Advertisement

NEW Review Group Week 5! Black Panther:TMDMA #526!

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Re: NEW Review Group Week 5! Black Panther:TMDMA #526!

Postby Frag » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:58 am

BlueStreak wrote:
Didn't all that take place in the same story, though?

Unless Wolverine keeps his Hand membership card handy to prove how edgy he is to the Avengers or something...

Someone doesn't know the Hair Club For Men commercials... :smt011

Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

Advertisement

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 170 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:59 am

The President wrote:

i do... :cry: :cry:
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:00 pm

The President wrote:

That commercial was made the same year I was born. :P

Besides, unlike certain Southern lawyers, I have a full head of hair and have never really paid attention to hair commercials.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:02 pm

chap22 wrote:

i do... :cry: :cry:

Beat me to the joke. Damnit. :smt013

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:03 pm

BlueStreak wrote:
Beat me to the joke. Damnit. :smt013

takes some of the sting out of the joke if i make it first.*

* no, it really doesn't.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:09 pm

chap22 wrote:takes some of the sting out of the joke if i make it first.*

* no, it really doesn't.

Look at it this way while I haven't a clue what Frag was talking about, being bald gives you a fuller range of knowledge about culture, putting you ahead of me. Hair.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:19 pm

BlueStreak wrote:
Look at it this way while I haven't a clue what Frag was talking about, being bald gives you a fuller range of knowledge about culture, putting you ahead of me. Hair.

you're a dick. :lol:

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:22 pm

chap22 wrote:
you're a dick. :lol:

Sadly, this started off as a genuine comment. Then, I noticed that I was two words away from getting another bald joke in.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 389 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:44 pm

With this issue the Kingpin's plan for Wakanda is revealed, and it makes sense, not that I thought it wouldn't with a writer as good as Liss is. The reveal is an important one though and I was pleased that it left me feeling very satisfied with the story.

As for the rest of this issue, it was great fun seeing T'Challa act as a detective as he figured out which of the Board of Directors of the Bank of Wakanda betrayed him. The end of the fight scene with Lady Bullseye and Typhoid Mary was fast and fun as well.

This gets an 8 out of 10.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:47 am

This Review Group is pretty sad. More people need to participate.

Next week I am either choosing Activity #1 by Image or Amazing Spidey. Both are starting points.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 389 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:57 am

The President wrote:This Review Group is pretty sad. More people need to participate.

Next week I am either choosing Activity #1 by Image or Amazing Spidey. Both are starting points.

Most of the reviews tend to come in at the last minute.

Expect a flurry to come tomorrow and Monday.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:12 am

The President wrote:This Review Group is pretty sad. More people need to participate.

It's always slow over Christmas, people have other stuff to do.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:29 pm

To preface, this review is obviously biased. I've said repeatedly that David Liss is one of the most underappreciated writers in Marvel's employ, and it's a comment that I've stood by over the last year. Black Panther has been a great read over the last year or so and has excellently handled a spin-off of a terrible event that could have been equally disasterous. However, Black Panther has consistently been one of Marvel's better titles, providing a gritty feeling book that showcases what a strong character Black Panther can be when written well. Unfortunately, due to low sales, Black Panther is getting cancelled and so Liss is ending the series by bringing the book full circle and tying the book in with both Shadowland and Wakanda.

In this issue, T'Challa discovers the reasons behind the Hand's attacks on Wakandan nationals and begins to devise a counterplan. Both the Kingpin and Black Panther enter into a dangerous game to try to manipulate the other into making some mistake that they can take advantage of. One of the running themes of the series is how formidable BP is both physically and mentally, so it's great to see him in a situation that tests all of his skills at the same time.

While Martinbrough's art isn't as strong as Francavilla's, it's still servicable and doesn't take away from the story too much. Unlike Frag, there were a couple of scenes that I wished was a little more muted, but then again, there were also a couple of scenes that were needlessly draped in shadows.

Story: 9
Art: 8

Overall: 8.5

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:14 am

Black Panther: The Most Dangerous Man Alive! #526 - 'The Kingpin Of Wakanda' - Liss, Martinbrough and Serrano

Story - I was never a big fan of the Black Panther as a solo proposition, I liked him as a member of the Avengers, but on his own... he was kind of boring, too perfect, not really a Marvel character as I perceive them. But then he lost his extra-abilities, lost his country and sought to replace Daredevil. Suddenly I liked him a lot more, he was fallible, he could get his ass mightily kicked, and the threats he was facing were just a little bit more interesting than bloody Man-Ape.

This issue continue's the Panther's struggle against perhaps the most iconic of Marvel's street-level villains in the Kingpin, and really does showcase that T'Challa is very much deserving of his new sub-title as 'The Most Dangerous Man Alive'. The action sequences in this issue were brilliant. You could tell they were well thought-out, and it was fantastic to get a running play-by-play of what's going on from Black Panther's perspective, you really understand how great a fighter he is. Even when things go wrong for him (which they do frequently in this book), he manages to think up a way out of it. It's way more interesting to see a character use his brains rather than relying on a magical metal like Vibranium or on his wife Storm as he used to. I mean, when was the last time the Black Panther ran away from a fight? Well, he does it in this issue, and it makes perfect sense. This is a hero refreshingly aware of his new limitations.

But that doesn't mean that Black Panther is now a coward or something, in a scene that even the new, half-crazy Matt Murdock would probably balk at, T'Challa breaks into the Kingpin's fortress and confronts him. This exchange is probably the best thing David Liss has written, and it really was wonderfully tense (even with the cutaway gag of Typhoid Mary and Lady Bullseye eating ice cream, which was damn funny), and with Martinbrough's excellent use of shadows, very cinematic. What makes this sequence even better is that both Black Panther and Kingpin believe they are manipulating the other, believe they are pulling the strings. Who actually is, well that's anyone's guess, but it insures that the conclusion of this arc is going to brilliant. Which is good, because whilst it's sad that this book is getting cancelled, at least it's going out with a bang.

And what a bang it's going to be, with Black Panther calling in a cavalry that consists of Luke Cage, Power Man and The Falcon. Yes, these characters are all black, and some readers may read something dodgy into that, but I think it's done for one reason only, and that's because Liss is really trying to hearken back to the 1970s with this book at the moment, look at Francavilla's awesome covers, they are the very essence of Bronze Age Marvel. So what better way to celebrate that, than bringing in the Blaxpoitation Hero that is Luke Cage, and Captain America's 70s Sidekick Sam Wilson? It is unfortunate however that, given the season, Liss didn't have Luke say his famous catchphrase. Altogether now... 'Sweet Christmas'.

Art - I mentioned Shawn Martinbrough's use of shadows in the main body of the review, but it bares repeating, the man is a master of using darkness and shadow in his work, and he's ably assisted by colourising Felix Serrano. This comes in very handy for a book set entirely at night. Martinbrough's art really comes across like a mix between this series' two previous artists, Francesco Francavilla and Jefte Palo, and that means it's pretty much perfect. I particularly loved the interrogation sequence, where T'Challa is reduced to nothing more than an outline and two demonic yellow eyes, brilliant technique there.

Best Line - 'It will be less nurturing than that'

8/10

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:37 am

The President has chosen...

Amazing Spider-Man #676!

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand