Advertisement

So Fear Itself is finally over (FI #7 spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 359 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

So Fear Itself is finally over (FI #7 spoilers)

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:25 pm

Great story, horrible pacing throughout with how some stuff was dwelled on for too long while other stuff was done so fast.

Basically what happened is:

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
- Cap's militia holds the line as the Serpent advances towards the World Tree.
- Stark hands over the Asgardian Weapons to the Mighty and they start beating up the worthy and various no-name henchmen in rapid-fire panels
- The serpent turns into what I assumed was the Midgard Serpent but later I noticed dragon-like wings and arms on it. Fights Thor who gets separated from his armor.
- Cap picks up Thor's hammer (Genuinely a cool page) and beats up Sin with it.
- Odin's army starts invading Earth thinking that the heroes will fail
- As Odin arrives...Without his hammer, Thor literally slays the Dragon/Serpent with Odin's sword.
- When Thor kills the Serpent, the Worthy's hammers fly up int the air like they're going to scatter until Odin brings them down with his deus ex machina control of the hammers.
- Thor stumbles away from the Serpents now-human looking corpse before dropping dead.
- Avengers build a funeral pyre for Thor, Odin isn't present.
- Odin transports his brothers body to Asgard where he says his role is to be his "Brothers Keeper. And we finally learn the Serpents actual name: Cul
- Odin also apparently sealed off Asgard to a bunch, maybe all the Asgadrians leaving them stranded on Earth.
- The dwarves repaired Cap's shield and reinforced it with Uru but it's still got the scar's of being shattered. Tony offers to buff them out but Cap says he prefers it like this.
- Finally, obligatory Cap motivation speech about rebuilding Asgard, Manhattan and the world and how the Avengers will live to fight on.
- Last pages, some no-name dick from Broxton who was a selfish bastard earlier in the series offers to help his neighbor with his lawn apparently inspired to overcome his fear and look forward to a better tomorrow or some other hippie shit like that.

Epilogues aka ad's for new series spinning out of this:
- The Fearless: A now-human Sin was rescued by followers to help them find the hammers
- Aaron's Hulk book: Hulk has somehow forced himself to split with Banner
- Battle Scars: A new character Marine, Marcus Johnston (possibly Wingman), is apparently the holder of a big MU secret that some Russians killed his mother over and are now hunting him for. Spymaster (think it was him) discovered this secret for them and was killed of in a flashback panel via a bullet to the head. Taskmaster, Paladin and Deadpool have been hired to bring him in along with 2 others who I have no idea who they were
- Defenders: Nul, breaker of world who posessed the Hulk is now free after the Hulk resisted his control and destroyed his hammer. Hulk turns to Doctor Strange for help.

Advertisement

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Re: So Fear Itself is finally over (FI #7 spoilers)

Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:03 pm

I liked this fine. Most of these event books never exceed the hype but this had some awesome moments (like Cap picking up Mjolnir and yelling Avengers Assemble!).
My main complaint is that this seemed to end abruptly and I feel like I should be waiting for an 8th issue even after all the epilogues.
I give this event a 7 out of 10.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1499 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:46 pm

I feel as though throughout this entire event I was waiting for Cap to get his hands on Mjolnir and avenge Bucky. What I got felt way, way too short. In fact, almost everything in this issue felt rushed. We have known about the "Mighty" for months now and it all culminated in a few short panels. :smt102

The issue was enjoyable enough but it felt like it was the next to last issue of the series, rather than the conclusion.
ImageImageImage

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:35 pm

Thor's already dead? How long was that return? 5 years?

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 10 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:50 am

Wow that sounds.....underwhelming. I bought 1-4 for $1 each and I think I overpaid.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 659 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:03 am

Beautiful art in a craptastic story.

We've known about the Mighty for ages and that was it - a few pages? Talk about anti-climatic.
Cap uses Thor's hammer - this would have been cool if he hadn't already done it (and nothing will ever top Superman holding it).
Thor's dead - this has been discussed for quite a while too.

Everything else was just... not good.

Cap's suicide run to open the book was poorly out of character. He was out there fighting gods with a pea shooter. Even if he was trying to buy time for the others, those efforts were utterly useless and doomed to fail. It gained nothing - hence suicide.

What incredible luck that the heroes and Wolverine just happened to be the groups perfectly geared for the weapons made. What if Hawkeye or Strange died - Tony's toys would be a bit useless wouldn't they? And in the end, with the exception of Thor's sword, what good were the Mighty? Sure Hawkeye's let's him never miss but he does that anyway. What did Spideytron's weapon do? And I laughed out loud at Iron Fisttron's 'Chain Fighter Bust-a-Move #9a-6G.2'. :lol:

Now I can't stand Wolverine in the slightest - but what's his deal against Cap? His 'the hell with him' bit makes no sense.

Odin closes off Asgard space in one panel and in the next Stark gets to visit Sfartelfeim? :smt017

I also love how they intersperse the story with all these televised scenes of fire fighters and rescue efforts finally starting up and how Joe Public finally begins to lift himself up. Very inspirational - until you notice that TV reporters have been working the whole time, as have their camermen, the guys in the truck, the people working sat the station, the workers at the electrical plants pumping the juice for the story to go out, etc etc etc. So basically what these scenes are saying is that it's the firemen and other rescuers that had been cowering in fear with everyone else getting along well enough to go to work. :roll:

What happened to the 'worthy'? Did they just got to leave (as two Hulk epilogues indicate) or were they taken in (the Sin epilogue)?
And Mjolnir? They're going to burn it and be done with it? We just saw Cap can use it so why not give it to him?

And the epilogues?

:shock: ONE WEEK (Marvel time) and Sin is already free? What the fuck?
Hulk wants to be left alone - gotcha.
Hulk goes to the Manhattan, the most populated city in America - don't gotcha.

I'm beginning to think it's not Event Fatigue that's the problem - it's the Events themselves.

Beautiful art though.

Apache Chef
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Apache Chef » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:20 am

I read the whole main book last night. It seemed like I was skipping pages. The book was just an outline with the content taking place somewhere else.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:27 am

Apache Chef wrote:I read the whole main book last night. It seemed like I was skipping pages. The book was just an outline with the content taking place somewhere else.

yeah, that was my biggest problem with it too.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

MistaT
penile prisoner

Liked in: 12 posts
Title: ThreadKilla

Postby MistaT » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:34 am

Complete & utter crap. :smt011

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 733 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:48 am

Amoebas wrote:

Odin closes off Asgard space in one panel and in the next Stark gets to visit Sfartelfeim? :smt017

Asgard and Sfartelfeim I believe are two different realms. remember its the 9 realms Odin rules Asgard. Sfartelfeim i believe is like Midgard.

Apache Chef
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Apache Chef » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:52 am

Also, what kind of weapon did they give Wolverine? He already had claws.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 108 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:01 am

Sounds like I did myself a solid by skipping this.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 127 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:04 am

Apache Chef wrote:Also, what kind of weapon did they give Wolverine? He already had claws.

He got a suit covered in some kind of spikes?

Honestly, the Mighty concept would have worked better if it was actually given more depth. They get the suits, they fight in them mostly off panel, the Mighty weapons are thrown back into the vat at the end of the fight. Kinda useless.

Amoebas wrote:What incredible luck that the heroes and Wolverine just happened to be the groups perfectly geared for the weapons made. What if Hawkeye or Strange died - Tony's toys would be a bit useless wouldn't they?

I'm still trying to figure out how Red She-Hulk got there since she wasn't with the group last issue. It seems like that group changes by the panel, though so maybe it wasn't really that planned out. I'm still trying to figure out why Tony would make a weapon for her or why she would have even been on his mind. I can understand most of the rest but Red She-Hulk just leaves me scratching my head. Last we saw, she was in Brazil and I don't remember her ever even registering on Iron Man's radar.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:24 pm

This is one big-ass comic book, nice and thick. It was also highly enjoyable. Yes it was basically one massive fight-scene but it was a good fight-scene, and it was wonderfully drawn by Stuart Immonen who is just fucking brilliant. Fraction also packs plenty of cool moments here, especially Captain America using Thor’s hammer to lay the smack down on Sin. Somebody other than Thor picking up Mjolnir is up there with Black Bolt speaking for me in terms of things that are always awesome, and this didn’t disappointed. I also really liked how Fraction showed humanity fighting back against the fear that had gripped it, that there is always hope. I felt at times that Fractions attempts to tie the crazy Hammer-based action in with real-world parallels and issues didn’t really work, but it was a noble effort and something which sets the book apart from just being an event for the sake of it. Overall I enjoyed Fear Itself, it was much better than Flashpoint at any rate. The various epilogues were decent too, I was already planning on buying Incredible Hulk and Defenders, but the Battle Scars preview intrigued me as well, I may have to check that one out. Oh yeah, and no way is Thor dead for real, he’ll be back before we know it.

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 70 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:15 pm

I really liked it.

I know that the cardinal sin of events (telling crucial plot points in other books) happened, but I really enjoyed it. The final battle was better than having a Bendis-like exposition about what's happening.

My only other minor problem was not getting to see Cap pummel Sin.

Still, it was a solid event. Best one in a long time (that's why Bendis shouldn't write them).
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand