Advertisement

NEW Review Group Week #3 - Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist #1!!!!

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 540 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Re: NEW Review Group Week #3 - Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist #1!!!

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:22 am

Amoebas's review last week.was awesome. What's your problem Punchy? We need Fourthly back here to put you in your place with dozens of obnoxious drama threads.

I was happy to see my shop got this book in nice and early. I drank some brandy and enjoyed a brisk read full of bronze slave girls, Mint the Merciless, and some cheesy but entertaining pulp action. For the most part I've gone out of my way to avoid Alex Ross and his strange golden age obsession, and this book doesn't make me regret that, but I'm also not.sorry I gave it a try. In small doses, it can be fun. As I said, it was a short read, but action packed, taking full advantage of the comics medium's ability to tell a story without walking the reader through every detail. The art was well done but annoyed me. It displayed skill and craft but was ugly. The coloring played a large part in that. This comic shoild be bright, and the pallette isn't necessarily muted, but the whole thing felt muddy. Or maybe that was the brandy. I'd like to donate this review to Ameobas so Punchy will stop persecuting him.

7/10 a solid effort

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:23 am

Amoebas wrote:
:roll:

Sic Semper Tyrannis

More British thought crimes. I recommend another tea party.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:57 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
More British thought crimes. I recommend another tea party.

:lol: I'm so glad your back.

I won't be able to review this right away.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:49 am

Starlord wrote:
:lol: I'm so glad your back.

I won't be able to review this right away.

:-D

Reading comics again rules.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 190 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:07 pm

I'm working on something for the front page then will review this.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 28 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:03 pm

As far as origin stories go, this isn't an awful one. The book focuses on exactly how Flash Gordon and Dale Arden wind up on Mongo and portray Hitler's rise to power as part of a plan to conquer Earth by Ming the Merciless. The characterization's a bit light, as is the plot and art, but that's all tempered by the price point, which was only a $1.00. Probably the best part of the issue was the last page, which is enticing enough for me to pick up the next issue when it hits stands. All in all, it's a fairly standard Flash Gordon comic, fun for fans of the character and a good introduction for those unfamiliar with them but lacking any real punch for anyone else.

Story: 6.5
Art: 5.5

Overall: 6.5

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:48 am

Story
As someone who loves the 1980 film Flash Gordon I thought the opening of this issue was great. I loved how it mirrored the film's opening. The rest of the issue did a good job introducing Flash, Zarkov, Dale and the world of Mongo. I liked how they kept the timeline where they did and used Hitler as a part of Ming's plan for the Earth. The issue was full of action and a quick read but it was still a lot of fun. The $1.00 price was a great idea to draw readers in. I wish other companies would take a lesson from this. It could help readers check out books they normally wouldn't. I'll check out the second issue of this when it's released.

Art
The art here was fairly mediocre. Nothing special but nothing bad either. AT times it seemed to have too heavy of shadowing in it and the blacks used overpowered the colors.

Story - 8
Art - 6
Overall - 7

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 19 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:12 am

Dynamite Comics all feel the same. They are like the kids who had all the best toys, vidoegames, guitars or bikes, yet sucked at all of them. Dynamite Comics are really nicely produced, but usually suck donkey balls. This was no exeption. I've seen less cliches in an episode of Three's Company. This was shit, if shit's goal was to add smelling like vomit to it's repertoire. I've read more interesting Nacireman threads.

Story: 1
Art: 4
Overall: 1

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:18 am

The President wrote:Dynamite Comics all feel the same. They are like the kids who had all the best toys, vidoegames, guitars or bikes, yet sucked at all of them. Dynamite Comics are really nicely produced, but usually suck donkey balls. This was no exeption. I've seen less cliches in an episode of Three's Company. This was shit, if shit's goal was to add smelling like vomit to it's repertoire. I've read more interesting Nacireman threads.

Story: 1
Art: 4
Overall: 1

Now this is a review I can understand. :lol:

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 190 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:15 pm

Growing up I had the 1980 Flash Gordon movie on a lot. I loved it and this comic reignited my love of it. It also though scares the hell out of me because the movie will most likely not live up to my memories. This comic was obviously influenced by it especially when you look at Ming and Dr. Karnov. The art was pretty alright but really it could be more. The story was perfectly serviceable but I really didn't want what I read. It worked too hard to remind me of that movie and having not read or watched any other Flash Gordon stories I wanted more or new stories.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 48 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:58 pm

I think the new Review Group is a lesser version of the old Review Group. There are no fights, no meltdowns and, worst of all, no Fourthy. The reboot has turned out to be another shallow gimmick. We need to return to the old numbering and the old continuity. And Fourthy's death has to be retconned away.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand