Tuesday, May 3, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "For when you've got nowhere else to go."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!


Action Comics #2 (Noble Gas Number 36 Spoilers)

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:24 pm

Just brilliant, this is going to be a classic Superman run, I can just feel it. In this issue I felt that Morrison got the balance between living up to the title of ‘Action’ comics and telling a complete story much better than #1. The action here was exciting and propulsive, but we also got more details into Superman’s history and background, and also more insight into the characters of Lois Lane and Lex Luthor. I continue to love Superman’s new, cocky attitude, and the whole thing is just a lot more fun and fresh. I liked the old Superman, but I like this a whole lot more. It’s also interesting to see other elements of Superman lore show up, we’ve got Metallo and Steel introduced here, as well as perhaps Krypto? The artwork from Rags Morales is career-best stuff, and Brent Anderson did a great job at maintaining a similar style on his pages. At the end of this issue I immediately wanted more, and that’s pretty much the highest praise you can give a comic-book.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:53 pm

Dropped to trade-wait over issues with page count.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:14 pm

Mike Mercury wrote:Dropped to trade-wait over issues with page count.


What was wrong with the page count? Lots happened in this issue and the back-matter stuff with Morrison and Morales' commentary was pretty interesting.

Plus future issues will have back-up stories.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:33 pm

Punchy wrote:
What was wrong with the page count? Lots happened in this issue and the back-matter stuff with Morrison and Morales' commentary was pretty interesting.

Plus future issues will have back-up stories.


Well there was a lot of stuff I wanted to buy this week and the story pages seemed short for $4 so it got the cut. It's not like they're gonna sell out everywhere either because orders were so much higher for #2 after first print #1 was so hard to find.

Also, I don't always like backup stories (which this didn't even have). So $4 monthlies are always easy to drop or wait for trade to me. I gave Last of the Greats my $4 instead--did you see how many pages that book had?
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:36 pm

Mike Mercury wrote:
Well there was a lot of stuff I wanted to buy this week and the story pages seemed short for $4 so it got the cut. It's not like they're gonna sell out everywhere either because orders were so much higher for #2 after first print #1 was so hard to find.

Also, I don't always like backup stories (which this didn't even have). So $4 monthlies are always easy to drop or wait for trade to me. I gave Last of the Greats my $4 instead--did you see how many pages that book had?


Nope, but then I don't need to buy Image books :-D

Fialkov is going to be writing the Action Comics back-ups, or at least the first one of them.
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:22 pm

I haven't decided yet if Supes is acting more cocky or bratty. He came off last ish a little too much like Superboy Prime.
User avatar

The Old Doctor

A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:28 pm

I thought he was almost acting more Earth-One-ish. Even the costume (supersuit) and hair remind me of that.

I liked it. But really, more of this "A Superman that has to sweat to get the job done"? :roll:

Superman, not Sorta Superman.

Anyway, my fav bit was with the ship and saying that he'd be back to get it. Plus the cape.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:08 pm

The Nacireman wrote:I haven't decided yet if Supes is acting more cocky or bratty. He came off last ish a little too much like Superboy Prime.


He's acting like a bad-ass is what he's doing.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:12 pm

Punchy wrote:
Nope, but then I don't need to buy Image books :-D

Fialkov is going to be writing the Action Comics back-ups, or at least the first one of them.


I'd rather he get the legit sale from me than read a digital file. I've read them, in most cases the print copy looks better anyway.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:14 pm

Mike Mercury wrote:
I'd rather he get the legit sale from me than read a digital file. I've read them, in most cases the print copy looks better anyway.


I went back and bought I, Vampire #1 this week, so that should be enough for him!

Anyhoo, this thread is about Action Comics, and how it was awesome no matter what the page count!
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:22 pm

Punchy wrote:
I went back and bought I, Vampire #1 this week, so that should be enough for him!


The Image stuff though, that is creator-owned. And it's gonna get much less publicity than the DC 52. And they if I'm not mistaken gave readers 32 pages with no ads for the $4. That is so cool to me, and if Image can do that with Last of the Greats, DC shouldn't counter that with a 20-22 page $4 book with padding I'm not very interested in.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:26 pm

Mike Mercury wrote:
The Image stuff though, that is creator-owned. And it's gonna get much less publicity than the DC 52. And they if I'm not mistaken gave readers 32 pages with no ads for the $4. That is so cool to me, and if Image can do that with Last of the Greats, DC shouldn't counter that with a 20-22 page $4 book with padding I'm not very interested in.


Just because you're personally not interested in the Morrison/Morales/Ha commentary doesn't mean it wasn't worth the extra dollar, work still had to be done on it and I found it fairly illuminating myself.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:28 pm

Punchy wrote:
Just because you're personally not interested in the Morrison/Morales/Ha commentary doesn't mean it wasn't worth the extra dollar, work still had to be done on it and I found it fairly illuminating myself.


You must be dense if you don't get by now that I'm saying it wasn't worth more than 11 cents or so to me though.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:29 pm

Also, I can't remember the last time Morrison wrote anything for DC I liked anyway--All Star Superman was okay, I guess. Write some damn Seaguy, dude!
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:30 pm

Mike Mercury wrote:
You must be dense if you don't get by now that I'm saying it wasn't worth more than 11 cents or so to me though.


Yes, well luckily you don't get to decide what's worth what in the world of comics!

I'd rather read Grant Morrison's commentary on a comic than the actual comics of most writers.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: crawley, Google [Bot], Jack Burton, Johnnie Torch, mikeambrose, sdsichero, Stephen Day and 65 guests