was falling into fairly common pitfalls. The crime genre is full of mediocre books and shoddy endings already.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:19 am

Mike Mercury wrote:
It doesn't surprise me that you are thinking too didactically about this--when one subverts or breaks conventions of crime fiction, the result can be marvelous (when done well). This wasn't breaking or subverting conventions at all, it was falling into fairly common pitfalls. The crime genre is full of mediocre books and shoddy endings already.

I think it did subvert conventions, in that Riley got away with it, that is not what I expected at all.

I'm looking forward to your review and seeing what these no-nos are!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:21 am

Punchy wrote:
I think it did subvert conventions, in that Riley got away with it, that is not what I expected at all.

I'm looking forward to your review and seeing what these no-nos are!

Hmm. The story where the killer or criminal gets away with it is one of the most basic kinds of crime stories though. Usually, like here, the reader knows the score all along and it's either told through an omniscient narrator or by the killer themselves.

And you only look forward to trying to knock my review, let's be honest.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:26 am

Mike Mercury wrote:
Hmm. The story where the killer or criminal gets away with it is one of the most basic kinds of crime stories though.

You may as well say that a story where the killer is punished is a cliche too, what is Brubaker supposed to do?

The way this story was written, it was setting up Riley for a big fall... and then it didn't happen. It subverted my expectations. Now obviously I'm not as well-read in the crime genre as you are Eli, but I do know some stuff. I do have some problems with the story, the pacing especially, but I think it was subversive and surprising.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:30 am

Punchy wrote:
You may as well say that a story where the killer is punished is a cliche too, what is Brubaker supposed to do?

Too didactic once again. You assume it's whether or not the killer gets away with it that's the problem to me. Those are just basic types of stories. There are good and bad stories representing both kinds. What is Brubaker supposed to do? Write it well either way.

Also, one can't say something is a "cliche too" if one never called anything a cliche in the first place. :roll:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:33 am

Mike Mercury wrote:
Too didactic once again. You assume it's whether or not the killer gets away with it that's the problem to me. Those are just basic types of stories. There are good and bad stories representing both kinds. What is Brubaker supposed to do? Write it well either way.

Also, one can't say something is a "cliche too" if one never called anything a cliche in the first place. :roll:

'most basic kinds of' = cliche

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand