Advertisement

Superior #5 (back in the wheelchair Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

Superior #5 (back in the wheelchair Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:14 pm

It’s great to have Superior back, it’s definitely my favourite of Mark Millar’s recent work, and that’s because it doesn’t have any of the over-the-top cynicism his other stuff does, this is instead an earnest love-letter to Superman and every issue is a joy to read. This issue continued showing what a person with Superman-esque powers would be like ‘in the real world’ and it was really fun to see Superior take down Al Quaida just like that. And then when Simon gets to live out his dreams, such as playing for the Mets against the Yankees, playing bass with his favourite band and smashing LeBron James whilst playing for the Knicks, I just had the biggest smile on my face. The stuff with the Satanic Monkey I’m not so keen in because that cynicism creeps back in, but overall this was another top-notch issue, and it was worth the wait I feel as Leinil Yu’s art has never looked better. Here’s hoping that #6 and #7 come out quickly, and that the movie continues to gather pace.

Advertisement

Dragavon
Podcaster

Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Re: Superior #5 (back in the wheelchair Spoilers)

Postby Dragavon » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:34 pm

I thought it was more Captain Marvel than Superman, but yes, it's nice to read a Millar comic without the cynicism. Hopefully he can end this well (unlike every other book he's done)

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:36 pm

Dragavon wrote:I thought it was more Captain Marvel than Superman, but yes, it's nice to read a Millar comic without the cynicism. Hopefully he can end this well (unlike every other book he's done)

The way the story is about a kid who becomes super-powered is more inspired by Captain Marvel, but Superior is clearly a Superman analogue to me, and given how big a fan of Superman Mark Millar is, I'd see it more as that.

Dragavon
Podcaster

Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Postby Dragavon » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:43 pm

Punchy wrote:
The way the story is about a kid who becomes super-powered is more inspired by Captain Marvel, but Superior is clearly a Superman analogue to me, and given how big a fan of Superman Mark Millar is, I'd see it more as that.

I've read the introduction to Wanted where he's first introduced to comics in general and Superman in particular.

So far I've loved this series. I want to get this as a trade (again depending on the last issue.)

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:25 pm

I figure the last page of the series will be some big fucking pile of cynical horseshit.

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:40 pm

While I still find the bulk of Millar's work to be nigh unreadable, this has been entertaining, even if it barely comes out.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:42 pm

Chesscub wrote:I figure the last page of the series will be some big fucking pile of cynical horseshit.

In one of his letters pages he said he wanted to avoid that and instead give it a Spielbergian/Disney movie feel.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:47 pm

I have not read any of the comments nor the review since I haven't read the book yet but if there is anything to do with a character in a back in a wheelchair that is poor form of putting that in the title of the thread.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:54 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:I have not read any of the comments nor the review since I haven't read the book yet but if there is anything to do with a character in a back in a wheelchair that is poor form of putting that in the title of the thread.

It's a line that the demonic monkey used in the book.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:56 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:I have not read any of the comments nor the review since I haven't read the book yet but if there is anything to do with a character in a back in a wheelchair that is poor form of putting that in the title of the thread.

It was a threat, not something that actually happened.

Besides, Simon uses crutches, not a wheelchair!

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand