Advertisement

Review Group Week #294 - Aquaman #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: Review Group Week #294 - Aquaman #1

Postby Punchy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:54 am

Bendis has never written Mera, and as far as I know, neither has Morrison (apart from maybe in the background in JLA), I don't know what you mean with this.

Advertisement

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:12 am

Punchy wrote:Bendis has never written Mera, and as far as I know, neither has Morrison (apart from maybe in the background in JLA), I don't know what you mean with this.

:smt011 I know you don't Punchy. I'm just razzing you. Picking on you for your enjoyment of Bendis and Morrison (two rather inferior comic book writers) compared to your obvious disdain for the great writers like Johns and Simone.

It was just friendly bantering. I keep forgetting you take all this so seriously. No harm no foul. :)

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:14 am

Always Stay Safe wrote:What does Bendis or Morrison have to do with anything?

It's when I see posts like that that I realise a lot of posters here have a massive agenda when it comes to comics. Can't get my head around it at all.

:lol: Please read the above comment. I don't have time to have agenda's over comic books though, sorry. I've got a mortgage, kids to help raise, and a job to maintain. My agenda is keeping my family safe and happy.

:)

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:19 am

Starlord wrote:

:smt011 I know you don't Punchy. I'm just razzing you. Picking on you for your enjoyment of Bendis and Morrison (two rather inferior comic book writers) compared to your obvious disdain for the great writers like Johns and Simone.

It was just friendly bantering. I keep forgetting you take all this so seriously. No harm no foul. :)

I just gave this Johns comic a 7/10! I don't hate Johns, I just find his obsession with giving superheroes daddy issues hackneyed.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:22 am

Mammon, Fool Breaker wrote:
Sounds like you learned at least two things about his powers?

We are also told about how he dosn't talk to fish, and why he picked that resturant, also how he can afford to buy things.

Apart for all those things we learned about Aquaman, yea you're right, we don't learn like anything about Aquaman. There wasn't even a villian plot line hinted at! What were those monster things that killed a poor working class fisherman, he was a part of the 99%... Where did they even come from anyway?

Sarcasim aside. This issue is outstanding. Johns takes years of mockery and gives it the middle finger. Aquaman was a badass... Now he is just a stright shootin' son of a gun. He fucking eats the creatures who serve him. The art and coloring are supurb. I cannot wait to see what happens when Aquaman really gets the Trench's blood flowing.

I did have one issue though. The lack of Black Manta was glaring. I know they are saving his character for a later storyline, but damn, if they are not going to tell us a thing about Aquaman, they might as well teach us about Black Manta then.

This isn't the best issue i've ever read. But it sure feels like Aquaman has the ability to produce my new favorite issue. WATCH OUT Green Lantern #50, Parallex Rebrith. Your throne is in peril.

I rank this 8/10.

:lol:

Ok, it showed me he can fly around on water tunnel things. Why can he do this? How can he do this? None of this is addressed. Had to make room for more fish jokes I guess.

Man-Fish that eat people is and appear on 4 pages is not telling me anything about Aquaman.

Sorry, I did not like your favorite character's re-debut or whatever dude

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 407 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:49 am

Punchy wrote:One of the first things Johns does when he starts writing Superman is to kill his Pa Kent again.

Stretching things a bit aren't you?

Johns began in Action #837 (May 2006)
Pa Kent dies in Action #869 (November 2008)

If it takes Johns 32 issues to do 'one of the first things' how long does it take him to get to a second thing? :lol:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:04 pm

Amoebas wrote:Stretching things a bit aren't you?

If it takes Johns 32 issues to do 'one of the first things' how long does it take him to get to a second thing? :lol:

You're neglecting the fact that his run was massively delayed. Pa Kent was killed in like his 3rd story arc.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:22 pm

Punchy wrote:
You're neglecting the fact that his run was massively delayed. Pa Kent was killed in like his 3rd story arc.

Wha? :smt017

May 2006 - November 2008 = 31 months
#869 - #837 = 32 issues

Yeah some issues were delayed but he still put out more issues than months. And for there to only be 'like' 3 story arcs means each arc would have had to be 10-11 issues long (they weren't).

From memory I know there was: Up Up and Away, that alien auction guy arc with those Gibbons newspaper covers, Bizarro, Bizzaro World, the Legion and finally the Brainiac ard (with plenty of other issues interspersed).

And 3 arcs or 8 or even 1 doesn't change the fact that you were way off base saying Pa's death was a 'first' thing.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 173 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:41 pm

Amoebas wrote:Stretching things a bit aren't you?

you forget, Punchy wuvs Bendis's decompression. 32 issues to get one point across IS an immediate action by comparison.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:13 pm

Amoebas wrote:Wha? :smt017

May 2006 - November 2008 = 31 months
#869 - #837 = 32 issues

Yeah some issues were delayed but he still put out more issues than months. And for there to only be 'like' 3 story arcs means each arc would have had to be 10-11 issues long (they weren't).

From memory I know there was: Up Up and Away, that alien auction guy arc with those Gibbons newspaper covers, Bizarro, Bizzaro World, the Legion and finally the Brainiac ard (with plenty of other issues interspersed).

And 3 arcs or 8 or even 1 doesn't change the fact that you were way off base saying Pa's death was a 'first' thing.

Just because it maybe wasn't one of the first things he did doesn't negate my point, he killed Pa Kent giving Superman back his daddy issues.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:27 pm

Punchy wrote:
Just because it maybe wasn't one of the first things he did doesn't negate my point, he killed Pa Kent giving Superman back his daddy issues.

yeah, b/c the whole Jor-El thing isn't an issue for him at all. moron. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:31 pm

chap22 wrote:yeah, b/c the whole Jor-El thing isn't an issue for him at all. moron. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Having 2 dead dads is more daddy issues than having 1 dead dad! You're just splitting hairs at this point, it's an undeniable fact that Johns over-uses father issues as a character trait.

Plus Johns also reintroduced Zor-El, which increased Supergirl's daddy issues.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:40 pm

Punchy wrote:

:lol: Maybe? :lol:

I've proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that it wasn't even close to being 'first' and yet you still persist in pretending it "maybe" was? Yeah, whatever you say Punch. :lol:

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:41 pm

Punchy wrote:
Having 2 dead dads is more daddy issues than having 1 dead dad! You're just splitting hairs at this point, it's an undeniable fact that Johns over-uses father issues as a character trait.

Plus Johns also reintroduced Zor-El, which increased Supergirl's daddy issues.

it's an undeniable fact that ALL comic writers use it as a character trait b/c damn near every superhero has them. it's not exclusive to Johns. that's my point.

your boy Bendis wrote DD and Ultimate Spidey. daddy issues out the wazoo. therefore, i'm saying Bendis overuses it as a character trait. IT MUST BE SO!!!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:53 pm

chap22 wrote:it's an undeniable fact that ALL comic writers use it as a character trait b/c damn near every superhero has them. it's not exclusive to Johns. that's my point.

your boy Bendis wrote DD and Ultimate Spidey. daddy issues out the wazoo. therefore, i'm saying Bendis overuses it as a character trait. IT MUST BE SO!!!

Ultimate Spider-Man has uncle issues!

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand