Advertisement

Review Group Week #294 - Aquaman #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Re: Review Group Week #294 - Aquaman #1

Postby Zero » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:12 am

I'll double back and review Batman this afternoon, maybe Aquaman too but it'll mean having to get a digital copy since I already bought my comic this week.

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:22 am

Zero wrote:I'll double back and review Batman this afternoon, maybe Aquaman too but it'll mean having to get a digital copy since I already bought my comic this week.

Yeah, I should have said you can go back and review Batman, Criminal or whatever too.

I meant to go get my comics yesterday but was distracted by the unseasonably warm weather, I promise I will go today.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 49 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:34 pm

Couldn't find another thread about this,so I guess I'll just post this here.

This issue was so fanfiction-y.

I get what Johns was trying to do, but it all just came off really bad. Pretty much every scene was just a setup for the whole "Aquaman talks to fish" gag.

Everyone is aware of this joke and stigma surrounding the character. How about starting off a reboot without drawing attention to it even more? Don't even mention it.. just show the character being interesting, and build from there.

Instead, we get an issue where virtually nothing happens other than everyone poking fun at the character and him being grumpy about it.

As far as #1's go, this was shit.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 482 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:36 pm

I might offer up reviews when the trades come out.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 475 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:56 pm

Holland Oats wrote:This issue was so fanfiction-y.

Everyone is aware of this joke and stigma surrounding the character. How about starting off a reboot without drawing attention to it even more? Don't even mention it.. just show the character being interesting, and build from there.

They've done that and it equals cancellation every time because the perception of him being the Fish Talking Guy is still always there with us readers.

Instead, Johns is going to directly deal with that perception and try to change it for the better.

It's a unique approach and I for one am looking forward to watching it unfold.

And I'm so tired of the 'they're writing fanfic' bit'. Basically, everything at DC & Marvel is fanfic - the writers just get paid to do it. This lame complaint needs to go away.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:10 pm

Amoebas wrote:They've done that and it equals cancellation every time because the perception of him being the Fish Talking Guy is still always there with us readers.

Instead, Johns is going to directly deal with that perception and try to change it for the better.

It's a unique approach and I for one am looking forward to watching it unfold.

And I'm so tired of the 'they're writing fanfic' bit'. Basically, everything at DC & Marvel is fanfic - the writers just get paid to do it. This lame complaint needs to go away.

Like I said, I get what Johns is doing with it.. but for a #1, it just came off shitty. This did not make me want to keep getting the book. A #1 should be exciting and showcase the character.. not have him in a series of vignettes being mocked by people.

And I don't care if it's done in the past.. it's never been done with Geoff Johns/Ivan Reis behind the wheel.

At DC, that's basically carte blanche to do whatever you want. Geoff Johns fans will buy it regardless. Which makes it even curiouser that he'd start it off like this.

And the complaint is valid when it reads like fanfiction. I feel like Johns must've been chuckling as he was writing each scene.

"I guess you need a glass of water or something" heh.. heh.. *rimshot*

"I'll have the fish and chips".. oh, that's rich!

"You talk to fish".. "I don't talk to fish".. "Aquaman talks to fish!".. "No, I don't"...

It was all very :roll: -y

But the end showed some promise, when he was with Mera and the final page.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:33 pm

Amoebas wrote:And I'm so tired of the 'they're writing fanfic' bit'. Basically, everything at DC & Marvel is fanfic - the writers just get paid to do it. This lame complaint needs to go away.

Not always, some writers aren't superhero fans at all, like Jonathan Hickman, he said he never really read Fantastic Four before he started writing it.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 475 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:44 pm

Punchy wrote:
Not always, some writers aren't superhero fans at all, like Jonathan Hickman, he said he never really read Fantastic Four before he started writing it.

It shows. :groucho:

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:46 pm

Amoebas wrote:It shows. :groucho:

He's writing one of the best FF runs of all-time, apart from Lee/Kirby, Byrne, and Waid/Ringo. :smt038

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Roy Thomas was also better, Aquirre-Sacasa, Hickman's pretty far down the list for me and even then I wouldn't rank him until the 4 cities thing is wrapped up and can be weighed. FF:Dark Reign and several of the early books in his run were crap. Like the one where Reed bitches out scientists for half the issue, or the nu-world vacation issue.

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:55 pm

Punchy wrote:

The one comic I really miss, and I think this might be a reason why.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:41 pm

I should be reading some books Friday, I'll write words about some of the books reviewed here that happened to also order

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:03 pm

Mike Mercury wrote:Roy Thomas was also better, Aquirre-Sacasa, Hickman's pretty far down the list for me and even then I wouldn't rank him until the 4 cities thing is wrapped up and can be weighed. FF:Dark Reign and several of the early books in his run were crap. Like the one where Reed bitches out scientists for half the issue, or the nu-world vacation issue.

Aguirre-Sacasa was boring as fuck. Roy Thomas I didn't like as much.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:11 pm

Holland Oats wrote:
Aguirre-Sacasa was boring as fuck. Roy Thomas I didn't like as much.

Some of Aguirre-Sacasa maybe, but I don't remember anything as bad as those two universal inhumans issues where BB came back from...whatever he was doing....wherever he was.....somehow.....

But to each his own. I still won't judge his long-form arc until it's reached any sort of resolution. There's a lot of just treading water going on in his decompressed style in the mean time.

EDIT: Which I'll probably only read about in vague spoilers anyway, when the book splits I'll likely not bother with either one of the two.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 255 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:15 pm

Holland Oats wrote:Couldn't find another thread about this,so I guess I'll just post this here.

This issue was so fanfiction-y.

I get what Johns was trying to do, but it all just came off really bad. Pretty much every scene was just a setup for the whole "Aquaman talks to fish" gag.

Instead, we get an issue where virtually nothing happens other than everyone poking fun at the character and him being grumpy about it.

As far as #1's go, this was shit.

You missed his angry glares to show how Aquaman is such an edgy badass despite everyone making fun of him.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand