Advertisement

Review Group Week #294 - Aquaman #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 195 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Re: Review Group Week #294 - Aquaman #1

Postby nietoperz » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:26 am

I'd read Aquaman if he was written the way he is in the Brave and the Bold cartoon.

Advertisement

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 433 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:30 am

Holland Oats wrote:I don't think I ever read anything by McDuffie that was anything but mediocre.

I remember reading FF back during civil war. Everyone hated what JMS did on that run (which wasn't fantastic) but I recall thinking at the time "its really not that terrible". Then I read one issue and I decided "man I was wrong this was a horrible comic book" looked at the cover and realized that McDuffie had taken over the writing duties without me knowing it.

It just got worse from there, really a terrible comic book.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:30 am

nietoperz wrote:I'd read Aquaman if he was written the way he is in the Brave and the Bold cartoon.

me as well.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:32 am

Punchy wrote:
Eesh, I can't be bothered with that.

How is that difficult? You punch in the book's scores and it calculates both the mean and the standard deviation simultaneously. You have to punch in the numbers anyway to calculate the mean. So it requires no extra work, except reporting the SD.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:33 am

Eli Katz wrote:How is that difficult? You punch in the book's scores and it calculates both the mean and the standard deviation simultaneously. You have to punch in the numbers anyway to calculate the mean. So it requires no extra work, except reporting the SD.

How many people here do you think even understand what a standard deviation is?

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:37 am

Rockman wrote:
How many people here do you think even understand what a standard deviation is?

I dunno. Call me crazy, but I give Outhousers credit for being smart.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 41 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:44 am

Eli Katz wrote:I dunno. Call me crazy, but I give Outhousers credit for being smart.

You have to make an exception for Punchy.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:49 am

Eli Katz wrote:I dunno. Call me crazy, but I give Outhousers credit for being smart.

Being smart has nothing to do with it. It is something you may see once in highschool. And I've never seen it on any standardized test. Why would anyone retain knowledge of something they've seen once in their life and probably never used in any meaningful manner?

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 384 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:53 am

=stdev(number1,[number2]...

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:56 am

plus with such a small population how relevant would a sd be anyways? I've always understood them to have more significance as the population grows. Do you really need to know that out of 15 people the two people to go against the grain and give a good comic a low score are guitarsmashly and john snow?

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:23 pm

Rockman wrote:plus with such a small population how relevant would a sd be anyways? I've always understood them to have more significance as the population grows. Do you really need to know that out of 15 people the two people to go against the grain and give a good comic a low score are guitarsmashly and john snow?

You're right. SDs become more stable once you have a sample that exceeds 30 or so. But even a smaller sample should produce a meaningful SD. Look at last week's Batman (which tended to receive relatively high marks) versus SHIELD (which received a wide scores from 1.5 to 10). The SDs for the two books actually reflect this. And the variance provides an even clearer indication:

Batman 1
Mean: 6.975
SD: 1.68511
Variance:2.83958

SHIELD 1
Mean: 5.5
SD: 2.91548
Variance: 8.5

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:27 pm

Eli Katz wrote:You're right. SDs become more stable once you have a sample that exceeds 30 or so. But even a smaller sample should produce a meaningful SD. Look at last week's Batman (which tended to receive relatively high marks) versus SHIELD (which received a wide scores from 1.5 to 10). The SDs for the two books actually reflect this. And the variance provides an even clearer indication:

Batman 1
Mean: 6.975
SD: 1.68511
Variance:2.83958

SHIELD 1
Mean: 5.5
SD: 2.91548
Variance: 8.5

I'm a math major and I don't even remember what variance is lol.

I see the statistical analysis you can make with an SD, but I probably wouldn't ever use it myself.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:23 pm

Rockman wrote:plus with such a small population how relevant would a sd be anyways? I've always understood them to have more significance as the population grows. Do you really need to know that out of 15 people the two people to go against the grain and give a good comic a low score are guitarsmashly and john snow?

I like your avatar. Pretty funny! :lol:

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:50 pm

Aquaman 1

This was not very good. 90% of this comic is people telling Aquaman how much he sucks. I personally felt this was the chance to show how he didn't suck and let him kick some ass, instead of recognizing the fact that everyone else in their fictional world and ours, disagrees. We don't learn anything about Aquaman, or what his powers are, (I didnt know he could fly around with water tunnel things or that bullets could not hurt him.) and for a first issue, I think some of this needs to be established

Another problem I had was the fact that Aquaman makes the decision to leave Atlantis, but we never see him ruling or any shots of his kingdom? It was all "Haha Aquaman, you talk to fish what a loser." "Mera, I'm leaving Atlantis to live here with these people." WUT

Reis artwork is good. Just solid, if not slightly boring, work.

Score: 3

Mammon, Fool Breaker
Peanut

Liked in: 0 post
Title: #1 Aquafan

Postby Mammon, Fool Breaker » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:56 pm

Kerny wrote:Aquaman 1

We don't learn anything about Aquaman, or what his powers are, (I didnt know he could fly around with water tunnel things or that bullets could not hurt him.) and for a first issue, I think some of this needs to be established

Sounds like you learned at least two things about his powers?

We are also told about how he dosn't talk to fish, and why he picked that resturant, also how he can afford to buy things.

Apart for all those things we learned about Aquaman, yea you're right, we don't learn like anything about Aquaman. There wasn't even a villian plot line hinted at! What were those monster things that killed a poor working class fisherman, he was a part of the 99%... Where did they even come from anyway?

Sarcasim aside. This issue is outstanding. Johns takes years of mockery and gives it the middle finger. Aquaman was a badass... Now he is just a stright shootin' son of a gun. He fucking eats the creatures who serve him. The art and coloring are supurb. I cannot wait to see what happens when Aquaman really gets the Trench's blood flowing.

I did have one issue though. The lack of Black Manta was glaring. I know they are saving his character for a later storyline, but damn, if they are not going to tell us a thing about Aquaman, they might as well teach us about Black Manta then.

This isn't the best issue i've ever read. But it sure feels like Aquaman has the ability to produce my new favorite issue. WATCH OUT Green Lantern #50, Parallex Rebrith. Your throne is in peril.

I rank this 8/10.
'Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!'

Long live Hal Jordan, the greatest Green Lantern of them all.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand