Advertisement

Amazing Spider-Man #675 (Ol' ... Old Guy Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Amazing Spider-Man #675 (Ol' ... Old Guy Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:04 pm

The Vulture 2-parter comes to an end and it worked out pretty well. As I said in my review of #674, anything coming after the epic Spider-Island would seem a little disappointing, but Slott and Camuncoli did well at not only revamping one of my least favourite Spider-Villains but also at managing to continue to develop the character of Carlie Cooper and show that just because she’s no longer Peter’s girlfriend she is still important and interesting. I really liked the scenes with Carlie and Spidey working together, they make a good team, and if/when they get back together their relationship will be much stronger. I was once again impressed by how Camuncoli’s pencils worked with Klaus Janson’s inks, their depiction of the Vulture was particularly great. I will say that the new ‘Anti-Spidey’ Police Chief is a little lame, surely recent stories have stopped characters thinking Spider-Man’s a villain once and for all?

Advertisement

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1075 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: Amazing Spider-Man #675 (Ol' ... Old Guy Spoilers)

Postby Grayson » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:10 pm

Punchy wrote:but also at managing to continue to develop the character of Carlie Cooper and show that just because she’s no longer Peter’s girlfriend she is still important and interesting. I really liked the scenes with Carlie and Spidey working together, they make a good team, and if/when they get back together their relationship will be much stronger.

Meh, it's kind of obvious that they want you to believe that Peter and Carlie will get back together but I'm just not that interested in that story. Peter and Mary Jane getting back together? I'm in. Spidey and the Black Cat giving it another go? I'm game. Hell, even Peter and a new relationship with an existing Marvel Character like Ms. Marvel would be highly entertaining. I just don't care for Carlie or her relationship with Peter. She feels too forced...I mean, if I didn't know any better, I would say that she was planted in Peter's life and a way to ensure that he doesn't undo his deal with Mephisto.

I was once again impressed by how Camuncoli’s pencils worked with Klaus Janson’s inks, their depiction of the Vulture was particularly great.

I wouldn't call the art terrible or anything but I am a little disappointed in the artistic style of the past 2 issues. Personally, I don't feel that it matches the story very well.

I will say that the new ‘Anti-Spidey’ Police Chief is a little lame, surely recent stories have stopped characters thinking Spider-Man’s a villain once and for all?

You would think. I mean, after all Spider-Man is a card carrying member of the Avengers (a fact that he will readily share with anyone) AND everybody knows that he is the real hero of Spider-Island. At this point having anybody but JJJ hate Spider-Man is just maintaining an outdated status quo.

MistaT
penile prisoner

Liked in: 10 posts
Title: ThreadKilla

Postby MistaT » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:16 pm

I like Carlie and hope she sticks around for a while at least.

spidertour02
rubber spoon

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Engineering The Future

Postby spidertour02 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:30 pm

I really can't stand Mary Sue -- er, Carlie Cooper, so this issue was annoying as fuck. Thank goodness they kept this crap to two issues.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:41 pm

spidertour02 wrote:I really can't stand Mary Sue -- er, Carlie Cooper, so this issue was annoying as fuck. Thank goodness they kept this crap to two issues.

How the hell is Carlie Cooper a Mary Sue? All the people who have written her are men, are you saying the likes of Slott, Waid, Wells, Guggenheim and more want to have sex with Spider-Man?

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 247 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:49 pm

Punchy wrote:
How the hell is Carlie Cooper a Mary Sue? All the people who have written her are men, are you saying the likes of Slott, Waid, Wells, Guggenheim and more want to have sex with Spider-Man?

Carlie Cooper ain't no Mary Sue. She's the Chameleon DUH!!

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

spidertour02
rubber spoon

Postby spidertour02 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:23 pm

Punchy wrote:How the hell is Carlie Cooper a Mary Sue? All the people who have written her are men, are you saying the likes of Slott, Waid, Wells, Guggenheim and more want to have sex with Spider-Man?

You do know that she was named for Joe Quesada's daughter Carlie, right? :wink:

Sasher McSmasher
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 510 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby Sasher McSmasher » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:27 pm

My favorite part of the issue was the ending, "Thats not my Spider-Sense tingling, that's my Peter Parker Sense", it's never good when your ex's get together.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:29 pm

spidertour02 wrote:
You do know that she was named for Joe Quesada's daughter Carlie, right? :wink:

So? Are you saying Joe Quesada wants his young daughter to have sex with Spider-Man?

spidertour02
rubber spoon

Postby spidertour02 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:39 pm

Punchy wrote:So? Are you saying Joe Quesada wants his young daughter to have sex with Spider-Man?

Do you even know what a Mary Sue is? :lol:

Follow the flow of logic here:
(1) Quesada busts up Spider-Man's marriage.
(2) Quesada introduces character named after his daughter.
(3) Said character becomes the most idealized character in the series, including having other people break character to talk about how beautiful and awesome she is at everything. (She's perfection personified, apparently, though this is an informed attribute because nothing on the page actually supports this.)
(4) Said character gains undue importance to the ongoing narrative of the series, to the point that she's actively resolving plots.
(5) Said character begins dating the main character, quickly eclipsing every other supporting character. This also leads to a sudden increase in her job status.
(6) Said character begins to be be propped up at the expense of the main character, who is portrayed as being selfish and wrong about everything related to the character.

Yeah, that's practically the definition of a Mary Sue.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:41 pm

spidertour02 wrote:
Do you even know what a Mary Sue is? :lol:

Follow the flow of logic here:
(1) Quesada busts up Spider-Man's marriage.
(2) Quesada introduces character named after his daughter.
(3) Said character becomes the most idealized character in the series, including having other people break character to talk about how beautiful and awesome she is at everything. (She's perfection personified, apparently, though this is an informed attribute because nothing on the page actually supports this.)
(4) Said character gains undue importance to the ongoing narrative of the series, to the point that she's actively resolving plots.
(5) Said character begins dating the main character, quickly eclipsing every other supporting character. This also leads to a sudden increase in her job status.
(6) Said character begins to be be propped up at the expense of the main character, who is portrayed as being selfish and wrong about everything related to the character.

Yeah, that's practically the definition of a Mary Sue.

No it's not, it would only be a Mary Sue if Carlie Quesada was writing the book.

Psivage
FROGMAN

Liked in: 25 posts
Title: shake it baby, shake it good!
Formerly: Cat-Psivage

Postby Psivage » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:45 pm

What's a mary sue?

both made by Cat-Scratch

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 247 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:29 pm

Psivage wrote:What's a mary sue?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 670 posts
Title: *NEW*
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:55 pm

spidertour02 wrote:I really can't stand Mary Sue -- er, Carlie Cooper, so this issue was annoying as fuck. Thank goodness they kept this crap to two issues.

A complaint from spidertour02? I'm SHOCKED! SHOCKED I TELL YOU!

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 483 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Since when is sex a definition of a Mary Sue?

A mary sue is a character he is too good at everything, usually at the expense of other characters.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand