Friday, July 1, 2016 • Morning Edition • "Be glad we're not indoors."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Disabled Superheroes

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Pito

Faster Pussycat

Postby Pito » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:50 am

Hi, everyone, I'm Pito and I'm new to the forums.

I've had this idea running around in my head for a couple of months now and wanted to see if i could get some feedbacK from others about it. You see, I'm disabled and envision an empowering comic series for our community. One of the ideas I've had is one about a kind of society in which each member, though disabled in some way, possesses a unique super-or meta-human ability. This is the general idea so far; anybody have any further suggestions?

Thanks. :D

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:26 pm

Get a top notch artist.

Good luck. :-D

Dragavon

Podcaster

Postby Dragavon » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:43 pm

Just remember to not copy any of the currently disabled heroes like Daredevil or Silhouette.

contramundi

cheese

Postby contramundi » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:30 pm

or superior..kinda lol..good idea man,share some more :D

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:17 pm

Dragavon wrote:Just remember to not copy any of the currently disabled heroes like Daredevil or Silhouette.

or: Captain Marvel Jr., Dr. Mid-Nite, Daredevil, The Chief, Oracle, Prof X, Cyborg, Risk, Wolverine, etc.

Pito

Faster Pussycat

Postby Pito » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:21 pm

contramundi wrote:or superior..kinda lol..good idea man,share some more :D

Well, I do have 1 idea for one character: she has CP and is wheelchair-bound (like myself, though I'm a dude) and able 2 absorb/channel the energy around her, usually as rays/projectiles emanating from her fists.

Dayna Morris

FACEBOOKTron

Postby Dayna Morris » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:59 pm

I had an idea for a superhero with autism whose meltdowns are so loud that they can break human eardrums

Beige Lantern

Postby Beige Lantern » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:02 pm

FBtron wrote:I had an idea for a superhero with autism whose meltdowns are so loud that they can break human eardrums

Wow... this guy just got me, of all people, to call ableism.

The Valiant title Harbinger has a paraplegic who psychically projects a brick body.

Spektre

penile prisoner

Postby Spektre » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:33 pm

Sounds interesting.

I am not sure about the entire race/environment being "disabled" though. Not saying it wouldn't; work, but a very useful literary device is being able to play off the differences of the characters. Each character could indeed have a different disability, but you would lose an angle to play out of these challenges/differences.

Perhaps a team of disabled heroes who have been shunned from other teams due to there disabilities banding together to thwart some dire threat.

Of course the most important thing is continuity.

As a person with a disability myself, I wish you luck.

Spektre

penile prisoner

Postby Spektre » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:34 pm

Pito wrote:Well, I do have 1 idea for one character: she has CP and is wheelchair-bound (like myself, though I'm a dude) and able 2 absorb/channel the energy around her, usually as rays/projectiles emanating from her fists.

When I scanned that the first time I read it as "...rays/projectiles emanating from her tits."

I guarantee you if you make this change, you will get more comments here.

littlenando

A Quagmire

Postby littlenando » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:44 pm

I love the idea, and actually I had a similar idea on my head. But not for super heroes. So... don't worry, I won't make anything similar :)

bhsfx

Whippersnapper

Postby bhsfx » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:04 am

This could be a good concept to follow through with.

leave a comment with facebook