Advertisement

Review: Daredevil #6

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts

Review: Daredevil #6

Postby LOLtron » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:52 pm

Daredevil is in the hottest seat of his life! Find out more in TheGeek's review of Daredevil #6!

Comic Review Cover

Credits & Solicit Info:

THE MOST CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED NEW SERIES OF THE YEAR CONTINUES! Matt Murdock relives some of his late father's worst nightmares as Daredevil meets Bruiser, a fighter who can't be put down and won't fall! How will Matt survive--and how will doing so make him the most dangerous man in the Marvel Universe?

Review:

Daredevil has been in the wringer before (quite an understatement actually), but trust me when I say you've never seen him as screwed as in Daredevil #6. It's not enough that he's got superstrong baddy Bruiser aching to break him in two, he's also got to contend with five rival criminal organizations (including AIM and HYDRA!) all wanting to keep a secret so dangerous it could start a war that will scorch the earth!

And that's exactly why this issue is damn good.

Series writer Mark Waid spins an interesting web of intrigue in this ish, the kind that gets people like SHIELD all shaken up. What last issue described as a simple smuggling scheme has turned into a full-on conspiracy involving the biggest Marvel criminal organizations you know. It's a scary thought, considering these faceless entities have been de-fanged as of late; but Waid is building this up into something big, and I love it.

The conspiracy in question involves one thing: information. Knowledge is power, and when you've got criminal organizations (reluctantly) sharing it, that's when things gets hairy. In the end Waid pulls off a ballsy gambit, though it remains to be seen exactly just what kind of information the major players and DD himself are playing for. It's a mystery for another issue, but the gravity of the situation makes the next issue and all the issues after that worth waiting for.

But if you're here for the punching, there's no shortage. The Bruiser/DD fight is brutal, and props must be given to Marcos Martin for nailing it here and every single issue he's been in since. His style isn't as flashy as Paolo Rivera's, but Martin's no slouch. The art is just as exciting and easy to follow, and Muntsa Vicente's vibrant colors make everything pop. Daredevil is blessed to have art teams this kick-ass every issue!

If this hasn't hooked you into Daredevil yet, there's no hope for you. For this Daredevil neophyte, this is an exciting development, and it says something about the book as a whole when I'm more scared for Daredevil than he is for himself.

Review by: TheGeek

http://173.199.169.70/index.php/reviews/comics-reviews/17454-review-daredevil-6.html/
Last edited by LOLtron on Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: JFusion Discussion Bot UPDATE

Advertisement

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Re: Review: Daredevil #6

Postby Amoebas » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:55 am

A pretty solid issue until the center piece of that 'information' is revealed (scraps of an old FF uniform and the unstable molecules within).

Waid treats it as if it's the rarest of the rare - but as expensive as they are to manufacture, for there not to be thousands of pieces lying all over strikes me as odd. Giant-Man and Wasp used them for a time as do/did: Snowbird, Flatman, WonderMan and basically every X-Man that ever was uses them still.

And if they're such a secret how do villains like Sandman, Goliath/Atlas, Nitro, and a gazillion X-Men foes. The Mad Thinker unlocked the secret of them in his first appearance way back in FF #15. Why doesn't HYDRA just ask him?

And then's there are the Skrulls and thier clothes (which I suspect is where Reed Richards stole Unstable Molecules off of in the first place (Skrulls 1st appeared in FF #2and Fantastic Four costumes first appeared in FF #3 - coincidence?). Especially with all the recent Skrull activity, somebody must have a cadaever somewhere.

A very good issue - but it all falls apart with the costume.

And why doesn't DD just swing over to FF's place and return it? I guess his desk drawer is more secure than the Baxter Building/4 Freedoms.

Rikk Odinson
Society Member

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Rikk Odinson » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:30 pm

Amoebas wrote:A pretty solid issue until the center piece of that 'information' is revealed (scraps of an old FF uniform and the unstable molecules within).

Waid treats it as if it's the rarest of the rare - but as expensive as they are to manufacture, for there not to be thousands of pieces lying all over strikes me as odd. Giant-Man and Wasp used them for a time as do/did: Snowbird, Flatman, WonderMan and basically every X-Man that ever was uses them still.

And if they're such a secret how do villains like Sandman, Goliath/Atlas, Nitro, and a gazillion X-Men foes. The Mad Thinker unlocked the secret of them in his first appearance way back in FF #15. Why doesn't HYDRA just ask him?

And then's there are the Skrulls and thier clothes (which I suspect is where Reed Richards stole Unstable Molecules off of in the first place (Skrulls 1st appeared in FF #2and Fantastic Four costumes first appeared in FF #3 - coincidence?). Especially with all the recent Skrull activity, somebody must have a cadaever somewhere.

A very good issue - but it all falls apart with the costume.

And why doesn't DD just swing over to FF's place and return it? I guess his desk drawer is more secure than the Baxter Building/4 Freedoms.

Those things bugged me too but hopefully, Waid will give a plausible explanation for them next ish.

Either way, this is just about the best superhero comic on the stands currently and I'm really diggin' it.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:28 pm

Amoebas wrote:And why doesn't DD just swing over to FF's place and return it? I guess his desk drawer is more secure than the Baxter Building/4 Freedoms.

that was the part that bothered me. Waid's making a super-macguffiny macguffin to force conflict going forward, rather than creating something which feels more organic. they say the "drive" is unhackable. then what good does it do you, Matt? why not give it to somebody like say, Reed/Stark/Pym/Banner and find out if they can hack it? or for safe-keeping? why paint that target on your back? especially no that you're an Avenger and have more access to those folks...
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:07 am

Another highly enjoyable issue of Daredevil, and one that kicks off what looks like being a long-running subplot for the book, with Daredevil being the target for 5 of the world’s most dangerous super-terrorist groups. Although I thought Black Panther was the Most Dangerous Man Alive? But then T’Challa did steal DD’s numbering, I guess it’s fair turnaround that Matt gets his title. Marcos Martin once again out-did himself in the art department, and showed his versatility, not only did this issue have the usual innovative multi-panelled pages, but he also unleashed two truly awesome splash-pages on our unsuspecting eyeballs. Wonderful stuff, and while I’m sad this is his last issue, I look forward to his next project immensely, and also, Paolo River is still sticking around and he’s no slouch is he? Daredevil truly is one of the best books on the stands, and it’s not just because it’s supposedly ‘light’, it really isn’t as simple as that.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:48 am

Maybe because post-Shadowland Matt Murdock isn't trusted by the majority of the superhero community?

Maybe because Matt is slightly crazy and as has been demonstrated throughout Waid's run, is taking a lot of risks?

Maybe because it would be a boring story if he did?

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:21 am

Punchy wrote:Maybe because post-Shadowland Matt Murdock with the exception of his teammates on the Avengers, isn't trusted by the majority of the superhero community?

Maybe because Matt is perceived by Foggy to be slightly crazy and as has been demonstrated throughout Waid's run, is taking a lot of risks?

Maybe because it would be an illogical and therefore boring story if he did?

Fixed

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:22 am

Amoebas wrote:
Fixed

Do we know if this story takes place after Daredevil joined the Avengers?

HNutz
Fagorstorm

Postby HNutz » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:12 am

I took it as a piece of the FF uniform that was converted into a giant zip drive and filled with info from the 5 gangs. Not that the costume piece was particularly rare by itself but what had been done to it and then what had been stored on it made it valuable.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand