Advertisement

Review Group Week #294 - Aquaman #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 41 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Re: Review Group Week #294 - Aquaman #1

Postby Chris » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:54 pm

Punchy wrote:
Ultimate Spider-Man has uncle issues!

No, there were plenty of daddy issues during the clone saga.

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:11 pm

Also, there's a difference between Bendis writing characters like Daredevil and Spider-Man who have always had father issues as part of their origins, than Johns going in and retconning in dead mothers or making Hal Jordan's dad a major focus when he never was before.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 171 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:17 pm

Punchy wrote:Also, there's a difference between Bendis writing characters like Daredevil and Spider-Man who have always had father issues as part of their origins, than Johns going in and retconning in dead mothers or making Hal Jordan's dad a major focus when he never was before.

look, i probaby have a bigger problem with the whole Barry's parents thing than you do, Punch. but Hal's dad stuff has been there since before Johns, and doing it 3 times (if you even count Aquaman...it wasn't an "issue" as much as fond remembrances) out of however many books he's written is nowhere near the "thing" you're making it out to be. he didn't do it with Wally, or Hawkman, or really Courtney, etc etc.

you're just showing your anti-Johns bias.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Mammon, Fool Breaker
Peanut

Liked in: 0 post
Title: #1 Aquafan

Postby Mammon, Fool Breaker » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:18 pm

Kerny wrote:
:lol:

Ok, it showed me he can fly around on water tunnel things. Why can he do this? How can he do this? None of this is addressed. Had to make room for more fish jokes I guess.

Man-Fish that eat people is and appear on 4 pages is not telling me anything about Aquaman.

Sorry, I did not like your favorite character's re-debut or whatever dude

Apology accepted. and his abilities are like any hero and their powers. He just has them because. Just because.

Why can Aquaman "talk" to fish? What about the Human Torch, Gods rest his soul, lets him turn into flame without buring up? The same goes for all Mutants and Heroes, DC and Marvel alike.

It dosn't have to be explained, just accept it for what it is.
'Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!'

Long live Hal Jordan, the greatest Green Lantern of them all.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:41 pm

Also, Kerny, Mammon, where's your Aquaman reviews for 52apolooza? Should I just use the ones in here?

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:42 pm

I didn't see daddy issues here.

Hell, I might have preferred that to what we got. At least that shows some depth

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:46 pm

BlueStreak wrote:Also, Kerny, Mammon, where's your Aquaman reviews for 52apolooza? Should I just use the ones in here?

You can if you want

I've been meaning to ask you about that. I recall sending a Pm about doing some for the 52apolooza, but I never got a reply back and figured all the spots were filled, so if I'm one of the ones not doing it in yoni's thread, then that's why

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:50 pm

Kerny wrote:
You can if you want

I've been meaning to ask you about that. I recall sending a Pm about doing some for the 52apolooza, but I never got a reply back and figured all the spots were filled, so if I'm one of the ones not doing it in yoni's thread, then that's why

I'm sorry. I thought I contacted you back saying that I had got it.

Anyways, I'll PM you a list of what reviews I had given you. No worries. The deadline's not for another two weeks.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 41 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:50 pm

Mammon, Fool Breaker wrote:What about the Human Torch, Gods rest his soul, lets him turn into flame without buring up?

He was bombarded by cosmic rays, which altered his genetic makeup.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:58 pm

Solid first issue. Aquaman's a character that's always been unfairly criticized and mocked, mainly due to the godawful Superfriends cartoon that most morons can't let go of. Johns has set out to correct this and he's off to a good start. While not removing Aquaman's royal roots, Johns' puts it on the backburner and focuses on establishing a more "ground" level hero. Aquaman is a guy who just wants to be human in this new DC and let his kingdom figure things out for itself. It's not exactly a worthy goal considering it flies against his father's noble lessons of upholding responsibility, but Aquaman's always been flawed in this respect. Just like many of the DCnU books, this is a subtle "return to basics" of a property that's been far removed from such. The art's solid and I like the potential horror element being set up with the impending bad guys (guess fish brains aren't so underdeveloped after all)

Story: 7/10
Art: 8/10

Mammon, Fool Breaker
Peanut

Postby Mammon, Fool Breaker » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:59 pm

BlueStreak wrote:Also, Kerny, Mammon, where's your Aquaman reviews for 52apolooza? Should I just use the ones in here?

No I am writing them still.

Mammon, Fool Breaker
Peanut

Postby Mammon, Fool Breaker » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:02 pm

Holland Oats wrote:
He was bombarded by cosmic rays, which altered his genetic makeup.

Fact... Altered genes don't change that fire is a chemical reaction and would still burn his flesh as a fuel source.

Nice try buddy. Comics disregard most Physics when explaining super powers.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:39 pm

False Prophet wrote:Solid first issue. Aquaman's a character that's always been unfairly criticized and mocked, mainly due to the godawful Superfriends cartoon that most morons can't let go of. Johns has set out to correct this and he's off to a good start. While not removing Aquaman's royal roots, Johns' puts it on the backburner and focuses on establishing a more "ground" level hero. Aquaman is a guy who just wants to be human in this new DC and let his kingdom figure things out for itself. It's not exactly a worthy goal considering it flies against his father's noble lessons of upholding responsibility, but Aquaman's always been flawed in this respect. Just like many of the DCnU books, this is a subtle "return to basics" of a property that's been far removed from such. The art's solid and I like the potential horror element being set up with the impending bad guys (guess fish brains aren't so underdeveloped after all)

Story: 7/10
Art: 8/10

Well done! Very nice review.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:10 am

Aquaman #1

Ha ha. Aquaman is lame.

/Johns'd

I dunno, the tone here just didn't work for me. Aquaman is kind of a cool character in his uncoolness, but making it the focus takes the fun out of it.

Story: 4
Art: 7.5
Overall: 5.75

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand