Advertisement

Avengers #17 (Barnes with a "B" Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34521
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 107 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: This guy, right?


Avengers #17 (Barnes with a "B" Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:24 am

From the cover I was expecting this issue to focus heavily on Hawkeye and Spider-Woman, but it turned out to be an issue which featured the whole team, both New and adjectiveless taking on Sin in the ruins of Avengers tower. There were some great moments here, like Hawkeye firing an arrow through Sin’s neck, the New team showing up and also Protector hacking into Iron Man’s network to get his empty armours to help fight Sin. Plus the return of the Iron Patriot! OK, not really, but it was cool to see that costume again, and I wonder if it has anything to do with Norman Osborn’s upcoming return. Overall I think these Fear Itself tie-ins have been a success, Bendis tried something a little different and it mostly worked. I did like the capper at the end where Cap requested the ‘Oral History Of The Avengers’ book be dedicated to Bucky. Good stuff. Romita’s art did look a little rushed though.

Advertisement

LobsterJ
User avatar
Great Scott!!!
 
Posts: 4963
Likes: 7 posts
Liked in: 116 posts
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 4:28 pm


Re: Avengers #17 (Barnes with a "B" Spoilers)

Postby LobsterJ » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:40 am

Punchy wrote:There were some great moments here, like Hawkeye firing an arrow through Sin’s neck,


:smt011

DeadFett
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 14510
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:17 am
Location: A galaxy far, far away...
Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember


Re: Avengers #17 (Barnes with a "B" Spoilers)

Postby DeadFett » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:11 am

I really wish Bendis would do away with the interview parts of his Avengers books. I definitely expected more of Hawkeye and Spider-Woman's budding romance given the cover and what the solicit stated.
Image

Zenguru
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 12684
Likes: 5 posts
Liked in: 8 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: West-by-God-Virginia!


Re: Avengers #17 (Barnes with a "B" Spoilers)

Postby Zenguru » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:23 am

DeadFett wrote:I really wish Bendis would do away with the interview parts of his Avengers books. I definitely expected more of Hawkeye and Spider-Woman's budding romance given the cover and what the solicit stated.

I hate hate hated those fucking talking heads. Did not know what the fuck was going on in that fucking book. Bendis should stop trying to be cute or clever. He's never going to be Alan Moore. He was doing so good on Avengers for the first 12 issues. Then this fucking bobble head shit. This is why I've dropped most Marvel books from my list.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34521
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 107 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: This guy, right?


Re: Avengers #17 (Barnes with a "B" Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:08 am

Zenguru wrote:I hate hate hated those fucking talking heads. Did not know what the fuck was going on in that fucking book. Bendis should stop trying to be cute or clever. He's never going to be Alan Moore. He was doing so good on Avengers for the first 12 issues. Then this fucking bobble head shit. This is why I've dropped most Marvel books from my list.


Because one writer used talking heads in two books... you've dropped all of them?

Zenguru
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 12684
Likes: 5 posts
Liked in: 8 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: West-by-God-Virginia!


Re: Avengers #17 (Barnes with a "B" Spoilers)

Postby Zenguru » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:03 am

Punchy wrote:
Because one writer used talking heads in two books... you've dropped all of them?

Hell no! Just the ones by crappy writers. Like Bendis. But since most Marvel writers are crappy, I've dropped most of them. The only Marvel I get right now is Cap, Iron Man, and Daredevil.

Frag
User avatar
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse
 
Posts: 36331
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 70 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:25 pm
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz


Re: Avengers #17 (Barnes with a "B" Spoilers)

Postby Frag » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:08 am

I hope these interview issues are done. They've been awful. They just take away from the main story and really just shrink the issue even more.

This one was particularly annoying because of the misleading cover. I look forward to things going back to normal.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.


Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117


Image

Zenguru
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 12684
Likes: 5 posts
Liked in: 8 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: West-by-God-Virginia!


Re: Avengers #17 (Barnes with a "B" Spoilers)

Postby Zenguru » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:19 am

The President wrote:I hope these interview issues are done. They've been awful. They just take away from the main story and really just shrink the issue even more.

This one was particularly annoying because of the misleading cover.

See what I mean, Punchy? CRAPPY.

Bendis started out rather well. But then he decided to do his cutesy talking head shit. It's just plain bad.

I've been following FF. But Hickman seems to be moving away from the actual stars of the book. And now FF is continuing alongside the restart of Fantastic Four. #600 is a $7.99 issue. I am NOT buying into that. Rather drop both books. Hickman isn't crappy, but he's spreading himself thin.

I love Spider-Man. Ever since I was 6, I've been a fan. But Spider Island is the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard of. This isn't character development to me. It's stupid. I miss pre-Civil War-JMS-Spider-Man. Whatever happened to that guy?

Schism is the first decent X-Men story I've read since Brubaker shook things up. I'd love to be able to read just one X-Men book without it having to cross over with sixteen other books.

Traditionally, Cap and Daredevil haven't crossed over with any other book. And that's what I like. If Marvel decides to drown even more books in a crossover miasma, they can kiss ALL my money good bye.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34521
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 107 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: This guy, right?


Re: Avengers #17 (Barnes with a "B" Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:00 am

Zenguru wrote:See what I mean, Punchy? CRAPPY.

Bendis started out rather well. But then he decided to do his cutesy talking head shit. It's just plain bad.

I've been following FF. But Hickman seems to be moving away from the actual stars of the book. And now FF is continuing alongside the restart of Fantastic Four. #600 is a $7.99 issue. I am NOT buying into that. Rather drop both books. Hickman isn't crappy, but he's spreading himself thin.

I love Spider-Man. Ever since I was 6, I've been a fan. But Spider Island is the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard of. This isn't character development to me. It's stupid. I miss pre-Civil War-JMS-Spider-Man. Whatever happened to that guy?

Schism is the first decent X-Men story I've read since Brubaker shook things up. I'd love to be able to read just one X-Men book without it having to cross over with sixteen other books.

Traditionally, Cap and Daredevil haven't crossed over with any other book. And that's what I like. If Marvel decides to drown even more books in a crossover miasma, they can kiss ALL my money good bye.


Frag It not liking something doesn't make it crappy!

The talking heads were a device he tried out just for these tie-ins, to do something different than the normal tie-ins, and to show the 'Oral History' back-ups in the actual comic. They were an experiment, for me they worked, for others they didn't, it's not like he's going to use them in every comic he ever writes now.

fieldy snuts
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 19360
Likes: 73 posts
Liked in: 346 posts
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:34 pm
Location: The 3040
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones


Re: Avengers #17 (Barnes with a "B" Spoilers)

Postby fieldy snuts » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:24 am

The President wrote:I hope these interview issues are done. They've been awful. They just take away from the main story and really just shrink the issue even more.

This one was particularly annoying because of the misleading cover. I look forward to things going back to normal.


They are. Next is that return of HAMMER storyline and finally getting back on the Ultron plot thread from the .1 issue.
Image

Frag
User avatar
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse
 
Posts: 36331
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 70 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:25 pm
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz


Re: Avengers #17 (Barnes with a "B" Spoilers)

Postby Frag » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:15 am

Punchy wrote:
Frag It not liking something doesn't make it crappy!

The talking heads were a device he tried out just for these tie-ins, to do something different than the normal tie-ins, and to show the 'Oral History' back-ups in the actual comic. They were an experiment, for me they worked, for others they didn't, it's not like he's going to use them in every comic he ever writes now.


Well I would have to disagree with that.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.


Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117


Image

Stephen Day
User avatar
Wrasslin' Fan
 
Posts: 35948
Likes: 689 posts
Liked in: 438 posts
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:46 pm
Location: Canada
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja


Re: Avengers #17 (Barnes with a "B" Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:16 pm

I have to agree with most of you about the talking heads stuff. I normally don't mind Bendis, but that is one experiment that he tried that I found just didn't work. There were a couple of times this issue where they were doing little more than taking up space narrating what was obviously happening in the main story sections.
Image

Thank you Troy for the sig

e_galston
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 19751
Likes: 439 posts
Liked in: 712 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:38 pm
Location: Frederick, MD
Formerly: Sitebreaker


Re: Avengers #17 (Barnes with a "B" Spoilers)

Postby e_galston » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:45 pm

Zenguru wrote:See what I mean, Punchy? CRAPPY.

Bendis started out rather well. But then he decided to do his cutesy talking head shit. It's just plain bad.

I've been following FF. But Hickman seems to be moving away from the actual stars of the book. And now FF is continuing alongside the restart of Fantastic Four. #600 is a $7.99 issue. I am NOT buying into that. Rather drop both books. Hickman isn't crappy, but he's spreading himself thin.

I love Spider-Man. Ever since I was 6, I've been a fan. But Spider Island is the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard of. This isn't character development to me. It's stupid. I miss pre-Civil War-JMS-Spider-Man. Whatever happened to that guy?

Schism is the first decent X-Men story I've read since Brubaker shook things up. I'd love to be able to read just one X-Men book without it having to cross over with sixteen other books.

Traditionally, Cap and Daredevil haven't crossed over with any other book. And that's what I like. If Marvel decides to drown even more books in a crossover miasma, they can kiss ALL my money good bye.



the 7.99 is an oversized issue that is completely new material..
Image

alaska1125
User avatar
dINGO
 
Posts: 3159
Likes: 133 posts
Liked in: 150 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:22 pm


Re: Avengers #17 (Barnes with a "B" Spoilers)

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:41 pm

e_galston wrote:the 7.99 is an oversized issue that is completely new material..


Just how oversized? Eight bucks is really tough to swallow for a single issue.

Zenguru
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 12684
Likes: 5 posts
Liked in: 8 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: West-by-God-Virginia!


Re: Avengers #17 (Barnes with a "B" Spoilers)

Postby Zenguru » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:52 pm

Punchy wrote:
Frag It not liking something doesn't make it crappy!

For some it doesn't. For me, it does. And my name isn't FragIt.

Punchy wrote:The talking heads were a device he tried out just for these tie-ins,


Incorrect. He's done it for plenty other comics he's written. And badly.

Punchy wrote: to do something different than the normal tie-ins,


Because doing something that works just isn't in the Bendis method.

Punchy wrote: and to show the 'Oral History' back-ups in the actual comic.


Okay, now that's just perverted.

Punchy wrote: They were an experiment,


A failed experiment, apparently.

Punchy wrote: for me they worked, for everyone else they didn't,


I'll agree with that. :wink:

Punchy wrote: it's not like he's going to use them in every comic he ever writes now.

Of course he will. He's Bendis. Marvel's golden boy. He'll do what he wants. If he likes something he does, he'll use it to death. That's why a lot of people don't like him. Because he does things to death. Decompression, talking heads, the stupid back and forth dialogue. Like I said. Crappy.

leave a comment with facebook


Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 77 guests

Advertisement
cron