Advertisement

FF #9 (Worst Snack Ever Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

FF #9 (Worst Snack Ever Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:23 pm

There were some really cool moments in this issue, like Doom owning Diablo, Bentley 23 and Val hanging out and Spider-Man’s quips about Black Bolt’s 5 wives, Maximus unleashing his madness, but really, I was at a loss here. I don’t know why everyone is fighting, why are the Reeds there? Why does Black Bolt want to fight them? What was the High Evolutionary doing? It was just confusing, and I’ve read every issue of Hickman’s Fantastic Four so far, going all the way back to Dark Reign: Fantastic Four. I’m sure someone will be along any moment to call me a moron for not understanding it, but hey, I’m not content just to look at the pretty Epting art and the big words and be impressed.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 13 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: FF #9 (Worst Snack Ever Spoilers)

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:28 pm

Apples are the worst snack ever? Has he never been afflicted by raisins? :?

pat
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby pat » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:36 pm

Mike Mercury wrote:Apples are the worst snack ever? Has he never been afflicted by raisins? :?

raisins are good...

and punchy, i'm with you, i haven't a clue what's going on, but it looks cool.
Frank, sometimes I really wish you didn't beat that cancer.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:14 pm

It's no more confusing than Journey into Mystery.

Hab

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:23 pm

habitual wrote:It's no more confusing than Journey into Mystery.

Hab

I don't read that book.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:26 pm

Punchy wrote:
I don't read that book.

You should.

Hab

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:44 pm

After several issues of just treading water, it's nice to see this title finally getting back a head of steam. While I am still very put off by the manner in which Black Bolt returned, I really enjoyed the ice cold way in which he and the rest of the Inhumans handled themselves. Moreso than most of Marvel's other storylines in recent years dealing with some epic war, the conflict here felt on scale.

And of course, Doom stole the show from just the few pages in the beginning. I truly can't wait to see where things go with him from here.

Punchy wrote:There were some really cool moments in this issue, like Doom owning Diablo, Bentley 23 and Val hanging out and Spider-Man’s quips about Black Bolt’s 5 wives, Maximus unleashing his madness, but really, I was at a loss here. I don’t know why everyone is fighting, why are the Reeds there? Why does Black Bolt want to fight them? What was the High Evolutionary doing? It was just confusing, and I’ve read every issue of Hickman’s Fantastic Four so far, going all the way back to Dark Reign: Fantastic Four. I’m sure someone will be along any moment to call me a moron for not understanding it, but hey, I’m not content just to look at the pretty Epting art and the big words and be impressed.

If I am understanding it correctly, the remaining Alternate Reeds have been cut off from their home dimensions by the Celestials, who are out to destroy them anyway. To get back, they are trying to build a machine using the High Evolutionary's technology in conjunction with tech from the Old Atlanteans, the Inhumans, and the reborn Annihilus, to either get back to their home dimensions or take out the Celestials (or both). However, doing this will destroy our Earth in the process.

I could be wrong, though. I'm not at the house at the moment and thus do not have access to my comics, but I believe that is the jist of things.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 87 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:14 pm

Just read the previous issues, Punchy. :smt102

I'm not trying to be a dick about it, though I always seem to chime in in this regard :D.. but I really, honestly don't get what is confusing about Hickman's writing in SHIELD and here, that I keep reading so many people being confused.

I really don't get it.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 13 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:24 pm

Flynn the Pirate wrote:After several issues of just treading water, it's nice to see this title finally getting back a head of steam. While I am still very put off by the manner in which Black Bolt returned, I really enjoyed the ice cold way in which he and the rest of the Inhumans handled themselves. Moreso than most of Marvel's other storylines in recent years dealing with some epic war, the conflict here felt on scale.

And of course, Doom stole the show from just the few pages in the beginning. I truly can't wait to see where things go with him from here.

If I am understanding it correctly, the remaining Alternate Reeds have been cut off from their home dimensions by the Celestials, who are out to destroy them anyway. To get back, they are trying to build a machine using the High Evolutionary's technology in conjunction with tech from the Old Atlanteans, the Inhumans, and the reborn Annihilus, to either get back to their home dimensions or take out the Celestials (or both). However, doing this will destroy our Earth in the process.

I could be wrong, though. I'm not at the house at the moment and thus do not have access to my comics, but I believe that is the jist of things.

Pretty much how things look at this point.

Holland Oats wrote:Just read the previous issues, Punchy. :smt102

I'm not trying to be a dick about it, though I always seem to chime in in this regard :D.. but I really, honestly don't get what is confusing about Hickman's writing in SHIELD and here, that I keep reading so many people being confused.

I really don't get it.

I think it may be in part at least because in many other comics, the characters pretty much give you a running narrative of what they are doing and why at any point in time. But in FF, when characters start to do that they usually trail off: "Wait, one of the Reed's is...Why didn't anyone...Dad, this may not be what we were thinking..." <--paraphrased, natch. But most of the motivations and machinations here aren't as clearly spelled out as things unfold in FF because I suspect it would make it a very crappy story if it were. But there's definitely important stuff the reader isn't supposed to be in on, that the resolution of the story may hinge on. Just like Val sort of keeps her parents in the dark a lot of the time, so does Hickman with his readers. I wouldn't so much call it "confusing" so much as "obfuscated", myself.

What I don't understand is the love for Secret Warriors, which was only ever an okay book that ended badly IMO.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand