Advertisement

Review Group Week #296 - Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #3

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 1 post
Title: The greatest poster ever
Formerly: Mister Fister, Johhny Assplay,TerriG

Re: Review Group Week #296 - Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #3

Postby eltopo » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:04 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
I'm racist.

I know that game!

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 105 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:57 pm

LobsterJ wrote:can i score it without being in the review group or reading the comic?

story: 0
art: 10+

No, you can't.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:06 pm

I might try and re read this some time later. But good lord Bendis needs to give it a rest with the teenagers talking. This is getting out of hand. Like I said I'll try and reread this before scoring it. Fuck I wont, this issue is dumb. The whole unmasked saving lives is total bullshit. Ultimate Spiderman has never been all that good. Looking back on the 30+ issues I read and followed, I feel dumb for having done so for so long. Actually I feel that way pretty much any of Bendis' work The art here is serviceable but also just sort of flat an unenjoyable. So in closing. This comic sucks and is a reminder why I only have 4 comics on my pull list.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Alchemic_Spider

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby Alchemic_Spider » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:02 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:I might try and re read this some time later. But good lord Bendis needs to give it a rest with the teenagers talking. This is getting out of hand. Like I said I'll try and reread this before scoring it. Fuck I wont, this issue is dumb. The whole unmasked saving lives is total bullshit. Ultimate Spiderman has never been all that good. Looking back on the 30+ issues I read and followed, I feel dumb for having done so for so long. Actually I feel that way pretty much any of Bendis' work The art here is serviceable but also just sort of flat an unenjoyable. So in closing. This comic sucks and is a reminder why I only have 4 comics on my pull list.

Dude...Ultimate Spidey has been one of the best comicbooks of this century. I admit I pasted it up during the ultimatum fiasco but only because I felt that really messed up the ultimate universe for no reason.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:13 pm

Alchemic_Spider wrote:

Dude...Ultimate Spidey has been one of the best comicbooks of this century. I admit I pasted it up during the ultimatum fiasco but only because I felt that really messed up the ultimate universe for no reason.

Ultimate Venom made the entire book awful. It's when I truly realized how dumb and decompressed this book was. And then I got roped into carnage...even worse.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

Alchemic_Spider

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby Alchemic_Spider » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:26 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
Ultimate Venom made the entire book awful. It's when I truly realized how dumb and decompressed this book was. And then I got roped into carnage...even worse.

Those arcs were great, imo. Really set the stage for a great clone saga.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:14 am

Alchemic_Spider wrote:

Those arcs were great, imo. Really set the stage for a great clone saga.

No they were too long and had no bearing on anything. They were worse than Spiderman 3.

- Les Paul

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 343 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:25 am

guitarsmashley wrote:
No they were too long and had no bearing on anything. They were worse than Spiderman 3.

Hacked by LobsterJ IMO

Punchy
Staff Writer

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:35 am

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #3 - Untitled - Bendis, Pichelli and Ponsor

Story - Ultimate Peter Parker is dead. A character many of us have followed and empathised with for 10 years is dead, and he's been replaced by some random new kid nobody has ever heard of. Who the hell cares about Miles Morales?

This is the problem Brian Michael Bendis is facing writing the adventures of the new Ultimate Spider-Man. Peter Parker is a beloved icon, whereas Miles is a total unknown, he has to make us like Miles as much as we liked Peter. It's a tough job, but I personally feel he's succeeding. He's taking a fairly slow pace and showing how Miles is both similar and different to Peter.

I've noticed some readers have a problem with the slow pace to this origin arc, Miles has not got a costume yet, he's not done much at all, but this is necessary. Ultimate Peter Parker's origins were slow, it took 7 issues to tell what Stan Lee and Steve Ditko managed in 15 pages. This meant that we knew Peter a lot better, we knew and cared about Uncle Ben before he got shot, it was a more immersive and effective experience. The same thing is being done with Miles. Not only are we getting an insight into Miles' nature and character without the distraction of having him fight the Jack O'Lantern, but we're seeing his family and friends in greater detail too. This issue focuses on Miles and his best friend (and the only person who knows about his new Spidery powers) Ganke, as they try and work out what exactly has happened to Miles. This leads to a highly enjoyable conversation between the two, including a discussion about Ganke's favourite topic, Lego. Ganke is a really fun character and a great foil for the more cautious and quiet Miles, let's just hope he doesn't become a super-villain like Peter Parker's best friend Harry Osborn.

We then get the book's first major action sequence, as Miles rescues some people from a burning villain. This is classic Spider-Man stuff, iconic Spider-Manning, but Bendis makes it clear that Miles' attitude towards this is not the same as Peter Parker's, he's not cracking wise, he takes this a little more seriously, and at the end, decides he can't do it anymore, he's going to leave it to the 'real' Spider-Man.

But of course the real Spider-Man is going to die soon.

Bendis also sets up Miles' new home and status quo, rather than living with his Aunt, he's attending some kind of weird alternative boarding school. This is a cool idea, it's certainly going to be harder for Miles to go out on superhero patrols if he's under the scrutiny of a boarding school.

Miles is sleeping in this school on the night Peter Parker is killed, and it's this bit that intrigues me the most. In what I thought at first was a dream sequence, Miles sees Electro shouting 'die Spider-Man' and electrocuting him. At first glance this is just Miles' anxiety about being bitten by a Spider, but then you think back to the 'Death Of Spider-Man' arc. Electro was present at Peter's final battle. Is Miles seeing what Peter's seeing? Is this some kind of link between their Spider-Senses? We've already seen that Miles has some powers that Peter didn't, such as camouflage and shock powers, and I think this is another example. Bendis shows us this, rather than tells us, and it's very effective indeed.

This issue ends with Miles and Ganke finding out that Spider-Man has been shot, and it's a great cliffhanger to a great issue. Yes, the book is slow, but Ultimate Spider-Man has always moved at it's own pace, yes, we're all impatient to see what Miles can do as Spider-Man, but it's worth it to see him just be him first, so we know him as a character. After 3 issues I already like Miles a lot, and can't wait to see what's coming for the character. He's not Peter Parker, he's his own character, and he's great.

Art - Sara Pichelli has been hovering around the world of Ultimate Spider-Man for a while now, he illustrated a few issues of the last arc, including a great arc involving Mysterio and Black Cat fighting over the Zodica Key, her work was solid then, but with this new relaunch, it's taken a leap to the next level. This stuff is just awesome, it's like a cross between Stuart Immonen and David LaFuente, which is obviously perfect for Ultimate Spider-Man. It manages to be both realistic and cartoony at the same time, and you can read a lot from the facial expressions she draws. It's just excellent, and I can't wait to see her cut loose when Miles is Spider-Man properly, swinging around town, getting into fights.

Best Line - 'Spider-Man has been shot'

8/10

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:46 am

Oh, and Royal Nonesuch has picked HP Lovecraft's The Dunwich Horror #1 for next week.

He's going to be Amber Atomsed isn't he?

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:34 am

I'll review it! Maybe.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 438 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:47 pm

Punchy wrote:Oh, and Royal Nonesuch has picked HP Lovecraft's The Dunwich Horror #1 for next week.

He's going to be Amber Atomsed isn't he?

I think there's little chance that my LCS is going to have this. :(

Thank you Troy for the sig

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:01 am

Story
I found this issue to be just like the last one. Slow and boring. I realize this newest incarnation of Spider-Man is starting just like the other one but at $4 an issue I wish Bendis would pick up the pace. The writing isn't bad but I would prefer to see Miles as Spider-Man at this point. The dialogue was good, as it usually is with Bendis, but I'm starting to doubt the man can write good action. Even his Avengers books have been heavy on the talking head side, literally, with the "interview" sessions those books feature. I'm going to keep reading because I'm hoping the wait will be worth it. I just wish it would get here before issue seven.

Art
I like the art here. I feel it fits the tone of the book well. Reminds of Lafuente's work but not as cartoony. I'm looking forward to seeing how Pichelli's Spider-Man scenes look because I really love the look of the new suit.

Story - 5
Art - 8
Overall - 6.5

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:49 am

Only 2 reviews? Come on people, this is ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext