Advertisement

The Shade #1 Discussion

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 72 posts

The Shade #1 Discussion

Postby MrBlack » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:01 am

The Shade #1 Discussion

See what Outhousers are saying about DC's The Shade #1!

Here's what Outhouser Mr. Black has to say about The Shade #1!  Do you have an opinion?  Feel free to share it on the forum!

Ever since James Robinson concluded his epic Starman series in 2001, fans have been clamoring to know the secret to that series’ oldest mystery: The origin of the Shade. Years later, Robinson is back to finally answer that question in a 12 issue maxiseries, with the first issue dropping today.

Robinson’s output since his return to comics has been...uneven to say the least. His return to Opal City in Starman #81, a Blackest Night tie-in, was the strongest work he has delivered in years, but it still begged the question of whether Robinson still has what it takes to deliver a compelling tale about the shadowy, shadowy Mr. Richard Swift.

The Shade #1 answers that question with a resounding "maybe." The beats are all correct, and the characters are on model, but the dialogue between the Shade and Mikaal is a bit stiff at the outset. Things improve as the issue goes on, so I suppose Robinson is just hitting his stride. We shall have to see as the series progresses.

The story itself is intriguing. The Shade references October as "the month of my creation" early on, although he is reticent to say more. Some action follows with William Von Hammer, from Robinson’s Action Comics run, who bears a warning for the Shade. Whether or not Von Hammer will be able to deliver that warning is left up in the air by the issue’s somewhat surprising conclusion following the Shade’s confrontation with Deathstroke.

Cully Hamner’s art is excellent, as always. He captures the characters well, although his brighter, more cartoony style is a bit at odds with the character he is drawing. Still, I’m never one to say no to a Cully Hamner book.

For the continuity obsessed, this does seem to take place in the new DC Universe, if Deathstroke’s costume is any indication. As to the current state of Starman in the DCU, it appears that the character still has a legacy in some form or another if the Shade’s comment to Mikaal about "reclaiming the mantle of Starman" is any indication. Mikaal references the death of his lover, Tony, from Robinson’s Justice League: Cry for Justice as well, so it appears that has survived Flashpoint to some degree as well, for better or worse.

So, is this worth the price of admission? I certainly think so. Aside from some very small missteps with the dialogue, Robinson’s writing was generally sharp, and the Shade still feels like the Shade. The mystery of the Shade’s origin is enough to pull me in, and the budding mystery that Robinson is building in the present day shows promise as well. For Starman fans, this is a must buy; for non-fans, it is definitely worth checking out.

Written or Contributed by: Mr. Black

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/features/202-forum-discussions/16595-the-shade-1-discussion.html/
Last edited by MrBlack on Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: JFusion Discussion Bot UPDATE

Advertisement

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 169 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Re: The Shade #1 Discussion

Postby Zechs » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:03 pm

The comic was good until Deathstroke appeared in the book for me and pulled a Batman. Then again I cannot wait until the next issue to see Richard pound Slade a new one. Also Hammer's art reminded me of Trevor McCarthy.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:40 pm

Zechs wrote:The comic was good until Deathstroke appeared in the book for me and pulled a Batman. Then again I cannot wait until the next issue to see Richard pound Slade a new one. Also Hammer's art reminded me of Trevor McCarthy.

Seeing as the Shade got his heart ripped out during Blackest Night, which slowed him down all of five seconds, I imagine Deathstroke is going to have some problems next issue.

Either that, or the Shade will simply follow him back to his employer once Deathstroke thinks the deed is done.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 169 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:19 pm

MrBlack wrote:Seeing as the Shade got his heart ripped out during Blackest Night, which slowed him down all of five seconds, I imagine Deathstroke is going to have some problems next issue.

Either that, or the Shade will simply follow him back to his employer once Deathstroke thinks the deed is done.

I wonder though if Kyle Higgins knew about Slade showing up here though?

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 754 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:33 pm

I enjoyed the issue. I was glad to see that Robinson is continuing to develop and expand Hope and Shade's relationship. Its also wonderful to know that the Shade will continue down his path of reluctant hero, however, I am a little disappointed that this issue takes place inside of the DCnU. I was really hoping that this series would somehow either take place in the old DCU or be an early preview to Earth 2. Oh well, like I said, I enjoyed this issue and I really can't wait for the second issue.
ImageImageImage

m0d0k
Bron-Yur Stomper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Designed Only for Killing
Formerly: I am MODOK

Postby m0d0k » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:32 am

Hmm. Stronger reviews than I expected.

So this is clearly stronger than Robinson's JLA work?
At least one review a day! http://comicperday.blogspot.com/

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:37 am

m0d0k wrote:Hmm. Stronger reviews than I expected.

So this is clearly stronger than Robinson's JLA work?

It's a bit early to say for sure, but it's looking good so far.

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:22 pm

Having not read much of Robinson's Starman run (I read the first couple of story arcs and thought it was boring) and unfamiliar with a lot of what was done with The Shade, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this issue.

It wasn't the best thing I read this week... or even the next-to-best thing, but it was a solid read and I'm curious to see what happens in the next issue.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 52 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:07 am

Despite not being the title character of James Robinson’s Starman, the Shade is probably the best character from that book, as much as I love Jack Knight, he’s not as unique as Dickie Swift, the nefarious villain turned hero turned anti-hero turned anti-villain turned I don’t know what. It’s great that Robinson is returning to the character, and it looks like this is also a return to form for the writer. Whilst this wasn’t quite as good as Starman, it was very good, and Shade is just as great a character as ever. We revisit the Shade picking up from the Blackest Night issue of Starman, with him dating Hope O’Dare, and the scene between the two was very interesting, we’re seeing a Shade who is not as confident as usual, add to that his melancholy due to it being October, and it’s clear he needs to rediscover his mojo. Although it’s kind of hard to do that without a head. The ending to this issue was a great surprise, obviously Shade isn’t dead, but it’s a great set-up for a 12-issue series. One thing that struck me about this issue was that it’s clearly set in the New 52 DC Universe, rather than the mooted Earth-2, because Animal Man is mentioned and Deathstroke shows up in his new costume. How does this square with the history of Starman which is kind of dependent on the existence of a JSA and a superhero history stretching back into the past a lot further than 5 years. I don’t normally worry about continuity stuff like this, but it’s gnawing at the back of my brain. Oh, and Cully Hamner’s art was great.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 339 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:29 pm

I didn't read Robinson's Starman regularly, but I'm aware of it enough to know that I'd enjoy this. I'd say it was the best thing I read this week.

Thank you Troy for the sig

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 127 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:56 am

I don't know. I read Starman from beginning to end and loved it. This, though...I didn't hate it? That's about all I can muster from this issue, though I'll grudgingly go in for the next as I've got to see the follow-up to the cliffhanger ending.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 52 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:56 pm

WHY HAVEN'T YOU PEOPLE READ STARMAN?

GO GET THE HARDBACKS, NOW.

ThatGuyRoman
dINGO

Title: That Guy, Roman.

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:06 pm

I think I would have liked this more with a different artist. The art didn't suit this book at all to me.

On like 40 other books, it would have been nice, but on a book about the Shade? No.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 127 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:08 pm

ThatGuyRoman wrote:I think I would have liked this more with a different artist. The art didn't suit this book at all to me.

On like 40 other books, it would have been nice, but on a book about the Shade? No.

My thoughts exactly.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand