Advertisement

Uncanny X-Force #18

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 344 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Uncanny X-Force #18

Postby Zechs » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:43 pm

Wow. Just wow. Words fail me at how awesome this arc was. The finale was just perfect. It's a good end, while the seeds for the third entry to this Apocalypse epic Rememder seems to be have planned is laid out.

I got an almost Dark City vibe with how the kid Apocalypse was being treated. Also what is it with the Kents pulling appearances in Marvel, but not DC? This and Carnage had two homages to them. Come on DC even your goddamn rivals know why they where a necessary point in the Superman Mythos that Bryne and the Animated Series put in. However back to Kid A, the name he chose reminds me:

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
So this kid is fully Apocalypse right? Cause the name Genesis was one taken by Cable's son Tyler. Who later got killed by Logan.

The only negative I could say is how disjointed Sunfire was at the end. One moment he's blasting AoA Bobby and the next he's trying to contain Holocaust (I like Genocide too but really that's his name screw Marvel taking the easy way out).

All and all, best X-Men story in years. Blows the Messiah Trilogy out of the water and Schism.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Advertisement

contramundi
cheese

Liked in: 8 posts

Re: Uncanny X-Force #18

Postby contramundi » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:01 pm

spoilers plz

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:05 pm

contramundi wrote:spoilers plz

Zech's is crazy

Hab

contramundi
cheese

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby contramundi » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:10 pm

habitual wrote:
Zech's is crazy

Hab

:-D

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 156 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:13 pm

Fucking amazing arc.

The Dark Angel Saga is an instant top 5 X-Men arc all-time. It's ridiculous how good this was. Claremont-in-his-prime good.

And the conclusion.. wow.

Those last few pages. Jesus. I mean, it was pretty obvious how this would end.. but that was rough. And then that final page? Awesome. Remender has made me care more about Warren in 18 issues than I have in a very long time. He's been kind of thrown around for the past decade or so until now.

Archangel is dead and purged from him.. and Warren stumbles out of the rubble, but has no memory? Verrry interesting.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 344 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:02 pm

habitual wrote:
Zech's is crazy

Hab

No... Hawk was the mad one. There is no madness in the method of Zechs!

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1466 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:56 pm

Full Spoilers Within:

This issue begins on a good note as the heroes begin to gain some ground against Archangel and his minions. AoA Sunfire engulfs AoA Iceman and his ice duplicates in a raging inferno, while Deathlok literally reasons his way back into control of his own body and takes down War just in time to save X-Force and the AoA X-Men who were defeated last issue.

Fantomex and Psylocke confront Archangel, Psylocke is quickly defeated but Fantomex distracts Archangel long enough to brag about hooking up with Betsy. The distraction proves ineffectual though as none of Fantomex's strikes really seem to matter. After taking down Fantomex, Archangel stabs him through the forehead into his brain with his own knife.

Dark Beast, Pestilence, and War (who was previously defeated by Deathlok) have escaped back into the Akkaba Metropolis where Dark Beast announces that he is in charge now, they will be retreating to a new location, and that Pestilence is pregnant with Archangel's heir.

Despite having a knife sticking out of his brain, Fantomex is still alive and able to contact Ultimaton. He tells Ultimaton to play a message and "let him out." Ultimaton warns him that the subject isn't ready but Fantomex tells him to do it anyway.

Psylocke has recovered and is angry that Archangel took Fantomex from her. He accuses her of being a weak woman with no identity but Betsy unleashes all her power claiming that she is more than he will ever know. This is enough to momentarily incapacitate Archangel, buying Betsy the time that she needs to strike him with the Life Seed...but she hesitates thus giving Archangel time to recover and thrown her through a wall and off of a cliff.

Inside of a virtual reality program, Fantomex appears at a small country farm. A young man named Evan, who looks a lot like Apocalypse, lives with an elderly couple named the "Sabahnurs." He refers to Fantomex as "Uncle Cluster" just in time for good old "Uncle Cluster" to tell him that the world that he knows is about to disappear. His world does in fact disappear and he wakes up inside the World. Ultimaton is taking care of him and tells him that he now has to save them all.

Having defeated Psylocke and Fantomex and having no more obstacles in his way, Archangel makes his way to Doom Fountain to conclude his plans only to discover that AoA Sunfire is now absorbing all of Genocide's energy, preventing the fountain from jump starting evolution. The distraction allows Evan to engage Archangel. Unfortunately, he wasn't ready to face Archangel yet and is quickly outclassed and overpowered. Waiting in the shadows, Psylocke quickly takes advantage and finally plunges the Life Seed into Archangel's chest, reverting his mind back to Warren.

Fantomex and Ultimaton speed towards Sunfire, hoping to help him before Genocide's flames burn him out, however they arrive too late.

As Warren lays dying, Betsy attempts to comfort him. She enters his mind and allows him to live an entire lifetime with her, complete with two children. Together they grow old, watch their children grown up and get married, and then when they are old Warren peacefully slips away while Psylocke calls him her hero.

Back in reality, Fantomex desperately attempts to bring Betsy out of her trance as the World is crumbling around them. She wants to be left with Warren but Fantomex convinces her to leave. When they pick up Deathlok, we discover that at least Wolverine, Deadpool, AoA Sabretooth, AoA Nightcrawler, and AoA Jean Grey survived and that Deathlok was able to recover control of his body discovering love. He also proudly proclaims that he loves his team. AoA Jean Grey congratulates Betsy on her victory while in the distance a very naked Warren wanders through the snow. Betsy runs to him and kisses him, only for him to ask "Who are you?"
ImageImageImage

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:45 pm

Great ending to a great arc. One of my favorite X stories of all time. I found this post while slumming at the CBR boards from Remender which raises a very interesting question about Warren at the end.

I might regret doing this, but I saw a few things here I figured I'd clear up for the folks who enjoyed the story.

Warren did die. His mind is 100% gone, he's dead.

What/who was that at the end?

The AoA spin off series and the creative team involved are incredible, miss it at your own peril. Marvel isn't launching new ongoings lightly. The team have crafted an exciting and smart comic.

Hurling casual insults, judging a book before you read it, it's called "contempt prior to investigation" and it's a bad thing to do. Give that first issue a read, you'll see.

Rick

George_Kaplan
rubber spoon

Postby George_Kaplan » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:49 pm

Is it my imagination or
did Angel's wings at the end still seem somewhat metallic?

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 722 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:51 pm

George_Kaplan wrote:Is it my imagination or
did Angel's wings at the end still seem somewhat metallic?

i thought that too.. they didn't look how the feather wings usually look.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1466 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:54 pm

e_galston wrote:

Yup, they were definitely a mixture of his organic and metallic wings.
ImageImageImage

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:07 pm

e_galston wrote:

I thought the same thing. I'm actually glad they're keeping something of Archangel with Warren.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:34 pm

Yeah I've been saying since issue 1 that this was the best book Marvel was putting out and it still holds true to the end of this epic story. Rememder has knocked this book and all it's characters right out of the park.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:02 am

DeadFett wrote:
I thought the same thing. I'm actually glad they're keeping something of Archangel with Warren.

Remember, though.. Archangel had become a completely seperate entity within Warren. Very Phoenix-ian. But Warren's body had undergone the transformation into the metallic wings years ago. That was a done deal. I don't know why anyone would expect his real wings to return just because the Archangel being inside him was killed.

As for Remender's quote from CBR.. I can see that. In a way, Warren is dead, sure. With his memory completely gone, he's no longer the same person. It should be interesting to see where they go from here with him. It's basically a clean slate. As long as Remender gets to continue his story, I trust him fully. It's only when other people get their hands on him that I worry, mainly for what I said earlier.. Warren has been horrible mistreated as a character throughout the years, until recently.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:03 am

Also.. what happened with Kid Apocalypse? At first I thought he died, but then they took his body with them, so I guess not.

Does he join Logan's school? Go back into The World?

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand