Advertisement

Review Group Week #298: Wolverine and the X-Men #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Review Group Week #298: Wolverine and the X-Men #1

Postby Starlord » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:05 am

This was much better than I thought it was going to be, but I'm not as impressed with it as others are I guess.

Spider-Man was better. Damn you Slott for making me eat my words! :smt013

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Advertisement

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:07 am

Starlord wrote:This was much better than I thought it was going to be, but I'm not as impressed with it as others are I guess.

Spider-Man was better. Damn you Slott for making me eat my words! :smt013

That's because Spider Island was the best event of the summer.

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/ ... view.html/

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:33 am

Awesome book. Jason Aaron is the best writer in comics right now. Everything is a hit.

I love the new Hellfire Club. Beast is finally being written as Beast again. The Professor/Wolverine talk was hilarious.

Great job and I will read this as long as Jason Aaron is around.

The only negatives were that Bachalo's art kind of annoyed me at points and I'm never a fan of non-mutants on the X-Men, but those things were minor.

9/10
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:04 am

BlueStreak wrote:
That's because Spider Island was the best event of the summer.

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/ ... view.html/

Excellent article but I have to respectfully disagree with you my friend. Schisms out did this event for me. I think Spider-Island was too long and had the problem of all those pesky mini's and tie ins. Schisms... not so much.

But the final chapter of Spider-Island more than made up for the boredom of the rest of the "event" for me.

"I love you."

*sigh* perfect.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 41 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:31 pm

Loved the hell out of this book. This was without question the best "core" X-book since Whedon's Astonishing run. Bachalo was awesome on it, then again I am a big fan to begin with so I may be biased. And Jason Aaron really knocked it out of the park.

Kid Gladiator!!

The Brood kid!!

Doop as a receptionist!!

This is already more fun and full of fresh ideas than the entireity of Fraction's run had.

A 10/10 book.

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Liked in: 0 post
Title: creep
Formerly: young neil

Postby malcolm reynolds » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:05 am

Holland Oats wrote:Loved the hell out of this book. This was without question the best "core" X-book since Whedon's Astonishing run. Bachalo was awesome on it, then again I am a big fan to begin with so I may be biased. And Jason Aaron really knocked it out of the park.

Kid Gladiator!!

The Brood kid!!

Doop as a receptionist!!

This is already more fun and full of fresh ideas than the entireity of Fraction's run had.

A 10/10 book.

Totally agree, this book was outstanding. And for once the back matter was relevent and entertaining. Aaron is really showing how wide his range in writing is.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:16 am

Wolverine & The X-Men #1 - 'Welcome To The X-Men! Now Die!' - Aaron, Bachalo and Townsend

Story - Surprising nobody, this book was awesome. Ever since this book was announced, I've been at the edge of my seat in anticipation. Jason Aaron, writing a X-Men book featuring a team led by Wolverine? How could it not be one of the best comics out there? I was expecting big things, and this issue didn't disappointed, and hell, it even exceeded my expectations in how fun and crazy it all was.

Of course, I did have some reservations, I think we all thought, in the back of our minds, that the idea of Wolverine being the headmaster of a School is a dumb idea. But Jason Aaron recognises that too. This is a crazy idea. Several characters comment on how this is pretty absurd. Aaron's response is to go; 'yeah, it's crazy, but crazy is good!'

This issue reminds me of some kind of perfect meld of the classic Claremont-era X-Men with the best of Morrison, Whedon and Fraction's runs, but of course with plenty of Aaron's own twist on things. This book at once feels like a return to the past of the X-Men, what with them being back at a School, yet also a leap to the future. The Jean Grey Academy is nothing like Xavier's, it's fresh, it's new and it's exciting. Reading this book I feel like literally anything could happen, and it does.

This issue is pretty much all set-up for the series to come, as Wolverine and Shadowcat take the Government Inspectors on a tour of the school, but that in no ways holds it back from being incredibly enjoyable. Aaron stuffs every page with cool stuff, whether it's an awesome conversation between Wolverine and Professor Xavier, or the sight of Doop as school secretary, or a Danger Room toilet or the introduction of new character Kid Gladiator or a bunch of weird Nightcrawler gremlins. This school really comes alive in the way it hasn't since Morrison's run, and throughout the whole issue I had such a grin on my face. After a few years of grim, species on the brink stories for the X-Men, this book has brought the fun back. Even the back-matter was hilarious, the list of classes was sublime, Sex Ed with Remy LeBeau!

That's not to say there isn't serious stuff going on, the behind-the-scenes-villain of Schism, Kade Kilgore shows up to threaten Wolverine. I imagine that this will be a running plot-line for the series, and I can't wait to see how it develops, and how it clashes with Wolverine's new ideology, how is he supposed to teach and raise kids to not be killers, when his current nemesis is a 12-year-old?

At the end of the issue, the sense of chaos bubbles up and the ground beneath the school explodes into some kind of rock monster. It's crazy, but it makes sense and it's the perfect way to end the issue. I can't wait to see how Wolverine and his team will take on this monster, and how the heck they're going to get permission to keep the school going. Simply put, this is one of the most fun comics I've read in a long time, Aaron has distilled the essence of everything that makes the X-Men great, spiked it with his own brand of southern genius Moonshine and served up a fantastic cocktail of comics awesomeness. Let's just hope Uncanny X-Men #1 is as good, because Wolverine & The X-Men has set the bar incredibly high.

Art - Chris Bachalo's art is one of those 'love it or hate it' kind of deals, but I like his work, and think he's a perfect fit for this book. His art has that same chaotic streak as Aaron's script, it's free-flowing and expressive. This is not your typical superhero team-book, and so it doesn't need your typical superhero artist, and for that Bachalo is a brilliant fit. I loved the two-page spread of the new school in particular, it just looked awesome.

Best Line - 'Wish me luck, Jeannie'

9/10

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:52 am

What are we reading next week?

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 389 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:54 pm

Punchy wrote:What are we reading next week?

Six Guns #1 is my pick.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:55 pm

For the record, I've read Wolverine and the X-Men and will have my review up later tonight.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 344 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:32 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
Six Guns #1 is my pick.

the fuck is that?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 210 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:34 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
the fuck is that?

A modern day western by Diggle and Gianfelice featuring the female Tarantula and the current Phantom Rider among others.

Based on his Rat Catch GN that was the same setting, I expect great things from this.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 344 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:46 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:
A modern day western by Diggle and Gianfelice featuring the female Tarantula and the current Phantom Rider among others.

Based on his Rat Catch GN that was the same setting, I expect great things from this.

A sequel to rat catcher?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:07 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
the fuck is that?

Don't set them up if you can't take them down!' Times may have changed since the days of the Old West, but in the war-torn South American state of San Diablo, the law of the gun still holds sway. When former hero-for-hire Maria Vasquez, alias Tarantula, finds herself wanted for murder south of the border, Texas Rangers Division lawman 'Tex' Dawson is assigned to bring her in. But they're on a collision course with the outlaw Black Riders biker gang, who plan to make sure she never makes it to trial alive... Classic Marvel gunslingers Tarantula, Tex Dawson, Black Rider, Matt Slade and the Two-Gun Kid are given a modern-day makeover in this hard-bitten tale of blood and bullets by the DAREDEVIL: REBORN team of Andy Diggle and Davide Gianfelice. Five heroes, six guns...against six hundred!

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:14 pm

I really like the look of the new Grey Grey School for Higher Learning and the official tour through it was a great way to introduce it as a brand new setting. The characters, both new and old, look like they are all going to be fun. I love the idea of Kid Gladiator attending with his bodyguard.

8 out of 10

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand