Advertisement

Review Group Week #297 - HP Lovecrafts The Dunwich Horror #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

Re: Review Group Week #297 - HP Lovecrafts The Dunwich Horro

Postby Punchy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:57 am

The list for next week is up, there's a couple of interesting Marvel #1s

Advertisement

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:44 pm

This book was not in my LCS.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:46 pm

So Amber Atoms huh?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:22 pm

My opinion of IDW has changed significantly over the last year. While I had never considered the publisher to be much of a force in the industry, that changed significantly after I read the critically-acclaimed Locke and Key and finally began to test the water of some of IDW's other offerings. Nowadays, there's not much that I don't pick up from IDW.

I was psyched to see that IDW was doing a modern adaptation of Lovecraft's Dunwich Horror as I'm a big fan of Lovecraft and his malevolent Old Ones. While I wasn't disappointed with the adaptation's first issue, I did find myself moderately underwhelmed. The Dunwich Horror feature is only featured in 16 pages of the story while a period adaptation of The Hound takes up an additional 6 pages, all of which are single panels with fancy script captions. While I appreciate that they paired up The Hound and The Dunwich Horror for their common themes (which hasn't been revealed yet) The Hound back-up was sorely lacking and made the issue a disappointingly quick read.

As to the actual content of the story, The Dunwich Horror is pretty different from the original source and sets up a story that could be interesting in future issues. The Hound back-up is nigh unreadable due to their script captions and reminded me how much I hate comics of that nature.

All in all, this is a serviceable read for Lovecraft fans but unnecessary for everyone else.

Story: 7
Art: 3

Overall: 5.5

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:41 am

I won't be able to review this week. My LCS did not have this.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:08 am

HP Lovecraft's The Dunwich Horror #1

I like Lovecraft. I like his stuff a lot and I usually really enjoy modern stories worked into his mythos. However aside from Ian Culbard's illustrated "At The Mountains of Madness" I find that any adaption with a visual element tends to miss something for me.

While I don't have a copy of the Dunwich Horror to hand, I get the feeling it didn't involve any texting, and the decision to move it to modern times is interesting but so far pretty pointless. The addition of technology doesn't add anything to the story and some of the dialogue feels a lot like it's ripped right from the original story making it seem very out of place and awkward. Perhaps it's lucky that any dialogue here is minimal and the art is allowed to do most of the heavy lifting.

Except it's not that lucky. The problem with indescribable horrors and the warped corners of sanity is that any attempt to render it visually can only ever disappoint, and even though the art is nice and painterly it's trying to do a job that can't really be done and any sense of mounting dread is lifted by the underwhelming depictions of animal parts and even compared to this month's Animal Man #2 the body horror here is lacking.

The backup story is a serviceable illustrated story, with pleasant art but fairly hard-to-decipher lettering and doesn't really benefit from being anything other than plain prose.

Overall, a disappointing affair that doesn't do much for me at all and feels very perfunctory and unnecessary all round.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:06 am

HP Lovecraft's The Dunwich Horror #1

I'm probably one of the few who does not get into Lovecraft at all. I've read several stories and was unimpressed by all of them.

That being said, I do love this writer and have never been dissapointed with him... until now. This whole story feels completely dull and boring. There's not much real horror in it and what there is doesn't really impress.

The art is okay, nothing amazing. Headless flying cows are a cool concept but as Zero already mentioned, even that felt unimpressive. To it's credit though, it was still a helluva lot better than last weeks pick.

Story: 4
Art: 4
My Score: 4

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:09 pm

Interesting issue here. The lead story sets to bring the terror of The Dunwich Horror into the present day, but it takes a while to get going. After a nice beheading, the story tries to establish an odd grouping of mythchasers who say a lot without saying a lot in their little meeting. Dull conversation and flat artwork just don't make the story sing like it should.

The back-up story is an excellent re-working of The Hound by Robert Weinberg and Menton3 that captures all of the Baroque eeriness and existential dread of Lovecraft. The paintings are truly gorgeous, and will probably the best part of this series.

The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:11 pm

False Prophet has chosen Wolverine and His Misguided Band of Soon to Be Dead Young Mutants #1 (or Wolverine and the X-Men #1) as next week's pick.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:20 pm

BlueStreak wrote:False Prophet has chosen Wolverine and His Misguided Band of Soon to Be Dead Young Mutants #1 (or Wolverine and the X-Men #1) as next week's pick.

Now you're making me wish I picked Aaron's Hulk #1. :P

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:32 pm

False Prophet wrote:
Now you're making me wish I picked Aaron's Hulk #1. :P

It's okay. I've been asked to limit my anti-Wolverine rhetoric to one comment a day. Therefore, I can only make seven comments about what an idiotic concept Jean Grey's Graveyard for Dead Mutants is. :lol:

(This is all sarcasm, by the way. I'm actually mildly looking forward to this book.)

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:35 pm

Jason Aaron is god.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Punchy wrote:Jason Aaron is god.

One of them. I agree. Scott Snyder is up in that realm too.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:36 pm

I'll take Bachalo over Silvestri any day though. Good Pick!

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:46 pm

BlueStreak wrote:False Prophet has chosen Wolverine and His Misguided Band of Soon to Be Dead Young Mutants #1 (or Wolverine and the X-Men #1) as next week's pick.

OK, I'm sure my LCS will have that one.

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand