Advertisement

The New Review Group Week #1! - AVENGERS #19

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 19 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Re: The New Review Group Week #1! - AVENGERS #19

Postby Frag » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:52 am

John Snow wrote:
lulz, the pres knows nothing.

I thought he was talking about Otte.

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 190 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:22 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:I'm not doing this for Punchy, who is clearly an out of control nazi (not that there's anything wrong with that), but I'll change my pick to Fantastic Four #600.

pussy.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 240 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:10 am

Since Punchy still hasn't added my name to the list (after TWO reviews of Avengers #19)...

Avengers #19

meh.

Words - 0
Art - 7
Overall - 3.5

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:13 am

Amoebas wrote:Since Punchy still hasn't added my name to the list (after TWO reviews of Avengers #19)...

Avengers #19

meh.

Words - 0
Art - 7
Overall - 3.5

That review isn't good enough.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:22 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:I'm not doing this for Punchy, who is clearly an out of control nazi (not that there's anything wrong with that), but I'll change my pick to Fantastic Four #600.

guitarsmashley wrote:pussy.

Agreed

At $8.00 there's no way I'm buying it and at "100 pages of all-new story content", I doubt I'll have time to read it in the lcs.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:31 am

I'm not trying to be difficult here but I myself won't be buying this either. I don't mind spending money usually on a writer that I feel meh to yuch on, but eight dollars is even too pricey for me.

Though last time I looked I'm not on the list either so I think I was excluded for not giving Avengers #19 all tens. :smt102

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:49 am

Amoebas wrote:Avengers #19

meh.

Words - 0
Art - 7
Overall - 3.5

Punchy wrote:
That review isn't good enough.

Fine.

meh meh.

Punchy wrote:Comics are to be scored on a scale from 1-10. 1 being suck, 10 being a damn good comic. Beyond that, there's no right or wrong, unless you disagree with me

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 53 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:48 pm

What is the minimum word count for an acceptable review?

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 28 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:02 pm

The Avengers title has always had a bit of a disjointed feel to it. When the adjectiveless Avengers made a comeback a year and a half ago, it was with the understanding that it'd be the "Big Kids" team that handled the threats the rest of the Marvel Universe couldn't. While the New Avengers were primarily street-level based, the Avengers were supposed to be the premier team. However, Bendis' original line up didn't exactly live up to that standard, with the team completing one adventure before needing to call in the rest of the Marvel world in for assistance. Fear Itself hit the Avengers hard, with two members (not really) dying over the course of the series. Rogers decides to open up another membership drive, which leads to the addition of two new Avengers and one old Avenger. However, the entire issue is very lackadaisical in its approach to the reveal of these new members and highlights the many flaws the series has in comparison to its far stronger sister title, New Avengers.

First, Bendis really mishandles the voices of Storm and Black Panther. Both Storm and BP are regal characters who have a certain air and tone about them. David Liss has captured Black Panther's character excellently in his soon to be ending Black Panther run, even with T'Challa running around New York in an "depowered" state. Unfortunately, Bendis simply treats Black Panther like a commoner and gives the character several cringe-worthy lines of dialogue.

Secondly, the introduction of the "real" Vision is mishandled as well. When we last saw Vision, he was in several pieces in a warehouse somewhere in New York. However, Bendis reveals that Stark has been working on repairing characters for years and magically fixed him last week. Mind you, there's been no hint of this occuring in any Iron Man or Avenger book. One would think that the reintroduction of an Avenger that's been "dead" for almost a decade would merit a little pomp or circumstance, but instead, it's given a page and a half of various characters exchanging quips.

The one saving grace to this issue is the HAMMER subplot and the last page reveal. To be honest, the new and improved HAMMER seems like the type of threats that the Avengers should be facing and the last page has me hopeful that with this mess of an issue, the series will improve in the near future.

Story: 3
Art: 5

Overall: 5

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:24 pm

Zero wrote:What is the minimum word count for an acceptable review?

I'd say at least a paragraph, and a review must contain at least some indication that you've actually read the comic in question, so no 'meh' or 'this sucked' or 'this was OK'. You actually have to review it, actually have to put some thought into it, otherwise what's the point?

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:10 pm

Punchy wrote:
I'd say at least a paragraph, and a review must contain at least some indication that you've actually read the comic in question, so no 'meh' or 'this sucked' or 'this was OK'. You actually have to review it, actually have to put some thought into it, otherwise what's the point?

The point is, 'your' rule allows for it...
Punchy wrote:Comics are to be scored on a scale from 1-10. 1 being suck, 10 being a damn good comic. Beyond that, there's no right or wrong

Let's repeat that last part... "There's no right or wrong". Guess there is 'wrong' after all.

I did read the book (in store) and the only thing I liked was the art (in particular the painting of the (old) Avengers (the team I much prefer over the current ones)). I've nothing further to add.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:11 pm

Amoebas wrote:The point is, 'your' rule allows for it...

Let's repeat that last part... "There's no right or wrong". Guess there is 'wrong' after all.

I did read the book (in store) and the only thing I liked was the art (in particular the painting of the (old) Avengers (the team I much prefer over the current ones)). I've nothing further to add.

Did you forget the part about where I said 'unless you disagree with me'? It's partly a joke, but it gives me the latitude to say that reviewing the wrong Avengers #19 or just saying 'meh' isn't good enough.

Just write a proper review and you can be added to the rotation.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 57 posts

Postby doombug » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:12 pm

:roll: Just let him write what he wants for a review and put his name on the thing dude, prove that you're willing to work with people that want to join your "new" review group.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:16 pm

doombug wrote::roll: Just let him write what he wants for a review and put his name on the thing dude, prove that you're willing to work with people that want to join your "new" review group.

No, that's ridiculous, he's not reviewed the book.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 28 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:17 pm

doombug wrote::roll: Just let him write what he wants for a review and put his name on the thing dude, prove that you're willing to work with people that want to join your "new" review group.

To be fair, I began enforcing this rule back when I was tyrant.

I mean, it's kind of disrespectful to expect people to review your pick when you can't be bothered to give it more than three letters worth of time. If Punchy wants to actually raise the bar on what constitutes a "real" review to prevent people from phoning it in in order to save their spot in the rotation, I don't see an issue with it as long as it's consistent and has easy to follow guidelines.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand