Advertisement

Avengers #18 (Goliath died of a broken heart Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

Avengers #18 (Goliath died of a broken heart Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:28 pm

I think Norman’s plans from last week’s New Avengers have become a little clearer now, he’s gathering genetic material from superhumans, and he has help from a SHIELD forensics expert, who became disillusioned with superheroes due to what happened in Civil War and Secret Invasion and other recent events. I’m not sure we needed to see all of these flashbacks, but it was cool to see these events re-imagined by Daniel Acuna and the dialogue between the various SHIELD agents was Bendis at his best. Then there’s the stuff that’s going on with the actual Avengers, what with the Avengers Tower destroyed, the Avengers Mansion is going to be full, and there’s a question over whether they should rebuild the Tower or not. Bendis ties this in with the question over rebuilding the World Trade Center, and he tackles it well I feel. There’s also the personal impact, Ben Grimm is distraught over his actions when he was possessed, and there’s all sorts of Hawkeye lady drama. This was mainly a set-up issue, and we don’t even get to see who the new Avengers are going to be, but it was solid, and I think Acuna will have proved some of his doubters wrong here, as his art looked better than ever.

Advertisement

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 14 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Re: Avengers #18 (Goliath died of a broken heart Spoilers)

Postby chap22 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:45 pm

possibly the dullest comic i've read in a long time. even by Bendis standards. dear God, this was a waste of money.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Vic Vega
Rorshach Test Subject

Postby Vic Vega » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:49 pm

chap22 wrote:possibly the dullest comic i've read in a long time. even by Bendis standards. dear God, this was a waste of money.

'Sup chap? :-D

You KNOW its bad when the high point of the story is a threatened knife fight between Wong and Jarvis.
Dogs gotta bark, grass gotta grow and and titties gotta bounce.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:00 pm

Vic Vega wrote:

'Sup chap? :-D

You KNOW its bad when the high point of the story is a threatened knife fight between Wong and Jarvis.

i hated that scene. Jarvis shoulda whooped his candy-ass with his umbrella. F U, Wong. :smt013

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1 post
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:28 pm

I was really torn on this issue. I really enjoyed moments like Cap explaining why they have to rebuild Avengers Tower and why not rebuilding the World Trade Centers was/is a mistake. I also really enjoyed Ben's emotional moment simply ending with "it's been a bad year."

On the other hand, this new former S.H.I.E.L.D agent is already just as annoying as all the other new characters that Marvel has been introducing like Maria Hill, the mom from Civil War, and Victoria Hand. All these terrible characters who upon the moment of their introduction have some huge chip on their shoulders and are calling for the superheroes heads on a silver platter. Interestingly enough, aside from the mom in Civil War, they are all former S.H.I.E.L.D agents.

Aside from that, I am still not a fan of Acuna's art. I am trying to give it a fair chance but I hate most of the expressions that he gives people. For example, the aforementioned new former S.H.I.E.L.D agent. The expressions on her face reminded me of a hipster who only hates everything because everybody else likes it. Now all I can think of is "great, the next big threat the Avengers will face will be from a hipster girl's rage against mainstream superheroes."

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:13 pm

Thought this was a great ish. Never been much of a fan of Acuna but I thought this looked impressive.

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:38 pm

Snooze.

The end of the issue was the only thing I was looking forward to.

And I hate Luke Cage. Please kill him off Marvel. What a terrible character that has been shoehorned into places he doesn't belong. Leader of the Avengers? Leader of the Thunderbolts? Why? What is on his resume that would make him good at either of those things?

If they wanted a black character in the Avengers so badly, the Black Panther would have been perfect. I could buy him as leader of the Avengers and Thunderbolts. Same thing goes with Photon. Storm is a good one too.

Luke shouldn't even be the leader of Power Man and Iron Fist.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:40 pm

The President wrote:Luke shouldn't even be the leader of Power Man and Iron Fist.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:44 pm

And another thing, I don't mind that Luke and Jessica don't have costumes, but do they have to fight in jeans? Who are they, John Cena?

When you go play sports or to the gym Ms. Jones, do you always wear a wife beater, jeans and heels? Wear some shorts or track pants or even armor. The casual look doesn't look right when you're fighting the Absorbing Man? Dry humping hurts in jeans, imagine getting hit by a wrecking ball! Ugh.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand