Advertisement

NEW Review Group Week 5! Black Panther:TMDMA #526!

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

NEW Review Group Week 5! Black Panther:TMDMA #526!

Postby Punchy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:26 am

Blah Blah Black Panther

Black Panther: The Most Dangerous Man Alive #526
as selected by Stephen Day

The President has next week's pick

Comics are to be scored on a scale from 1-10. 1 being suck, 10 being a damn good comic. Your review must be at least a paragraph to show you've put some effort in, but beyond that, there's no right or wrong, unless you disagree with me :P

The President/Frag It
PacidermAvenger
BlueStreak
Guitarsmashley
SilverPhoenix
Deadfett
Eli Katz
Ameobas
Punchy
Jude Terror
John Snow/Amlah6
Starlord
Stephen Day

Eventually, I will put together all of our reviews and we will have our very own article on the front page of The Outhouse! If you would like for your review to be included, please try to have it posted by the end of day on Tuesday.

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Re: NEW Review Group Week 5! Black Panther:TMDMA #526!

Postby Punchy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:46 pm

Updated

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 661 posts
Title: *NEW*
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:25 pm

Sounds like something Stephen Day would pick. :roll:

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
I like the title a lot personally

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 474 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:03 pm

O then E

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 34 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:41 am

So this is why I decided to join the Review Group, to try books that I haven't been reading.

I've heard a lot of good things about this Black Panther run and this issue made me want to go back and pick up the rest of the series. It wasn't perfect though. The story was basic, but interesting. I liked that BP acknowledged that he couldn't take on both Lady Bullseye and Typhoid Mary. One of the things that I didn't like about Black Panther was that he was Marvel's Bat God. Showing him have some weakness was great. I also enjoyed the funny bit in the kitchen.

My only problems came about in the last two pages.

1) the chess match is such an overused cliche. I'm sick of it. Also, anyone who has ever played chess would know that going from being in check to checkmating someone means that either you are amazing or that person sucks.

2) Black Panther getting help from Cage and Falcon. Really? His two best buds are conveniently both black? Was Misty Knight unavailable? I'm sure Captain America or Iron Man wouldn't be much help? This is like Nacireman writing a book with Ryan Conklin, Matt Ryan and himself all fighting Randy Orton. It's gratuitous and stupid.

The art was ok. There was a bit too much shadow stuff, but I'll live.

Story: 8
Art: 6
Overall: 7

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Harbinger of the Ponypocalyse
Formerly: Lord Solaris, Discord

Postby SilverPhoenix » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:33 am

The President wrote:Black Panther getting help from Cage and Falcon. Really? His two best buds are conveniently both black? Was Misty Knight unavailable? I'm sure Captain America or Iron Man wouldn't be much help? This is like Nacireman writing a book with Ryan Conklin, Matt Ryan and himself all fighting Randy Orton. It's gratuitous and stupid.

The art was ok. There was a bit too much shadow stuff, but I'll live.

I really don't get the issue you have with this. If nothing else, aren't Captain America and Iron Man in enough monthly books already?
Last edited by SilverPhoenix on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:36 am

The reason Luke Cage showed up was because he's been a presence in the background of the book for a while now, making occasional guest-appearances. The Falcon... he's just under-used, so it's cool to see him.

Plus, what with the covers to this arc, I think Liss is going for a bit of a 70s Blaxploitation vibe, so grouping a bunch of Marvel's best black characters together makes sense. I do with Iron Fist was involved though.

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Postby Greg » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:37 am

How's this any different from a white character asking his white buddies help for a team up? :smt017

Plus, T'Challa has a history with both. He's fought along side them both. Luke and him got really close during Hudlin's run and Luke sorta became his unofficial best man. They've sorta been on shaky ends in this current run but ended up on the same page. T'Challa built Falcon's Vibranium wings.
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

Frag

Postby Frag » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:40 am

SilverPhoenix wrote:
I really don't get the issue you have with this. If nothing else, aren't Captain America and Iron Man in enough monthly books already?

My point is that instead of integrated BP into the MU, they try this dumb stunt of getting all the black characters together for no reason.

It's like if GL Jon Stewart teamed up with Cyborg and Black Lightning instead of calling the GLC. Or that terrible story (I don't remember what comic it was in) where all the MU women teamed up - including Sue Storm, because the rest of the FF wouldn't have been a big help right?
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Greg » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:46 am

...Despite that the character already has a history with those two characters? Or maybe they both fit the tone that the writer is going for? Maybe he's a fan of them? But of course if a creator wants to put black people together, its forced and needs a specific reason for it to happen, but a regular fully white team up is normal? Oh, I see where this is going.
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

Frag

Postby Frag » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:53 am

Greg wrote:...Despite that the character already has a history with those two characters? Or maybe they both fit the tone that the writer is going for? Maybe he's a fan of them? But of course if a creator wants to put black people together, its forced and needs a specific reason for it to happen, but a regular fully white team up is normal? Oh, I see where this is going.

No you don't see where this is going. Don't jump to conclusions. I'm not GOSD or Thunderstorm so don't put that shit on me.

The fact is that they were put together for that reason. It's the same reason they married BP and Storm as well.

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Greg » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:58 am

The President wrote:
No you don't see where this is going. Don't jump to conclusions. I'm not GOSD or Thunderstorm so don't put that shit on me.

The fact is that they were put together for that reason. It's the same reason they married BP and Storm as well.

I didn't compare you to GOSD or Thunderstorm. I just described pretty much what you're saying. I've heard this argument so many times over the years I've been reading comics: Get a group of black characters together, it's forced. Black people in comics can't have just a regular team up, they need to have a specific reason as to how/why they're teaming it as it apparently doesn't feel "realistic" for it to happen. Is that not what you're saying?
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

Frag

Postby Frag » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:03 am

Greg wrote:

I didn't compare you to GOSD or Thunderstorm. I just described pretty much what you're saying. I've heard this argument so many times over the years I've been reading comics: Get a group of black characters together, it's forced. Black people in comics can't have just a regular team up, they need to have a specific reason as to how/why they're teaming it as it apparently doesn't feel "realistic" for it to happen. Is that not what you're saying?

There needs to be a context. BP is an Avenger. Luke is the leader of an Avengers team. Why wouldn't they call in the rest? Why would he choose these two characters? What are their expertise? Now, maybe in the next issue it turns out he needs a guy with unbreakable skin and a guy who can fly. Then I will take it back, but at the moment it looks like an editorial mandate to pander.

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Greg » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:07 am

The President wrote:
There needs to be a context. BP is an Avenger. Luke is the leader of an Avengers team. Why wouldn't they call in the rest? Why would he choose these two characters? What are their expertise? Now, maybe in the next issue it turns out he needs a guy with unbreakable skin and a guy who can fly. Then I will take it back, but at the moment it looks like an editorial mandate to pander.

Maybe the writer just wanted to write them and liked the history T'Challa had with both? It makes sense for Luke to be there given his guest appearances in the run. Falcon is a bit of a wild card and is good with espionage and is already a trusted ally to T'Challa. He called in two of his friends who he trusts, I see no reason why this is getting a suspicious eye. Given that T'Challa and Kingpin are also turning this into a chess type match, T'Challa knows both characters well enough that he trust in their skills and know it's their skills that will work for their specific plan? :?
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

Frag

Postby Frag » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:08 am

Ah I found it. The Lady Liberators in Hulk 7-8. That was stupid (Loeb of course).

http://michaelmay.blogspot.com/2008/12/ ... -hulk.html

:lol:

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand