Tuesday, September 25, 2018 • Midnight Edition • "Outhouser?! We barely know her!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Open for Interpretation Week 1: Superman/Spiderman

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:09 pm

truthfully, my ideal Superman is probably closest to the Timm-verse version. truth and justice, family boy at heart but still...well, not exactly suave as Clark, but comfortable in his own skin...with a sly sense of humor, a bit of a temper, little to no crying, and asskickery when needed.

the animated version's the easy answer, but sometimes that's OK. :-D

superfictious

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:17 pm

chap22 wrote:truthfully, my ideal Superman is probably closest to the Timm-verse version. truth and justice, family boy at heart but still...well, not exactly suave as Clark, but comfortable in his own skin...with a sly sense of humor, a bit of a temper, little to no crying, and asskickery when needed.

I liked the animated version, but at times he seemed like hired muscle.

KillerShrike

cheese

Postby KillerShrike » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:22 pm

Superman: the first movie. Pretty much all the key elements to the character are there and done well.

Spider-Man: I liked the annual where J Jonah gets married and Spidey has to protect him and his family from the Scorpion (Amazing #18, I think).

john lewis hawk

Founder of The Outhouse

Postby john lewis hawk » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:35 pm

Here's a qestion that I was thinking about when I was going to type my response; if Peter Parker was Superman and Clark Kent was Spider-Man, would there be a change and what they be like?

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:48 pm

john lewis wrote:Here's a qestion that I was thinking about when I was going to type my response; if Peter Parker was Superman and Clark Kent was Spider-Man, would there be a change and what they be like?

Peter Parker, the sarcastic Superboy.

Clark Kent, the tall crybaby Spider-Man

Lord Simian

The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:09 pm

KillerShrike wrote:Superman: the first movie. Pretty much all the key elements to the character are there and done well.

Agreed.

And as for Spidey.... Seriously, Ultimate Spider-Man has been consistently good since it's inception, with only one or two weaker spots. I think that if we could get Bendis a writing instructor, or even someone to just tell him "B, you're NOT Aaron Sorkin, please stop writing as if you were", and team him with John Romita Sr, in their primes.... that might be a fantastic run.

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:23 pm

For me,

Spider-Man, the Ditko/Lee years. Those were the stories I read the most as a kid and are still to me, the best in showing just whom he is. A young am struggling to do the right thing, has amazing powers and a quick and nimble mind, but still manages to fail in some part of his life. Like any classic hero, he pays a price for his heroism. The next best would be the Romita years that followed and then the Gil Kane stuff, all Amazing Spider-Man. Meanwhile, the 80s have long hit me, by their description by others as being another defining era for him, but I came back late as in the McFarlane era, and hadn't read much of those.

Superman, that's an easy one, the earliest stories of the 1930s to the mid forties. I read enough reprints (that Superman from the 30s to the 70s hardcover - loved it!) to get a real love for the character. Sure, he's one of the ones you tended to like automatically as a kid. He was everywhere and well known. But for me, those early stories made me get into the character, more so since he was evolving from his earliest "smart-ass" crook-basher, to his more typical boy scout form. Mind you, a boy scout who's cape you didn't still pull. After this, the John Byrne era in the 80s. There he managed to revive the interest I had for the character with those reprints, but with modern styling. It didn't hurt that the '78 movie had captured it as well and he brought that in as inspiration. The change with Lex Luthor was brilliant as well at the time and well played.

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:21 am

Lord Simian wrote:Agreed.

And as for Spidey.... Seriously, Ultimate Spider-Man has been consistently good since it's inception, with only one or two weaker spots. I think that if we could get Bendis a writing instructor, or even someone to just tell him "B, you're NOT Aaron Sorkin, please stop writing as if you were", and team him with John Romita Sr, in their primes.... that might be a fantastic run.

Romita's cool and everything but Bags hit it out of the park with his Ult. Spidey! I still can't get into Immenomen's work on the book, not after following Bagley's for 100+ issues.

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:26 am

For Spidey, I'd say either Stan Lee's run or Roger Stern's. With Superman it's a little harder: I actually have a real soft spot for Byrne's reboot.

KillerShrike

cheese

Postby KillerShrike » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:53 pm

nietoperz wrote:For Spidey, I'd say either Stan Lee's run or Roger Stern's. With Superman it's a little harder: I actually have a real soft spot for Byrne's reboot.

I really wish Marvel would continue the Spider-Man Roger Stern Visionaries. The first volume doesn't collect the truly great stuff he did.

The Man of Steel reboot did a lot of good things, though I didn't like the turning of Luthor into an evil industrialist.

BubbaKanoosh

2009 Most Valuable Poster

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:00 pm

chap22 wrote:truthfully, my ideal Superman is probably closest to the Timm-verse version. truth and justice, family boy at heart but still...well, not exactly suave as Clark, but comfortable in his own skin...with a sly sense of humor, a bit of a temper, little to no crying, and asskickery when needed.

I like the animated version of many DCU's characters better.

superfictious

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:05 am

bump one last time

leave a comment with facebook