Advertisement

Review Group Week #293 - Batman #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: Review Group Week #293 - Batman #1

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:08 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
But that's completely your fault for not reading a superb comic.

I said as much in my review. I didn't like it, but I'm sure I would have if I'd read the other issues.

Advertisement

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 210 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:26 pm

Considering how good most of the other issues of Detective were, #881 dropped the ball. it was rushed, the mixed artwork was weird and the way it was all wrapped up was contrived with Batman popping up out of nowhere in what was mostly a Jim Gordon story.

Thinking of how to review this but I'll just say that I hated the opening Arkham scene so much along with the 'Joker' reveal. That was one of the most contrived ways to sucker in a read I've ever seen. Everything else is mostly character building for this setting, but god Capullo's art goes from average to downright terrible back and forth this entire issue.

Snyder's finally slipping. I knew it was only a matter of time till he hit the same rut's that Spencer and Hickman hit in their meteoric rises from indy sensations to mainstream writers and this is it.

Hate me for saying it, but this really is the beginning of the Snydelash.

Comic_Doctor
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Tag Team

Postby Comic_Doctor » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:27 pm

I quite enjoyed Batman #1 from Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo. Like the other DCnU #1's so far, I wasn't sure what to expect going into this issue, but Snyder seems to have a good feel for writing Batman/Bruce Wayne and the Batman family. He nicely introduced us to the supporting characters, showed us a plethora of villains, and set up a solid mystery for the first arc. While there may have been too many characters to attract 'new' readers, it didn't take away from the story at all. If anything, new readers may be more curious as to who some of these cool looking villains are.

Capullo's art is probably the best I've seen from him. He's been around for a long time, and it was nice to see some cleaner work as opposed to his older work which had too many unnecessary lines. Gregs' storytelling, pacing, and facial expressions were great too.

GRADE: 8 of 10

Comic_Doctor
Motherfucker from Hell

Title: Tag Team

Postby Comic_Doctor » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:29 pm

My original plan was to pick Brilliant #1 for the Review Group, but I'm not sure of the price, or how many stores will have stock.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:22 am

I liked this a lot, and Capullo's art was a nice surprise because I didn't think I'd like it. Review coming this weekend, followed by bitching about something probably.

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Title: The greatest poster ever
Formerly: Mister Fister, Johhny Assplay,TerriG

Postby eltopo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:10 am

I read this yesterday, I thought it was incredibly meh it's not terrible but I just found it really mediocre

Daringd
Review Grouper

Postby Daringd » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:14 am

Here is part (would be the whole review but way to spoiler heavy) of my review that was for a site my buddy runs.

To put it bluntly this is EVERYTHING a Batman comic should be. Scott Snyder wrote 10 issues of Detective Comics over the past year, they were legendary. One of the greatest runs ever on the character (even if it was Dick Grayson as Bat's). Now Snyder is writing Bruce as Batman, he gets it.

I had some reservations about Greg Capullo doing the art, because I'm not crazy about his style. Even if I thought he might be a good fit for Batman. Capullo kills it on art, it looks like nothing I've ever seen him do before. He has and I hate to say this a Darwyn Cooke look to his work here. It really fit the book had a cartoon look while also fitting the tone perfectly. Of course his art would be nothing with out the inks and the absolutely amazing coloring job Fco Plascenia did. Fco's work has always been amazing on Robert Kirkman's Invincible but this was a whole new level.

9.5/10
“Who are you talking to right now? Who is it you think you see? Do you know how much I make a year? I mean even if I told you, you wouldn’t believe it. Do you know what would happen if I suddenly decided to stop going into work? A business big enough that it could be listed on the NASDAQ goes belly-up, disappears. It ceases to exist without me. No. You clearly don’t know who you’re talking to. So let me clue you in. I am not in danger Skyler I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No, I am the one who knocks!”
-Walter White

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 138 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:00 am

Daringd wrote:To put it bluntly this is EVERYTHING a Batman comic should be.

Yep, this one hit the mark.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 389 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:09 pm

Maybe its a case where my bias is showing (I've never been a big Batman fan) but I didn't enjoy this issue as much as some other people did. I found that really nothing much happened. It was all well written for what it was, but I guess it's just not my cup of tea.

The cliffhanger ending was not bad either, but it's not like the character named will actually turn out to be a murderer. It's a case where it's too obvious that things aren't as they appear and I found that that took a great deal a way from the impact.

Like I said, it's not bad, but nothing I'd personally give a really high score to either -- 6 out of 10 I guess.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:29 pm

Seeing as I have no time to visit comic shops anymore, I took advantage of DC's New day and date policy and bought this on my phone.

Total mistake.

Reading this on my phone wasn't a problem, but the comic being a total bore was. NuDC is a lot like old DC apparently. Super bland and the Todd McFarlane-lite art was underwhelming as well.

Story: 4
Art: 5
Overall: 4.5

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 344 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:21 pm

Buck Turgidson wrote:Seeing as I have no time to visit comic shops anymore, I took advantage of DC's New day and date policy and bought this on my phone.

Total mistake.

Reading this on my phone wasn't a problem, but the comic being a total bore was. NuDC is a lot like old DC apparently. Super bland and the Todd McFarlane-lite art was underwhelming as well.

Story: 4
Art: 5
Overall: 4.5

I will repeat that your jude terror imitation is poorly executed.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 344 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:24 pm

Scott Snyder may finally be starting to slip. Swamp Thing was alright but this comic is what I was afraid it was going to be. A really good Batman comic with all the familiar trappings of a pretty good batman comic but one that's been read many times before. The rope a dope of Joker and Dick was a pretty cool moment as was the new Batcave contact lens. We are introduced to a new character and well, we all know what new characters are... villains...something Snyder avoided in his original run by reintroducing Jim Gordon and you knew he was evil but not how evil. The last page reveal also very pretty awesome but it's something that can be easily resolved.

The art was fine and cartoony action packed. To his credit Snyder demonstrated that after Morrison he's the best Damian Wayne writer. So in the end I give this book....

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:58 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:The art was fine and cartoony action packed. To his credit Snyder demonstrated that after Morrison he's the best Damian Wayne writer.

I've seen some griping online about how Damian Wayne would never wear Converse.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 138 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:05 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Scott Snyder may finally be starting to slip. Swamp Thing was alright but this comic is what I was afraid it was going to be. A really good Batman comic with all the familiar trappings of a pretty good batman comic but one that's been read many times before. The rope a dope of Joker and Dick was a pretty cool moment as was the new Batcave contact lens. We are introduced to a new character and well, we all know what new characters are... villains...something Snyder avoided in his original run by reintroducing Jim Gordon and you knew he was evil but not how evil. The last page reveal also very pretty awesome but it's something that can be easily resolved.

The art was fine and cartoony action packed. To his credit Snyder demonstrated that after Morrison he's the best Damian Wayne writer. So in the end I give this book....

I thought, where you felt the old familiar, it did a great job of carrying the DCnU mission statement: bring in new readers. You might never have heard of Batman outside of the Superfriends, but this gives you pretty much everything you need to get up to speed. In issue one. And for what it's worth, I think Capullo draws a pretty badass Batman.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:38 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
I will repeat that your jude terror imitation is poorly executed.

Needs more meth, OBV.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand