Advertisement

Review: Action Comics #3

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 360 posts

Review: Action Comics #3

Postby LOLtron » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:28 pm

Geek Readers take a look at Action Comics #3.

Comic Review Cover

Credits & Solicit Info:

Writer: Grant Morrison
Pencils: Rags Morales & Gene Ha
Ink: Rick Bryant & Gene Ha
Color: Brad Anderson & Art Lyon
Letters: Patrick Brosseali
Publisher: DC

Review:

Despite doing the thing that bugs me most about a reboot, which is using it as an excuse to tell us origins we've already been told, I'm loving this book.  So far we've seen a young Superman feared and hated by the powers that be.  Last issue he was briefly in their clutches, only to escape and show how powerful a being he is becoming.   Though he is unaware of exactly who is feeding him info, the reader gets to see that Lex Luthor is working with some sort of entity in space.

[spoiler warning]  
  So, in this issue we start back on Krypton with the last days.  Instead of a natural disaster leading to the demise of the planet, the people are simply enjoying a party and making a few jokes at the expense of wacky, armageddon predicting Jor-El.  An artificial life form crashes the party, however, announcing that their world was being cataloged in advance of imminent destruction and then begins tearing stuff up.  That's how it came off to me anyhow, I guess it's possible these things were just cataloging stuff because they knew a disaster was coming, but it certainly seemed to me that they were changing things up a bit and having Krypton be destroyed by these things instead.   

Back to the present, young Superman wakes from a nightmare as police force their way into his apartment and rummage through all of his stuff - just to harass him because they don't like the stuff he writes.  This was probably my biggest issue story-wise.  I can believe in flying men from space, but cops entering and searching a reporter's apartment without a warrant just because they feel like it was too much to ask.  My nitpicking aside, they kind of speed through things to show us how the population, and not just the military, is starting to turn on Superman -- though stoning him after he saved a little girl from being hit by a truck was a bit heavy-handed, I suppose it makes the point.

Eventually he ends up at a new smart factory, hunting the story of citizens being put out of work and running into his competition, Lois Lane.  As they argue, we see the same series of events that happened on Krypton start to occur on Earth, as several machines self-assemble into the being that starts talking of cataloging and life destruction. 

Meanwhile back at the military complex that held Superman last issue, we see them getting this soldier ready for some sort of enhanced suit to go after Superman, but they only end up getting "infected" by this same alien life-form.  The issue ends on a cliff-hanger as Lex shouts above the screams to this entity that they had a bargain and this villain asks "Where is Superman?"   
  [end spoilers]   

Like I said at the beginning, I am really enjoying this take on Superman for the most part.  Some of the ideas they are trying to get across come off a bit heavy-handed at times, really hitting the reader over the head with certain concepts.  I think a more gentle approach would flow a bit better, but it's not enough to really mess up the story to me.  The art is a little too sketchy, as the last couple issues have been, though the art in the first part set on Krypton was great.  I'm guessing that was the Gene Ha portion.  All-in-all, great issue and really looking forward to the rest of this run.

Review from thegeekreaders.com

Review by: Geek Readers

http://173.199.169.70/index.php/reviews/comics-reviews/17046-review-action-comics-3.html/
Last edited by LOLtron on Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: JFusion Discussion Bot UPDATE

Advertisement

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 214 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Re: Review: Action Comics #3

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:12 pm

I agree with the heavy-handed part. Some of Clark/Superman's dialogue has just sounded too stiff. The "You need to be the cop you wanted to be when you were a kid" comment and others like it came off as something you'd hear Adam West's Batnan say more than a modern-day Superman.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:20 pm

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
As for the Brainiaic (I'm guessing that's who it was) destroying Krypton, I hope that's not the route Morrison's going for. Jor-El's predictions of Kryptonian destruction that were ignored by the status quo is a pretty important metaphor for our times with the controversy over climate change.

And as for Krypton itself, I'm not sure how much I like it. It seemed too generic sci-fi, and we all know Morrison can do better than that. In a lot of ways, Man of Steel-era Krypton was something that seemed a little dangerous. Stuff like the early versions of the Erradicator always seemingly try to transform the Earth into something more Krypton-like.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 1190 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:40 pm

The Nacireman wrote:
As for the Brainiaic (I'm guessing that's who it was) destroying Krypton, I hope that's not the route Morrison's going for. Jor-El's predictions of Kryptonian destruction that were ignored by the status quo is a pretty important metaphor for our times with the controversy over climate change.

And as for Krypton itself, I'm not sure how much I like it. It seemed too generic sci-fi, and we all know Morrison can do better than that. In a lot of ways, Man of Steel-era Krypton was something that seemed a little dangerous. Stuff like the early versions of the Erradicator always seemingly try to transform the Earth into something more Krypton-like.

I've yet to read it, but...
Seems to me that yes, this is continuing Geoff Johns bit of Brainiac killing Krypton.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:54 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
Seems to me that yes, this is continuing Geoff Johns bit of Brainiac killing Krypton.

A concept that's partly stolen from the '90s Superman animated series.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:57 pm

Herald wrote:

How can DC steal from themselves?

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 1190 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:57 pm

Herald wrote:

Yup!
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:09 pm

Punchy wrote:
How can DC steal from themselves?

When they're not stealing from themselves, but from WB Animation.
WB Animation is NOT the same as DC Comics.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:11 pm

Herald wrote:

It pretty much is.

One Superman story can't steal from another, they all feed off one another.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:23 pm

Punchy wrote:
It pretty much is.

One Superman story can't steal from another, they all feed off one another.

DC and WB Animation are both owned by Time-Warner :evil: , but that's about it. DC had about squat to do with any of the animated series.

- Sons of the Desert

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:28 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:

Still a stupid idea. It takes away from the Jor-El predicting the planet's destruction concept, and being ignored/ridiculed over it. Like I said. It's an idea with a lot of relevance today with the climate change debate. That's how it should have been handled.

- Sons of the Desert

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:39 pm

Herald wrote:

well then, to play devil's advocate, by that logic, wouldn't a very large percentage of the stories done by WB Animation have been "stolen" from DC Comics? yet i don't see anyone taking them to task for that.

the way i see it...good on Morrison for borrowing elements from creators who are far better than he is. :D
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:48 pm

chap22 wrote:well then, to play devil's advocate, by that logic, wouldn't a very large percentage of the stories done by WB Animation have been "stolen" from DC Comics? yet i don't see anyone taking them to task for that.

the way i see it...good on Morrison for borrowing elements from creators who are far better than he is. :D

You couldn't say they were stolen, as they had the rights to adapt them, per se.

- Sons of the Desert

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:56 pm

The Nacireman wrote:
You couldn't say they were stolen, as they had the rights to adapt them, per se.

so what? WB owns DC. i'm pretty sure DC Comics has as much carte blanche now to borrow good ideas from those old WB cartoons as the cartoons had to adapt from vice versa. it ain't like it's the first time the comics have done so...Renee Montoya, Cloe Sullivan, Live Wire, hell even Jimmy Olsen (by name) from the old radio serials all came to comics from other media.

i just don't see the uproar.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:05 pm

chap22 wrote:so what? WB owns DC. i'm pretty sure DC Comics has as much carte blanche now to borrow good ideas from those old WB cartoons as the cartoons had to adapt from vice versa. it ain't like it's the first time the comics have done so...Renee Montoya, Cloe Sullivan, Live Wire, hell even Jimmy Olsen (by name) from the old radio serials all came to comics from other media.

i just don't see the uproar.

I'm just saying it kind of takes away from the story that Krypton was destroyed by outside forces instead of exploding on its own (or caused by some reason by the Kryptonians themselves)

- Sons of the Desert

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand