Sunday, July 24, 2016 • Morning Edition • "But first you're gonna blow me!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Person of Interest

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

avengingtitan

Rain Partier

Postby avengingtitan » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:49 am

Spidey-Man wrote:It would seem the computer would be easier able to point out perpetrators rather than victims, since the perpetrators are the ones communicating about the upcoming crime.

Actually it doesnt give any names.

The machine/program spits out a social security number to them. But it doesnt say if the person that is connected to the social is a victim or the bad guy. Just that they are about to be involved in a crime of some sort.

Spidey-Man

Postby Spidey-Man » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:54 am

avengingtitan wrote:Actually it doesnt give any names.

The machine/program spits out a social security number to them. But it doesnt say if the person that is connected to the social is a victim or the bad guy. Just that they are about to be involved in a crime of some sort.

I know that but I was thinking that, since it’s the perpetrators who do all the communicating about committing an upcoming crime, not the victims, it would be easier for the machine to figure out perpetrators And thus more likely that the number is a perpetrator..

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:37 am

You know, this is a bit of a rip-off of an old Green Hornet episode. But there, the villain was the one programing the computer.
User avatar

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:28 pm

I thought it was okay - I'll give it another couple of episodes to properly grab me. The actual case was resolved very quickly and in a particularly Hollywood way. Also, Jim Caviezel has all the charisma of a plywood wall.

I'd watch Michael Emerson in just about anything, though. Having said that, it's a bit of a shame that the proposed show with him and Terry O'Quinn as retired Black Ops guys never happened.
User avatar

misac

Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:44 pm

I liked it too but I like procedural shows.

It has some good potential to do overarching stories.
User avatar

Strict31

Rain Partier

Postby Strict31 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:58 pm

Spidey-Man wrote:I know that but I was thinking that, since it’s the perpetrators who do all the communicating about committing an upcoming crime, not the victims, it would be easier for the machine to figure out perpetrators And thus more likely that the number is a perpetrator..


Except, there are a couple problems with that, which they addressed.

All information not pertaining directly to the war on terror is discarded before it can be processed into useful intel.

Emerson's character can only retrieve SSNs without anyone noticing.

Spidey-Man

Postby Spidey-Man » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:03 pm

Strict31 wrote:
Except, there are a couple problems with that, which they addressed.

All information not pertaining directly to the war on terror is discarded before it can be processed into useful intel.

Emerson's character can only retrieve SSNs without anyone noticing.



You’re missing my point.

My point is the machine’s nonrelevant date but still a crime list would seem to be more related to perpetrators than victims.

“Let’s do this. We gotta get that motherfucker” is said in a text.

We don’t know the victim

But we sure know that this person is a perpetrator

Now, the machine picks this up. It only tells him socials. But one would think, the info would be more likely coming re: a criminal than a victim. The criminals are doing the communicating. Not the victims.

So the info being spit out would more likely be re: a perpetrator than a victim. The victim is buy text messaging “got ice cream today” , the perpetrator is texting about the crime.

Spidey-Man

Postby Spidey-Man » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:04 pm

the biggest problem with the show is Caveziel. Imagine the show with someone with Jack bauer's charisma. Caveziel. eh.
User avatar

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:09 pm

Spidey-Man wrote:the biggest problem with the show is Caveziel. Imagine the show with someone with Jack bauer's charisma. Caveziel. eh.

Yeah, I agree.
User avatar

Strict31

Rain Partier

Postby Strict31 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:34 pm

Spidey-Man wrote:

You’re missing my point.

My point is the machine’s nonrelevant date but still a crime list would seem to be more related to perpetrators than victims.

“Let’s do this. We gotta get that motherfucker” is said in a text.

We don’t know the victim

But we sure know that this person is a perpetrator

Now, the machine picks this up. It only tells him socials. But one would think, the info would be more likely coming re: a criminal than a victim. The criminals are doing the communicating. Not the victims.

So the info being spit out would more likely be re: a perpetrator than a victim. The victim is buy text messaging “got ice cream today” , the perpetrator is texting about the crime.


And you're merely being argumentative. They've already addressed this in the show. The only info he can steal without getting noticed is SSNs. And the computer is not focused on analyzing intel it gains that is not directly related to the war on terror. And any info not related to the war on terror gets discarded.

It would be nice if none of those things were true, because it would make Emerson's and Caviezel's job a lot easier.

But those things are true, Rob. And they've already addressed them.
User avatar

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:42 pm

If they had full access to the data, then yes the perp would be much easier to locate.

But instead they just get a list of random social security numbers. A majority of them would still be the perps, but a lot would be the victims too.

Statistically speaking though the computer would be able to identify the perp 100% of the time, and the victim less. So really it should have more perps than victims, but I doubt the show will go that route.
User avatar

48THRiLLS

Review Grouper

Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:17 am

Just watched the pilot episode, I liked it a lot. I didn't mind Jesus at all, thought he was pretty bad ass.

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:04 pm

The second episode was good, here's hoping the series keeps building in this direction and gives us more then just formula.
User avatar

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:13 pm

The second episode was awful, I thought. It made me give up on the show entirely.

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:34 pm

nietoperz wrote:The second episode was awful, I thought. It made me give up on the show entirely.


The character development of the two main made it work for me. Set an interesting tone.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], MikeinLA, Sarahroo, uz000 and 41 guests